Need help with sdl light please!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help with sdl light please!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Filippo7673, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Yes did put both new wiring was correct and not swapped

2. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Would injectors give cel and sdl light if that was the problem

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It would if it dumped fuel and it ran rich...
    Can you post the ECU codes, pull them, its really needed it likely tells you the exact issue.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The crankshaft sensor.

Even if you changed the sensor, the codes may remain in memory until you clear them. Also, sensor wiring can still be a problem, oil contamination of the sensor plug, etc. There have been problems with sensor wiring which only appear at high rpms, which seems to fit your first post description.

Can you recall if the sensor was gapped properly?

When you say you changed the crank sensor, are you doing the work yourself? If not, does your technician have a wiring diagram for the 5.2 car so he can check the ECU to sensor wiring? Pin 20 and 78 on the ECU are the crank sensor pins. The third pin is an earth. Shake the wiring when you are doing continuity checks.

I see quite a few of us have had accidentally swapped over thermocouple ECU plugs on the right side of the car. Professional Ferrari technicians aren't infallible, either! There are two on that side (one for the right hand cat, one for the exhaust bypass valve). The only way to figure out if they are swapped is to do wiring checks from the ECU (or swap them over and go for a drive or two). The bypass cat uses pin 73 on the ECU. The right cat uses pin 15.

If you need a diagram...

5.2 Engine Management Diagram

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    P0341:

What the P0341 code means. P0341 is an OBD-II generic code that says the engine control module (ECM) detected the engine camshaft position sensor circuit is not within specifications. The sensor pulses do not correlate to the pulses of the crankshaft sensor.

I would ask Filippo to double check the actual code.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    In addition to what has already been said....

Here is the order I would check things if I got a SDL on my 348 (I know not a 355):

1) swap cat tcu's from side to side to see if sdl/cel jumps side
    2) swap thermocouples from side to side to see if sdl/cel jumps sides
    3) spark plug wires to make sure there isn't one shorting, and spark plugs to make sure they all are burning clean
    4) coolant temp sensor/s (if the ECU/s aren't getting the correct coolant temp the fuel mapping will be off)
    5) coolant temperature (coolant temp needs to be consistently above 176ºF in order for the ECU/s to get out of secondary fuel enrichment mapping (also related to #4)). If running too cool a new thermostat is in order (this is more common than you think)
    6) crank sensors, ecu/s need to know where the crank is in order to fire properly
    7) ignition control module swap from side to side
    8) coil packs swapped from side to side
    9) bank 1/4 cam sensor
    10) O2 sensors swapped side to side
    11) resistance of MAF/s (on a 348) reading 383ohms, not sure what the value is for a 2.5/5.2 Motronic 355/f129 (???) is so verify ohm resistance
    12) resistance of the throttle position sensor/s is correct, and that the ecu/s have gone through a cold reset/relearn of the start up parameters
    13) fuel injectors are clean and flowing properly, I sent mine out to get tested and cleaned (348/f119)
    14) fuel pressure is at proper level, if not new fpr/s
    15) condition of the female pins on the wiring harness, at both the Motronic end and the end connector to the parts on the engine
    16) a new eprom/s for the ecu/s may be in order if everything else checks out fine

Hope that helps

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not sure Ian. This issue is not the same as what Grant is having. The solid SDL is a different clue. It is possible that the cam sensor is bad and the ECU is not able to adjust the ignition to the right timing and therefore the car is running rich causing the SDL. Also an SDL will almost always throw a Ferrari specific OBD2 code and I was looking for that code to show up, even as a pending code. It is hard to help in this case because Fillippo is not working on his car, just providing the information.

As for Grant's car, I think it's time for him to start at the basics and work out a plan to eliminate possible causes, one at a time.

Qavion likes this.
  9. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    ty to everyone who helped out. finally got car running perfect. And now I can finally say I am a proud owner of a badass 355. long story short after going over the entire car and changing out parts it all came down to motronic ecu. Car runs flawlessly now revs like no other, finally installed capristo exhaust/bypass valve and this car sounds amazing. Cant stop driving it lol

ernie and Qavion like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ouch. Expensive fix. Anyway, it's good to hear everything is ok now.

Thanks for the feedback!

phrogs likes this.
  11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the feedback Filippo.

Did you put in a new eprom, overhaul the Motronic, or buy a new unit?

12. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Had it overhauled

ernie likes this.
  13. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Ty this car is amazing

14. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    always good to see a happy ending to a thread!