308 emission equipment. | FerrariChat

308 emission equipment.

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308GTS2B, Sep 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS2B

308GTS2B Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen Safari
    Hello all,
    Aside from the catalytic converter,the blower, and the belt associated with it, is there other components to the emission system on the 308?
    Are FI and carborated different in the above equipment list?
    Are the components visible from the engine compartment?
    Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge
    Cheers!

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Or visible but the charcoal canister and EGR valve should be in good working condition.

3. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Are you planning to remove all the CAT related equipment? Im thinking about doing the same...depending on all the requirements and pros vs cons

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You can look at the Parts Diagrams for the various cars of interest and see the differences in the emission equipment.

308GTS2B likes this.
  5. 308GTS2B

308GTS2B Rookie

Aug 13, 2019
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen Safari
    Don’t do it, man.
    Your resale value to several states will be shot. I’m trying to buy one that is intact for So Cal.
    If you do, keep everything and put back before any sale consideration.
    Best,

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All I can say about this is: If you have never driven a 308 with ALL of the DOT garbage taken off, then you have not experienced the true performance of this model. The car was never designed with all that stuff in mind. Everything was added later because they had to not because they wanted to. Hell, the bumpers alone are close to two hundred pounds! Not to mention the constricted breathing on the carb cars.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, where to start:

The North American cars beginning in 1976/77 had R1/R2 points and a microswitch to control them.
    Air pumps are the most visible, but the charcoal canister and tubing is important (and not an engine power loss.

For 1978 it got more involved, adding catalysts, and also there's a flap in the air box snout that solenoids closed.
    These cars were stinky in the garage.

I can see losing the cam driven air injection, that always seemed to be risky. You could do the same with an electric pump.
    Some plug the nozzles, which can melt and bend in the head, and plug the openings.

Altering the CATS is against the law and as some noted ANY removal does reflect on future markets for the car.
    Always, seeing where you are on the A/F and 4 gas analyzer tells you if it's better, or worse.

NON CAT cars are valuable, for a reason!!!!

8. Joe Stanton

Joe Stanton Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2020
    Central Coast area of California
    Full Name:
    Joe Stanton
    OK to comment on an old post in this forum? I am looking for California experience on registering a 76/77 308. This discussion about emission control system is critical to my purchase choice and decision. So, is it true that the system must be intact and functioning to register and pass smog test? Also I have to guess but could use with confirmation that the test would be required at 76/77 specs. A dealer in another state tells me that since it is over 40 years old this is all waived, which I am unsure of due to my own struggle to register a 1962 VW dune buggy (but it has other issues VIN related).

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    It is supposed to be. Two years ago the guy went over my car and checked every hose connection and studied the vacuum diagram closely. He spent a lot of time checking for stuff. Last week, same shop (same guy? I don't know) and it was a dyno session, a minute with the flash light around the engine and good to go. They have no idea what they are looking at. They get Camrys all day and would spot anything amiss. This guy hasn't seen a 308 since the last time I was there. Heck, he probably hasn't see a Ferrari of any kind since the last time I was there. I thought about EFI. It wouldn't be legal, but I think it is likely to not even be noticed if it looked halfway OEM. So in short the answer is legally, yes, it all has to be there.

1975 model year and older are exempt in CA. It's not 40 years. The only 308s that are exempt are the first of the GT4s. I don't know what the specs are or if they have relaxed or tightened over time. My '84 had numbers well below the stated "average", but that's the whole point of the K-Jet injection.

One more thing - depending on where you live in CA you might have various smog exemptions available to you. I live in Santa Clara County, so I have none of those.

10. Joe Stanton

Joe Stanton Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Stanton
    Thanks for the info. I live in SLO county. I doubt I do either, but good to know there are such. I'll check into it.

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #11 lm2504me, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    I live in SLO county and get my 78 308GTS smogged every two years.
    PM me to discuss about smog testing in SLO. I used to own a 76 308GTB with a thermal reactor.
    Carb jetting changes are needed to get a pass.

Joe Stanton likes this.
  12. Joe Stanton

Joe Stanton Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Stanton
    Will do, thx.

13. MartyJayFray

MartyJayFray Rookie

May 21, 2021
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Martin Frankel
    Brian, tried to get a hold of you on Facebook messenger, but speaking of 1975 cars, I think I purchased your old 1975 308 GT4 (white over blue interior) this last weekend in LA and just brought it back to the bay area. Wanted to touch base to see what engine is actually in at as well as any other quirks / mechanical history you can give.

Also, if you are interested in her making a visit or doing a meetup happy to oblige.

14. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #14 Beta Scorpion, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Including all the relays, valves, hoses, indicator lights, connectors, dashpot, carb components, microswitch, air injectors, distributors, spark plugs, sensors, gas cap, one way valve, three way valve, vapor separator, check vales, extra hoses, extra shielding, etc, there may be a hundred components, maybe more.

15. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I just got my US 85QV smogged yesterday in Orange County, CA. It has everything on it, original cat, O2 sensor, except I have a Tubi exhaust on it. I always had my mechanic to do it for me last few years past but I decided to bypass the middle man this time. I was very surprised that it passed with very low numbers comparing to state's average. I didn't even try to lean out the air/fuel ratio adjustment on the fuel distributor. The OEM cat I used is like new unused that I borrowed from a friend that owns a 84 US QV. I think that was the ticket.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jbrauer, 308inSD, BLACK HORSE and 2 others like this.