Ferrari Mondial DIY video's | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial DIY video's

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mark C Harvey, Sep 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    How about some videos? I made this one yesterday and am finally happy with the sound after a year of experimenting with microphone placement..

Temple, Freerange72, Drewbdo and 2 others like this.
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Nice low end grunt

3. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    stock exhaust?

4. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Yes, with stock cat

5. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    LOVE it! :)

So... where did you place the microphone? Inquiring minds want to know. o_O Is that a GoPro mounted to the back glass? Really a nice video (and audio) quality.

6. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    #6 Mark C Harvey, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Heheh. I experimented for ages until I worked it out. The key was to ignore the exhaust and focus on induction.

Side note: Enzo may have accidentally created the best sounding cars by ducting the engine air intake to openings on the side of the car. The original intent was probably to improve air intake through the forward facing ducts, sort of like a passive turbo, or ram jet. Either way, a happy by-product of the design, starting with the 250 LM and continuing through the Dino’s through to today’s Ferraris, is all that delicious induction-snarl sound, which gets projected forward to the passengers. In this case, through the passenger window (I always drive windows down).

For video I used a iPhone stuck to the panel below rear window with double sided adhesive strip (oriented landscape and tilted to show the gated shifter - cellphone with front/back camera was useful as you can change camera to the screen side to line up the shot). Then another phone, wrapped in wind protecting fluffy fabric, and stuffed near the entrance to the air intake duct (passenger side - those beautiful exterior metal strips hold the package perfectly).

I used the free version of Lightworks video editing software to combine audio and video tracks...

There you have it, now let the interwebs be full of snarly sounding Mondial videos!!!!!

Drewbdo likes this.
  7. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I always assumed the ducting was specifically for the engine air intake. I'm especially thinking of the Testarossa and other models with the radiators mounted mid-ships at the duct. However, I never considered the additional audio effect provided by the ducts.

Didn't realize it was more of an "induction" note, rather than an "exhaust" note. Very interesting, and as you say, a happy by-product of the design. :eek:

Nice explanation! I thought maybe you had used a wired mic from the camera, run out the window, around to the tailpipe area. I think that would lead to excessive road / wind noise, though.

Those videos will be a nice fill-in until my own "snarly sounding Mondial" shows up in my driveway. o_O:D

8. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    #8 Mark C Harvey, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Yes tried the tail pipes and all I got at WOT was the sound of the space shuttle at launch :cool:.

A snarl is created when air is drawn in through the nostrils. So our Ferrari’s have nostrils that snarl - cool!! I suspect the flat plane crank also has something to do with the snarly sound, being a bit more aggressive than a cross plane

Drewbdo likes this.
  9. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Love it! Cant wait to try out myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk