488 value | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 value

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FL410guy, Sep 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    I love the way my 488 spider looks handles sounds (exhaust permanently open)I’m having so much fun driving it now while all you guys wait and see what prices will do most of us are just having a whole Lotta fun right now wait for what there are no Ferraris in heaven!Yea wait 6 months - 1yr price drops 50 god for bid health issues or whatever that stops purchase the 50 won’t mean ****,find the spec u like for fair market value & have fuuuuuuun!

2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is absolutely the longest run on sentence of 2019 in fchat. Sorry can't help it.

Graz and pdxjim488 like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This is too good. The song "the circle of life" from Lion King just pops up in my head.

alibo70 likes this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I agree with Ray.

I mean:

458 0-60: 3.0 seconds
    488 0-60: 3.0 seconds
    F8 0-60: 2.9 seconds

Is this really why we buy the Ferraris we buy?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

daflk, IloveGT and Chizz like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #30 Il Co-Pilota, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    With all due respect. I think your statement is not fact, but opinion. You cannot state as fact that the 458 is a better all around car.
    I have at least 2000 km behind the wheel of the 458, if not more, and I am of the complete opposite opinion.

If you take away the sound, which is a purely subjective thing, I find noting about the 458 that is objectively better. Some of the things I prefer with the 488 are subjective things, such as looks and sound. But the obvious things, especially when we are debating the Spiders are very tangible.

Here's some things I would say are differences that objectively makes the 488 better.

More punchy engine with excellent throttle response in the mid range where the fun is
    A lot less flex and cowl shake in the 488 Spider
    Better tuned suspension for a mid engined sportscar(firmer and more direct in the 488 Spider)
    Better ride quality despite stiffer suspension
    Less intrusive ESC system in RACE and SPORT
    Faster and smoother gear shifts

I haven't even mentioned top speed or 0-100 kph times, because the importance of those fall a bit into the subjective category imo.

Exactly what is it that makes the 458 better from an objective standpoint? We can debate sound and design till we're all blue in the face, but from a purely technical and performance standpoint, the 488 Spider is the better car.

This has for me zero to do with the top speed or acceleration times. I get as much of a tingle from a 250 GTE as I do from an 812. It's about the sense of occasion, I get that. It's about the drive and the feel, I get that too. From at drivers perspective, I cannot with objective honesty see what a 458 does better - anywhere.

If you think the 458 is the better car, nothing wrong with that. Same goes for those of us whom prefer the 488.

R37047, Gcsdave, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Those figures are incorrect.

458 is 0-62 in 3.3
    488 is 0-62 in 3.0

And when you get beyond 62, the difference grows even more.

What matters is not so much the difference in 0-60, but rather how it goes from 40 mph to 120 mph. This is where it is at when doing spirited driving, and in this area the punch and response of the 488 is far ahead of the 458.

MANDALAY and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I don’t have 0-62 numbers, only 0-60 and in this respect, this was my source and 0-60 time is correct.

Couldn’t agree more with the rest of your post.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The official 488 number is 2.9 0-60, not 3.0.

That being said, when it comes to real world testing, I've personally witnessed the 488 Spider do 0-100 kph in 2.9 flat. That equates to about 2.8 0-60. The 458 Spider will never get remotely close to that.:)

It's about defining the things that summarises the differences I suppose.

Best

9. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I don't care of these numbers: I only follow emotions.
    Till today F8 is not providing me more emotions than 488 and so I'm not ordering it.
    That's the only important thing to me: having stronger emotions ;)

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The interesting thing is what happens once we all get behind the wheel. I think it's impossible to form an emotional attachment if one has not driven the car.

Time will tell:)

Principissimo likes this.
  11. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    That's a possibility ;)

12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Nice post. Except I think you are completely wrong about values. The 488 will always be worth more than the 458. Numbers may be just numbers but year model, horsepower, and newer features always make for more value.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Personally I find the 488 sound just as good as the 458. Never understood the love of high pitch over guttural. So there's that...

14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

No, I just like the newer model with better acceleration, better features and the spec I picked out.

A used car will always be someone else spec.

15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    The guy who asked me to sell his TM Spider w 900 miles on it, won't drop below $407K

$445K sticker

I told him I'm not selling it for him unless he is prepared to lose $125K+

He's not, and I lol'd.

16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I think TM is more of an exception than the norm to 488 values, where the bath will be quite a bit worse. For instance 445k sticker is crazy, I went wild with options on mine sans carbon @ ~$55k and I was at 320 all in (coupe). TM is also way more personalized to that person's desire/spec, or if it's 70th anni then really requires the right buyer

17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    It is 70th. And I suspect it's a $300K car lol. MAYBE, but it's in line with all the other 488's for sale.

18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Now that you said 70th anni, completely disagree. I don't think it's in line at all when you have a car that has a 445k sticker when some, if not most, will prefer a 488 spider in a different "regular" spec that will average a 350k sticker, nearly 100k less. 70th anni will require a very specialized likely hard to find buyer

488 values are headed down, but I believe that will be the case for most if not all non-limited car models. No car will be immune with the amount of inventory and new frequency of models/variants being released by sports car manufacturers. Especially if the economy takes a breather

PA Wolfpacker likes this.
  19. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Im waiting on the Nurburgring time for curiosity sake on the model S. I always love to point out the issues with running a Tesla on a track whenever people question my interest in Ferrari lol. The technology will get there no doubt. I think the 0-60 times are great if you want to see how well you can smoke someone at a stoplight in Palo Alto. Honestly, this is probably more important for the majority of city driving anyway. Acceleration above 60 is more important for track considerations though, and the 488 does this better than the 458.

I don't think you can address the pricing of the 488 without mentioning the 458 and all the issues mentioned in other long threads on here. I believe people that like the aesthetic elements of the 488 over the 458 and as I don't think the 488 is markedly better performing, I don't think the 458 is significantly better looking or sounding. My bills aren't paid by lap times and the 458 preference is for the most part taste in the auditory and visual aesthetics. If lap times were more important I would want a 488 or a pista. I got a kick out of seeing the guys on Grand Tour drive a Countach and Testarossa on that track and compare it to modern sports/exotic cars. Wow. Now that is a big difference! Can only imagine what we will see in another 30 years!

In the end differing tastes benefit us all because we aren't all chasing the same car. Just think how disastrous it would be if all men had the same taste in women?!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #45 IloveGT, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Everyone calm down. The moment you read this sentence, that 0.1 seconds is long gone already. Let's not turn this into the (n+1)th 458 vs 488 thread.

Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That applies to your post as well...

Ray

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 488 is definitely faster than the 458. But, at least for me, the 458 inspires more confidence at higher speeds - I find that to be a lot more important than how fast I get there. Once I'm there, I want to feel like I'm not going to crash into someone or go off the road.

Even on the track, the 488 is a godawful car. The shifts at full throttle feel like someone clubbing a baby seal to death in the 488. The 458 is razor sharp by comparison. I suspect it's something to do with a blow off valve or something, but how anyone can say that the 488 is a better car than the 458 - and keep a straight face - is seriously beyond me.

Ray

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Everything I point out as an objective thing regarding the 488, has nothing to do with how fast you get anywhere due to power. Yes, I meantion the midrange punch, but other than that, I mention things that are not power related.

The 488 godawful on track? Okay, if you think so. But you cannot state it as general objective fact.

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    This has nothing to do with objective facts. It's a subjective opinion.

Are you trying to tell me that you like the horrible hesitation the car manifests under full throttle when you shift at redline? It's like the car stops for a moment, pulls a shot of espresso, then gets back underway.

Worst car I have ever driven. Not counting maybe the R5 Turbo II

Ray

25. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Ok so the “razor sharp” 458 is 2 seconds slower than a 488 at Fiorano.

But the 488 is a godawful track car.

Hmm...

Do you guys have to hijack every thread that is related to a 488? We have all driven both cars, they are both great. If you like the slower one because it gives you more confidence then OK.

R37047, Il Co-Pilota and SoCal to az like this.