It's not funny, and I'm not drunk. | Page 273 | FerrariChat

It's not funny, and I'm not drunk.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Apr 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Unusual end to dinner at the new Italian restuarant in Coolum tonight... owners wife and 4 kids arrived in pajamas after being evacuated ahead of the Peregian fire which has claimed 10 homes since 5pm this afternoon. They had a friends apartment to stay in Coolum for the night but my friend now has their gorgeous kelpie in her care as she has a fenced backyard; surf club is an evacuation centre and I'm currently waiting up to see if anyone needs a place for the night... scary stuff.

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks awful

3. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    No office work for me today - road north is still closed, office is safe but no power in the village of Peregian... office is only a couple of hundred metres north of the destroyed houses... Company name seems horrible ironic this morning - "Sparks Architects" (boss is Dan Sparks). Unbelievable disaster for many...

4. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Very scary.

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Kids playing with matches, it's a familiar story, but no less tragic for the people who lose their homes.

I wonder how frequently fuel reduction burns are carried out in the bush that backs onto the Sunny coast?

Thankfully we have a liberal govt in NSW, which is not frightened of the Greens at election time, so we have regular burn-offs across populated areas.

Maranello550 likes this.
  7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    :)

Arctic tours ship MS MALMO with 16 passengers on board got stuck in ice on Sep 3 off Longyearbyen, Svalbard Archipelago, halfway between Norway and North Pole. The ship is on Arctic tour with Climate Change documentary film team, and tourists, concerned with Climate Change and melting Arctic ice.
    All 16 Climate Change warriors were evacuated by helicopter in challenging conditions, all are safe. --Maritime Bulletin, 4 September 2019

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Steve355F1 likes this.
  9. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein

..................and that'll be a nuclear powered vessel leaving zero pollution as would have been the multiple rescue helicopter trips to pick up these waste's of space.....

Steve355F1 likes this.
  10. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
  11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is pretty much impossible to do for anything more than a few seconds, and then only if you were competing in the 'Darwin Awards". Aside from the fact that the car is not even in the same universe as true Stage 5 autonomous vehicle functionality, the vehicle prompts the driver to apply force to the steering wheel every 30 secs or so. If you don't respond immediately the vehicle decides that you are not in control (like duh!) and slows down and pulls off the road. So to be able to go to sleep as the vehicle merrily pilots itself down the freeway to your destination is complete nonsense. The video is obviously staged.

moretti and kena like this.
  12. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Dunno if any of you watched the ABC (Qld) news on the Sunny Coast fires tonight but there was a shot,near the end of the report,of a lovely white 901 (911 for those that don;t know) series E sitting in an open carport with the backyard of the carport as black as .......well you can fill that in yourself....The rego number of this little survivor...HOT901 !!!!!!

I'm sure Wes will know the car.

13. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    L.A. traffic is ridiculous...

Thanks to an accident I had a 2.5 hour trip to go 60km (all freeway), and I'm gathering that this isn't unusual.

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Had similar in 1980 but also had dense smog

15. kerrari

Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Sounds like the Bruce Highway - average speed to Bne on a good day - 55km / hour...

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    UK starting to look like Melbourne.

and

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  18. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Just use a satellite phone you cheap bastard :p

You don't have to put up with traffic or dickhead drivers so some grief has to come your way

The infrastructure gets subsidised by us city folk so I get incensed when remote country people say they want competition and choice like us city people FFS

You can't have your cake and eat it ..... want choice and decent rates ? Then move closer to civilisation

There are 2 choices in remote places, either satellite or microwave links (which have taken the place of wires and poles) which cost a fortune .

It's like electricity, if you live in the grid area then it's reasonable, but if you live where there are no power lines then SOMEONE has to pay for the infrastructure to be put in place to get the grid to you and it's normally the first person in the area but in this case a satellite service can bypass the land infrastructure option but it will cost a lot until they get more people in the area

19. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    John as per the gov't of the day you have NFI what you're going on about.

These are communities from Laura north.

The Cape gets thousands of visitors,suppliers,road workers,emergency services,scientist,environmental folk,Murri's,
    Are you suggesting that a Satphone mob should set up shop at Lakeland so all these folk can have access to the outside world.?

And WTF are you getting up me about a link I put up.

20. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I wasn't meaning you, I was meaning the guy in the link who was batching

And yes, a satphone shop is the way to go

Putting in mW dishes every 20-30 kms gets very expensive plus the maintenance would outweigh the commercial cost of the users

When I do My trip around Oz I plan on buying a satphone.... hang the expense when I need a phone for an emergency

What do you use when you're out of range in the West?

21. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Smoke signals.

That’s why he has an old Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

kerrari likes this.
  22. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Well good luck with your satphone when you go to Lakefield 'cos for some reason they don't work there.....and if you aren't going there well there's not much left to see that's worth while except for Fruitbat Falls and it'd be cheaper and quicker to hire a chopper to go and see those.

As for every other communication...UHF with a booster...someone somewhere will hear you.