delaminating 488 headlights | FerrariChat

delaminating 488 headlights

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ferraribrit, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have been told that Ferrari will not replace my delaminating headlights on my still-under-warranty 2018 488GTB because it has too many miles (11,800) on it!!!!! My Scuderia lights were replaced back in the day with no problems.
    Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved? I did a search and couldn’t find any other threads on the subject.
    Best, Paul

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You were told this by whom? That is absolutely preposterous!

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Who told you that? Your Ferrari service manager? Is their function compromised?

4. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My dealer service manager, who is great, told me that this was Ferrari’s response. Knowing him, he’s tried hard to get this done for me.
    The lights perform as expected because the delamination is only around the edges of both headlights for now. My experience with other cars is that it will only get worse as time goes by.

5. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    Will they fix or replace if it gets worse and effects their function?

6. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Doesn’t sound like it because they’re claiming the “high” mileage is the cause, not a defect.

7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    it is still under warranty, 11,800 miles does not void your warranty, doesn't make sense

8. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I fully agree!!!!
    Cars are meant to be used and this answer is unacceptable and crazy!
    I'd ask my lawyer to send a letter.

kandi likes this.
  9. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    That is ridiculous. I would escalate.

Viperjoe likes this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ferrari is Ferrari... Can you imagine how other mnfrs would get beat up for this?

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Why don’t you ask them to roll back some of the miles for you?

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Do you have a photo of this? I'm having trouble understanding the term delamination. Are they coming apart and air/water entering?

13. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Car at the dealer so no pics. Suffice to say, tiny surface cracks around all the edges of both lights.

14. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    This mus be covered by warranty it has nothing to do with miles! Moreover you do not have that high mileage on it.
    Crazy

15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    No, this is wrong and has nothing to do with Ferrari being Ferrari. No court would agree with 11,800 as being high mileage and I would advise them to get a lawyer and fight it. FNA will rectify it within 30 days of receipt.

The service manager did not fight for you and I believe doesn't even care. This is an easy case to keep the customer happy, especially for a recent buyer with a car under factory warranty.

16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree that headlights are covered under the warranty. Perhaps Ferrari believes that this is a minor cosmetic complaint. The lights function and the cracks are small and at the edge. The lights are performing in spec. For example if you were to claim peeling or chipping of the wheel rim paint, that may or may not be covered depending upon mileage. Why mileage? That is because stone chips and other chemicals can cause this type of damage. I had a problem with the rim paint peeling off. Ferrari refused on this basis. My dealer fixed it for me as they say “on the arm”. But repainting a rim is relatively cheap compared to the cost of a new set of headlights. A pair of non AFS lamps are probably $ 10,000 dollars. Add tax and labor.and it’s probably close to 14K.
    AFS ( steering lights) I have no clue —someone chime in with this price.

If your ‘ delamination ‘gets worse, and you are still under warranty, your case would obviously be stronger. Let’s see a few pictures to better understand the nature and severity of the issue.

I think there is a rubber access cap in these lamps. It can be removed and condensation can be removed this way. This was the case with the 458 lights

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm with you but let's see how it goes.

boobernackle likes this.
  18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    such a hassle to get a lawyer involved and then you don't want to be eating it on both ends etc... FNA should really just step up period, especially under factory warranty. Disappointing to hear for sure and hopefully you can have your dealer apply pressure to make it right

19. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    Bumper to bumper warranty includes delaminating headlights...

20. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    It seems Ferrari is considering delaminating headlights as normal wear and tear and/or cosmetic.

21. Principissimo

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    However a picture would help

Thecadster likes this.
  22. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    FNA standard operating procedure. When my 488 had major brake issues it was deny deny deny.

23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I’ve owned cars that cost roughly 1/10 of a Ferrari and I’ve never got a similar reply by an official dealer regarding a similar matter.

You as an esteemed customer can try reasoning with them (always my first and favorite choice), or lawyer up.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

24. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The headlights have a UV coating on top of the plastic to prevent yellowing, that is most likely what's peeling. Porsche has this too. There is no way to repair the coating. You can either get new lights or buff the UV coating off and cover the light with PPF. If you choose to buff and PPF cover, you have to sand by hand as vibration from a machine polisher can shake things loose inside the housing.

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Can delamination be the result of using certain cleaning solvents in cleaning:/ polishing products or by improper buffing such as what car detailers employ?