Need Help for Ferrari Road Trip FLA TO NC | FerrariChat

Need Help for Ferrari Road Trip FLA TO NC

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ncjetskier, Sep 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I purchased a 458 in West Palm Beach and will be flying down to pick the car up and drive it back to North Carolina. This is a 775 mile trip that we will drive in a day. The trip will be mostly HWY 95.

Here is where I need help. Is there anybody that frequently travels this route that can give me some pointers such as where speed traps are common, heavy areas of traffic congestion and any other helpful tips? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

2. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Jacksonville area can be completely gridlocked or clear as a bell depending on time of day. Plan accordingly.

Georgia is one big speed trap. Doubly so for anything fast and red. Watch yourself.

gt1995 likes this.
  3. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    Yup - agree with above, avoid GA speeds over limit +5mph, they will get you quickly and harshly. Jax isn't too bad so long as you don't hit rush hour or an accident. If you have time, stopping for a few hours in St. Augustine is worth the side trip, it is a fantastic town.

Generally, in FL (I grew up there), the further north you head on 95, the less forgiving the cops are regarding speeding.

Where in NC? I am right on the border of NC and TN.

4. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very familiar with St. Augustine as I rode a jet ski from NC to Key West (took 3.5 days). Making time in Fla was tough in the ICW as we were always in a idol only, no wake zone and Manatee zones. I am located at the coast (Swansboro NC). Thanks for the travel tips!!!

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Bring your V1 with you and use it accordingly.

TC94 likes this.
  7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Download an app called WAZE and get a detector. Waze is awesome and it WORKS!

gt1995, Caeruleus11, bball16 and 2 others like this.
  8. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks I plan on taking my Uniden radar detector and I have already downloaded Waze. I have also looked up where Ridgeland SC so I will make sure we do not go over 5 MPH over the speed limit.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Traffic always clogs up at the SC/GA border on 95. May want to bypass by going into Savannah. Waze took me there the last time I came through.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Jetskier, take 2 days and stop frequently. You will be glad you did specially if you are driving solo. When are you making the trip?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    V1+ Waze=no tickets or traffic

TC94 likes this.
  12. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree on radar detector and Waze. Not a fan of V1 as I found it was bulky and could not be updated by connecting it to the internet like the Uniden. Either way good advice.

Flying down this Friday morning, checking out the car spending the day in Palm Beach. Taking my youngest son (who has a taste for the finer things in life and pays for them himself). Hitting the road early Sat morning to head back in a day. Long trip, but I am sure it will have some adventures. Hopefully it will not be like my first Ferrari (348) that left me on the side of HWY 95 in Maryland going from NJ back to NC. The alternator died which ironically, matched up with a AC Delco part - just could not find one that day. Looking forward to the trip.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my advice: pick up the car in PB in the late afternoon, go to dinner and drive all night.

daytime traffic sucks pretty much the entire way up I-95. Daytona is a mess around the I-4 interchange. Jacksonville traffic is bad starting just outside St Augustine basically all the way to the GA border. I'd strongly suggest taking the I-295 East loop around Jax.

FHP will usually spot you 10mph, but they do like to hide in the trees off the side of the highway. You won't see them until you're next to them, if at all.

GA is crazy for speed enforcement. anything more than 5 over is asking for it.

once you get outside Savannah/Hilton Head, SC isn't too bad, except for pockets around I-26 and Florence.

definitely take a radar detector and have access to Waze.

climb likes this.
  14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Use the Waze app, between that and my V1 I'm good to go.

15. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It sounds like a bad ride, why not ship it?

16. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    FYI weather outlook for Friday and Saturday is increasingly calling for rain, and there is good chance the budding "storm" in the Caribbean may follow you up I-95, so adjust your plans to what you are comfortable with. Options I see for you are (1) stay with what you've planned, (2) depart for home soon after you pickup your 458, or (3) stay a few days longer and wait for the "storm" to dissipate. If you choose the latter and want to protect your 458, you can park it at PBI in long-term covered parking for low cost and explore the Palm Beach/West Palm Beach areas. We all have our favorite restaurants and attractions. I'll have free time should you wish to meet, just let me know.

BTW, I've used Waze for years to guide me around pending traffic issues, so agree with recommendations from others.

17. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the heads up on the weather and the invite. I think we may start back on Friday and at least break the trip into two days. Its bad enough to have an 11 hour drive but its turns painful when its rain the whole way!!!!

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    btw congrats on a long interstate road trip (maybe in the rain) with a new to you Ferrari.

You’ll do more miles the first weekend than most people do all year!

19. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Don’t blame you. As a possible dinner spot and evening stay, look at Pooler, GA right off I-95. To the right off I-95 is way to Savannah Airport and there a a number of hotel chain options. To the left of I-95 is a large (Tanger?) outlet center with lots of eating options for both dinner and breakfast the next morning if desired.

20. 328 Someday

328 Someday Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I live in Indian Beach. I look forward to seeing you drive down the island. Rev the engine for me around the PKS/IB town line.

21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I do that trip all the time. Cops worst in GA, traffic in SC where 95 is two lanes.

Good luck with your new ride! Don’t worry about miles, you’ll have a blast driving it.

Set the speed alarm at 80, it’s easy to get away from you on the open road!

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

IIRK, like 80% of JAX is a giant construction zone along I-95. Is that still going on?

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's better but still probably 50% :rolleyes:

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!

If its raining use rain mode, Ferraris systems are far more advanced than most other cars.

Just keep your eyes open, and if and where possible, I'd bypass the highway for back roads, it will take you longer but you'll have a much more rewarding drive where you're not battling with 18 wheelers.

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I make that trip a couple times of year .. I recommend spending the night and leave around 3 or 4 am Florida will be clear and you can take the by pass around Jacksonville ... the only problem with speed traps I have run into is around Lumberton NC on 95... the trip will be very nice during early morning..... the best of all is pick it up on Saturday and then leave 3 am Sunday very few trucks then.....
    by the way bring a can or two of fix a flat works great and will be a temp fix for any tire leaks

climb likes this.