360 F1 2-1 shift oddity | FerrariChat

360 F1 2-1 shift oddity

Discussion in '360/430' started by rquad, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Stock '99 360 F1 Coupe. A couple of times I've had something interesting happen in a 2-1 downshift. I don't think it's a problem so much as a quirk, but I'd like to hear from anyone else that may have experienced this...

When slowing to a near stop, with RPMs very low, I "requested" first gear. The first time this happened in heavy traffic and the car stumbled really bad, almost went dead, caught and came back to life. The second time it happened, I had just turned right and was heading up a hill and the car did go dead.

At no other time does any shifting seem out of the ordinary.

My guess is that I asked for 1st at the same time the computer was deciding it should go into first, and it got confused. No harm done either time, but I can see how it could be a problem depending on the situation.

Maybe I should request first sooner anytime I suspect I may need it, and make sure to keep the RPMs up?

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    FWIW, personally, I never downshift into 1st. I only engage first gear when at a stop. With that said, not sure why you are having the issue of it stumbling or stalling. I did downshift into first once by accident. The RPMs went up pretty good, bu the car never shut down or stumbled. I find there's usually adequate torque to remain in 2nd for most parking lot and slow speed stuff.

3. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I've always felt 1st gear is a bit quirky. I use 1st gear to get moving, and never really get on it until I'm in 2nd. I don't think I've ever needed to shift from 2-1. Most of the time when I come to a stop, I go to N (only downshift when moving fast to use the engine to help brake).

My thought is that on an F1, in the absence of a 3rd pedal, the computer controls the clutch. So if the computer was managing it properly, the engine should never stall. But I'm sure I don't fully understand how that all operates (quite likely). Perhaps someone who does know will chime in and provide some insight.

4. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Technically speaking there is always enough power to do all from 2nd gear. If you ever push the slippery when wet button, the car will never go into 1st gear.
    Ferrari's way of better traction control when it's slippery is to start in a higher gear.
    BTW, Mine has stalled once or twice, haven't a clue when or why anymore. Didn't even give it a second thought at the time, I've done that in almost every car I've ever owned. Manual and Automatics alike. YMMV :)