355 - CHECK THOSE FUEL INJECTOR/PUMP RELAYS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 CHECK THOSE FUEL INJECTOR/PUMP RELAYS

Discussion in '348/355' started by 4RE4EVR, Aug 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    When I see dyno tests before and after, with no other changes, on a statistically meaning full sample, I'll buy that. But hell, most people never see the full potential of a 100% stock Honda Civic. Most people will never drive these cars anywhere near their full potential. I know I certainly won't. But I do know that every decent weekend I get in my car, turn the key and it starts. It runs correctly. No misfires, No hesitation. Mile after mile. I couldn't be happier with my car.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Indeed. Strippers have to be properly calibrated for the gauge of wire being stripped. I remember during my apprenticeship days having to strip wires using a razor blade, then the instructor checking my work with a magnifying glass. A gentle touch with a razor blade can often result in better stripping than some of these dodgy made-in-third-world-country automotive strippers. When using a razor blade, you make four angled (45 degree) cuts around the circumference of the insulator. If the razor is sharp enough, you can feel the resistance change when you reach the wire core.

I can't say I've seen any old fashioned disposable razor blades recently, though. They're all encased in plastic cartridges for user safety.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #28 Qavion, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    I only did that out of necessity. One of the previous owners installed the wrong harness making it impossible not to get a CEL without some dodgy modifications. It also looked very shabby where the harness is dragged through the firewall (5.2 car).

I've also been working with a fellow F-Chatter (in PM) on an engine harness problem. Vibration/stress on one of the old ECU harnesses resulted in a wiring fault hidden from view under the black plastic sheath. The insulation had broken on a power wire and was causing some very strange symptoms such as a permanently active ignition/injection relay (with the ignition off). It was a 2.7 car and the problem seemed to be affecting both sides.

4. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Have fun finding a new harness......the 5.2 355 has most of its harness problems from wear at the point where it goes through the firewall. The 2.7 not so bad. There is a company in the USA that will make you a new harness if you send them the old one. Cant remember where they are.

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I got mine through Eurospares about two years ago sourced from the Ferrari factory. I think they still make them to order. Took less than a month, I recall.

6. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I remember about 9 years ago someone came into the shop with a 2.7 355. Had to do the service. I took him for a drive in my car. His eyes popped out. When he got back to the shop, he said to the tech that he wanted his car to run like mine. When he picked it up it did. I drove it one day and was jealous. His lower end pull was slightly better off the line because he had the gruppe M intake. If you are happy with a stock factory 355 then great, but when you experience the full potential of a 2.7 355 with a few things tweaked, its like driving a whole different car.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    348, new harnesses are available everywhere.

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    What roughly does that cost?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    About 2 years ago, £1,214.45 plus postage and handling. It might have been a little more for the 5.2 F1 harness (?)

I see F1 car harnesses are now up around £1,500 (U$1875) at Eurospares . This is for part number 175038.
    For car assembly number 28622 and above, the price is significantly cheaper £1,050 (for part number 178205).

Double check my part numbers ;)

Good to see you back on the forum :cool: