Cars being impounded because of out of state plates | FerrariChat

Cars being impounded because of out of state plates

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by 1monza, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    During the Monterey weekend this year. A friend of mine, a resident from Oregon driving a Porsche with Oregon plates was pulled over by the CHP. They told him they were pulling over cars with out of state plates. Supposedly several Lamborghinis' and McLarens were impounded being accused of CA state tax evasion. They were accused of registering cars out of state to avoid paying the CA registration fees and taxes. Anybody else hear this and have more info?

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Sounds about right! Honestly, there is nothing this state won't do. Get dealer plates and call it a day! While it's still legal

GTUnit likes this.
  3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    At a cars and coffee on the Labor Day weekend I saw a guy with a 330 cab with Montana plates. I did not detect any road grime on his car given his very recent grueling drive from Montana! It was all shiny and pretty.

Everybody knows the Montana sales tax/registration fee scam. I am sure California cops know it too. So I would think a rare car with Montana plates would be like catnip to cats for them.

Also, there is the insurance issue. Is the owner insuring the car as located in Montana? If he is and has an accident, you know that the insurance company will be looking for an out, especially on a multi million dollar claim if the car is a total loss. If he is telling the insurance company the truth about the location, that is exhibit A in his fight with the great State of California when they seize the car.

I don't think I would be making such a gamble with a multi million dollar car.

Bullfighter likes this.
  4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Out of state car is ok with: out of state driver's license, address, insurance, plates and hopefully a state not too far away as you clearly commute!

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Insurance companies, at least USAA, don't care where the car is registered. The car is insured and they know all the details already.

I've used Montana registration for things before, things that aren't obvious and overt and never had an issue. For my 360, I'm paying the sales tax and registering it in Tennessee. No sense sticking it in their eye.

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Call it what you want, if it's registered legit and you have residence or a business in that state your good

I have cars registered on both coasts, sometimes the cars are on reversed coasts.

Never seen a law out of state plates are illegal except maybe down south for Calli plates LOL

7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I dont disagree as long as you have a “real” residence or business in the state of registration. The problem arises when someone creates a “sham” residence or business for the purpose of justifying the state of registration. This is the typical structure of the Montana scheme where somebody creates an LLC in Montana for the sole purpose of owning and registering the car in Montana and has no other connection with the state. Here is an article that discusses that. The same logic applies to registration in other states of convenience as well.

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of-the-montana-license-plate-scam-1711216059

Bullfighter and Ray Smith like this.
  8. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Its no wonder people are leaving this state in droves.!
    If these vehicles that have been impounded were minding their own business this is nothing short of harassment.!
    Cant wait to move out!

9. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I went to car week in Montery in my 458 with Montana plates and had several CHP behind me as we were in a rally from LA to car week and no issues.

Now if I got pulled for speeding maybe they would question me.

10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I suspect you got lucky because the CHP is generally well aware of the out of state plate registration scam and Montana is the poster child for that. If you don't think the CHP cares, here is the CHP web site to report cheaters.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

Note the lead in statement is: “Did you know that the State of California loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries?”

Ray Smith and Texas Forever like this.
  11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FWIW, CA is not unique. Plenty of states do this.

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Legally out of state vehicle and even out of the country vehicles can be driven in CA for 30 days, after that you have to show proof of residency or business.

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    “Did you know that the State of California loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries?”

But how many millions do they make by taxing the used cars to death and raping everybody on gas, tickets, registration, tolls, tows, etc. Yeah, a 250 GTO sells for $70million of course they want their $7,000,000 in sales tax. Of course at that point you probably wouldn't worry about the $

Mickyd329, ExcelsiorZ, RWP137 and 2 others like this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sfo is still safe and easy to navigate via car or on foot. Same as always.

TAS37 likes this.
  15. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    In SF, you just need to watch where you step.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And in fact CHP has been doing it for quite a few years at the behest of Sacramento.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    #17 junc, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Resurrecting an old thread here but thought I should pass it on. My car storage guy just told me that another client of his who has a GT3 Touring with Montana plates has a problem.

He went to Crystal Cove mall in Newport coast to get some coffee on Sunday and when he came out several officers were there. They identified themselves as dmv enforcement officers (didn’t realize there was such a thing) and requested his information. He now has to appear in front of a judge. These officers were going through the parking lot of the mall checking license plates of exotics . They said they were part of some task force.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ghibliman, ag512bbi and Texas Forever like this.
  18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Jun,
    Thank you for the heads up. I bet it Sucks for many collectors.

junc likes this.
  19. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Man 2019 thread..lol

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    But 2021 problem!

sparetireless, Flash G and ag512bbi like this.
  21. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #21 RonH, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Only for tax cheats! Chrystal Cove is my home shopping center. I take my cars there every day. There are usually some great cars there as eye candy (even more before they closed down the Saturday cars and coffee). Here are my Ferrari’s plates (sorry out of town so I don't have a picture with current tags, but they are current). The tax man has no interest in my car as all taxes were and are paid. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But any “collector” who wants to attend and show off his vintage car with Montana plates is welcome to do so. Unfortunately wallet size has never been a good measure of intelligence.

ForzaV12, Ray Smith and TTR like this.
  22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't get it, want to live in CA, then obey the laws of CA. Otherwise move. Maybe to Montana?

Whenever I see the Montana tax scam it immediately raises the question of what else are they scamming. If you're willing to break the law and cheat the govt for a few grand in taxes in an obvious way to drive a flashy car, you're probably scamming a whole lot more behind the scenes...

TKSA, PenP, ForzaV12 and 3 others like this.
  23. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Maybe California could lower our ridiculous tax rates on pretty much everything (state income tax, 10 percent sales tax, property taxes, crazy renewal and registration DMV Fees, gasoline tax [paying nearly $5 for a gallon of premium) if they didn't have "several officers" roaming a parking lot early Sunday morning to harass people gathering for Sunday morning cars and coffee. So happy to see my tax dollars so usefully put to work :(

koisokok, Wittlebit, RWP137 and 5 others like this.
  24. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    That's the point: It's not "just a few grand." We're talking tens of thousands of dollars or more.....and its every year. If you buy a 288GTO for say $2.3 million, a car whose original price was $83,000, up which sales tax was paid when it was originally purchased, in California you'll be paying ~$230,000 in sales plus additional fees! Then every year thereafter you'll be hit with a very substantial registration renewal fee of ~$15,000.

Scale this down and it is still a real issue. You buy a Bentley, Mercedes or Aston Martin SUV for $200k you are paying over $20,000 in DMV fees and then over $1300 in DMV fees every year.

The solution is for California to lower its taxes and more wisely spend its money. California has a $76 billion dollar budget SURPLUS! This fact, in and of itself, shows the excessive taxation in California and last year was the first time more people left California than moved into California.

Wittlebit, RWP137, ghibliman and 5 others like this.
  25. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ExcelsiorZ, Get on the recall ballot and you have my vote!!!!

Wittlebit and ExcelsiorZ like this.