What's with Tesla drivers? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What's with Tesla drivers?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimEakin, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Out in the 430 getting coffee today, a model 3 spotted me. Came racing up from about a mile back, then dusted me at a stop sign... I guess that made him feel good.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here's my Tesla experience for the day. A Tesla driver was tailgating me on the freeway for about 2 miles. We both got off the same exit and he pulls right next to me on the first stop light. I really didn't want to make eye contact, but the Valentine One starts beeping so I was on a lookout. He thought I gave him "that look" and yep... you guessed it. He shot off like a jack rabbit on the green light and got nailed by a city cop a few blocks later. I estimated he was going about 65 on a 35 MPH zone.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. Here in the Bay Area, Teslas are a dime a dozen. Even with the ubiquity, I've never had a Tesla challenge me once in the seven years I've owned Ferrari. That said, I believe your experiences. I think my area regards them as vanilla vehicles, even 'uncool.' (I know I do.)

The best thing you can do is ignore them, and leave the street racing to the Fast and Furious crowd. When I have an itch for speed, I visit the track with my Ferrari. I generally rely on the pyramid of speed when judging the cred and bonafides of other drivers.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    You just made my morning :D

Rokas Skyrius, IloveGT and daytona355 like this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    These Tesla drivers are always trying to see if they can out accelerate me on my motorcycles, I cant figure out why they think its so cool that their cars are fast 0- whatever, what they dont know, is that no one cares, when it comes to electric cars , there quickness does not matter, because in my estimation they are not cars, they are electric motors with wheels..PERIOD, ( and right ugly as well ) i always rub it in when I smoke them through the gears on the back wheel while I wave goodbye .Ferrari and all the other once great Italian car makers should be ashamed of themselves for producing anything with an electric motor, as well as SUVs,,,

Tifosi Dude and JTSE30 like this.
  6. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I recently purchased Prius Prime and I love it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Thank you for this! Made my morning. Id ask them about the Nürburgring time for a model S and how that is working out for them. Im sure some drivers that actually know that these cars (Teslas specifically) aren't designed to handle track conditions would whine about how that is irrelevant when driving on public roads but I don't see the point in drag racing at stop lights either. It's unsafe I loved the segment on Grand Tour (season 3) where James May suggests that in real world driving conditions all this extra performance doesn't translate to a faster commute (its the episode where they drive in Georgia). In that case, performance in on track is kind of the only performance that really matters in the end.

I think electric cars are overall a needed transition for our species and I think Elon is doing a good thing. But the technology is still evolving and Tesla's are not equipped for serious track racing. Someone beating a Ferrari in the 0-60mph is nothing new. Kids in sport bikes have been doing it long before Tesla drivers. Why would I care now? A Ferrari is just overall a more fun car for those that appreciate it. I wouldn't let some insecure driver desperately seeking validation ruin it.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I honestly dont really find Ferraris all the fun anymore. Sure they look and sound awsome, and half the thrill is knowing the price tag.

Yet I find them stressful to drive. Always having to watch out for drivers not paying attention to the road while staring at your car, tail gatling, people snapping photos, driving side by side with you on the highway for an extended length of time, worried about parking it anywhere, constant thoughts of expensive repairs etc.. not relaxing or fun at all.

A seriously fun car is a Subaru WRX for example..even throw the Miata in the mix, heck a 5.0l mustang is great fun to drive. And yes a Tesla with insane mode turned on is well...insane..

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Tesla cars can have ludicrous mode. Elon is the one with insane mode.

JAM1 likes this.
  10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Tom,

It’s impossible to adequately describe how I understand and relate to what you’ve just wrote. To make matters worse, I live in a highly populated neighborhood: if I go for a drive in the middle of the afternoon, I have the same amount of people at my door trying to see me and the car than OJ Simpson had at his house.

That’s why I choose to go for a drive between midnight and dawn, not without risk either: at high speed, night vision is severely reduced and it’s harder to avoid any potential obstacles on the road.

Seriously contemplating buying another car, a Porsche or something, to enjoy myself, lay low and have a carefree spirited drive without worrying where I park or check my watch to choose the best hour of the day to avoid people when entering home. Won’t stop enjoying or buying Ferraris, but just to have the choice of not being all that noticed.

Some people go beserk when they see a Ferrari, namely a new one. And they feel entitled, carte blanche-like, to chase you in any way their gut tells them to, because in their mind you’re on a public space. As if they’ve just spotted a Hollywood actor or the President.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua and daytona355 like this.
  11. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I am a 2016 Tesla X owner who also owns 2 Ferraris, one of them for more than 35 years.. Ferrari ownership can be a highly an emotional and engaging experience, although sometimes not very rewarding. However, I must admit there are times when I jump into the Tesla and actually drive it to enjoy what it delivers in spades....utility, crossover style, seamless acceleration and handling improved by a low center of gravity. The Tesla has been serviced annually and that's it. Zero $$ spent otherwise. When I have a need for engagement II get my jollies elsewhere..

So many people know about the Tesla's acceleration capabilities that I have been more often bothered by other drivers pulling along side and asking me to floor it so that they see it in person. Seriously, what econobox driver or fill in the blank does not secretly want to see every Ferrari or Lambo humbled at some time or another?

I am shocked by how much commentary this thread has received. Live and let live I say. Prius or Tesla....spend your money and drive what you want. Don't hate. Otherwise we are just like them hating on us for all of our imagined shortcomings and attributes.cuz we drive Ferraris!

Now personally, I am far more annoyed by other Ferrari owners who advise me that I should have bought a red one instead of TDF for enhanced resale value. I do not intend to hijack this thread. No additional comments are necessary!

Boomhauer, BOKE, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I am usually traveling considerably quicker than most traffic and I really don't get too much, "I want to tangle with this guy" stuff. But if it does happen, these characters are good to about 80mph before they crap themselves with an exotic on their bumper. After they soil themselves, you can continue unabated.

Not that I would admit to doing anything like this, but I'm just saying.... :)

Texasrecurve and daytona355 like this.
  13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You are clearly better off working on them and not driving them! :)

daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think in order to get to the top of the pyramid, we all had to make our way up. I know I did.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Driving the cars as part of my job is a bit different then driving for enjoyment. When I road test a car I'm looking for problems or making sure the work I performed is proper and has fixed the customers issue.

It's a completely different mind set.

16. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    I also work both sides of the street I guess, 612 OTO HGTE and P90 D. I Don’t get the hater stuff (with the possible exception of Prius HOV lane blockers). Both Tesla and Ferrari are exotic in their different way and move sort of above the masses in unique way. I think there are many more of us with both, appreciating the differences but loving the technology that propels them in an unconventional way. In some cases the Tesla drivers want to see and be seen by the Ferrari drivers who are still at the top of the food chain in reality. Maybe looking for a little recognition, a glimpse into the club as it’s about the only other thing that can catch up and really play. I too have been attacked by annoying Camaros and Wrxs , but they seem to Harass me in both cars almost equally. But still nothing like the sound of 7000 rpm in the Ferrari for a really good drive.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

FerrariTexas and daytona355 like this.
  17. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I figured it out ;)
    The Tesla drivers are all married, they begged and begged their wives for a Ferrari.
    She put her foot down and made him get a Tesla, and ..... he is still pissed off.
    Do you see any women driving a Tesla doing this ?
    See .......there you go.

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Excellent post as always. Nuno look at the Quattroporte gen 5.5.
    I've had mine for a few months, it's glorious. Perfect daily driver. Created under the full auspices of Ferrari (during the time they owened 100% of Maserati and before the Chrysler sharing of parts) and one of last cars penned by Pininfarina.
    Very under the radar, yet F430 engine + 4 doors!!
    This video shows how it sounds with a tubi.

Icing on cake is they are dirt cheap.

I personally kept my exhaust stock as I have other cars for that.

AlfistaPortoghese and daytona355 like this.
  19. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Ahhh, quattroporte, one of the most underrated and beautiful large sedans ever... I’ve had a couple, and loved them. You are bang on, there’s nothing to dislike about them, great car, comfortable, carries pretty much everything but the kitchen sink, and goes like a much smaller, nimbler car when you want to teach someone in an M5 a lesson

paulchua likes this.
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Teslas are certainly not "exotic " And yes buy whatever makes you happy. This thread I believe is talking about why Tesla drivers try an engage other cars or bikes. They should concentrate on racing other tesla drivers.. Ferraris are boring because Ferrari has engineered all the driving experience out of their machines..PERIOD ...The 430 Manual box is the last of the breed when it comes to driving experience , and even that car has driver aids that buffer you from the road.

21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I respectfully disagree Gino. Depends how fast you are willing to travel mate. My 458 at full pelt was very very engaging and you could still put her in the reeds if you didn’t concentrate properly, even the same with my Cali T. I
    Have maxed both out, and once you get to the high revs, they are awesome machines to control

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Texasrecurve likes this.
  22. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Tesla drivers have replaced Prius drivers who in turn have replaced the old Volvo drivers on the road.
    Envious woke drivers all who if they cannot change your behavior (and they are trying!) they try to shame you into a dark corner using technology as their bludgeon.
    Many a sci-fi writer have predicted the future dystopian uniform society but humans have a nasty rebellious streak!
    Forza Ferrari!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This so true! I've had the same observation over the years. (Well, except for the above mentioned berserk birds. But those guys started out with slower driving in the left lane.)

daytona355 likes this.
  24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Maybe because all these cucks are driving side by side, bumper to bumper like the stupid herd of cows they are at just below the speed limit, while in front of that herd is an empty and wide stretch of highway?

Guantanamera, Elisesko and daytona355 like this.
  25. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’ve had the Tesla challenge driving both the 488 and the 308. It’s bizarre. I don’t care if you’ve got a rocket strapped to your golf cart. I wouldn’t trade and I don’t know why they’re so hell bent on proving how quick they are... particularly against a classic Ferrari. I wouldn’t mind challenging these clowns to a power up where I fuel my car from empty and they charge their Tesla. Who’d win that “race”?! o_O

Interestingly no Tesla has tried me in the 720. Bikes rarely do either. I don’t know if it’s just chance or if word is out enough that they don’t want to risk loosing.