360 misfire help | FerrariChat

360 misfire help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SC360, Sep 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SC360

SC360 Rookie

Mar 25, 2019
    san francisco
    Full Name:
    Skoty chops
    Hey guys, i have recently been trying to figure out whats going on with my car and i cant seem to find the solution. the start of the story is the car has been running really well and i dropped it off to get detailed before a show and i received a call a few days later informing me my car started to misfire and we thought maybe he got something wet and caused it, we let it sit for a few days and when restarted it ran great but after 5 min it would run rough again. we then did notice the pre cats had a discoloration on it and we figure out the cat had gave up and was clogging bank 2. i then removed the headers and gutted them out and had a mechanic look into things for me and test things, we checked all the coil packs and they came back good, checked 02 sensors and where good, did a oil change, cleaned the maf sensors, new plugs, new valve cover, timing cover and some o rings that where creating a little oil leaks. i got the car back and it was running great, sounded great etc. the next day i drove the car about 40 miles to a event and on my way home in traffic the car started to miss again and just seemed so random because it was running so well. after i got it home i ran my obd2 reader on it and came up with these codes

p0300
    p0308
    p0306
    p0305
    p0307
    p1675
    p0432
    p0422
    p0130
    p1674

i have a list of the trouble codes and the first 5 are related to misfires and the cylinders, i did notice its the cylinders on bank 2 cylinders 5-8 and wonder if that has anything to with figuring out the issue, my car has no pre cats or cats so there are emission codes on here. anyone have any insight on what might be going on where maybe i should start looking/ testing? any help would be grateful.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

how did you check o2 sensors? how did you check coil packs?

you got the misfire when cold?

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You possibly have and intake gasket leak. The symptoms you are describing point directly to this. Have the car smoke tested.

brian.s likes this.
  4. SC360

SC360 Rookie

Mar 25, 2019
    san francisco
    Full Name:
    Skoty chops
    they did smoke test it and said there was no leaks, a friend of mine mentioned that it could be one of the MAS and to swap them and see if the misfire switches sides

5. SC360

SC360 Rookie

Mar 25, 2019
    san francisco
    Full Name:
    Skoty chops
    the shop tested them and said they where good, the misfire happened when it was at operating temps and i had been driving it for about 20 min then it started while i was in traffic. i fired it up in the morning to see if maybe it went away thinking it could be the coil packs but it still had the misfire from cold start.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Fuel air and spark that's the main things for a cylinder to fire other things can cause the ECU to read it wrong. Few things come to mind. Good luck!
    • Vacuum or other air leak
    • MAS/MAF issue
    • Injector issue
    • FPR issue
    • Coil issue
    • TPS possibly
    • Crank sensor issue
    • Cam sensor issue

7. SC360

SC360 Rookie

Mar 25, 2019
    san francisco
    Full Name:
    Skoty chops
    thank you i appreciate that, im gonna go down the list of those and check them out.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I replaced everyone of those on my car (except the MAF which I de-corroded and cleaned). All those tend to fail over time so I replaced proactively, they were not that expensive and quite easy to do yourself. Many of those parts cross reference to other cars usually Porsches in my 348 case so you don't have to spend $750 for a part the same Bosch part is $75 usually if you shop with Bosch part numbers not Ferrari part numbers.

Good luck!

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    One word on the coil packs.. they'll "check out" OK, but they won't throw a code but still misfire. Buy 4 and replace that bank if you haven't yet. If not the coils.. That many misfires on different cylinders I'd be seriously suspect of the intake gaskets.

10. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Check for oil in the intake plenum as it can and will cause problems with engine running.

11. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 ncjetskier, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    I had the same problem when I owned my 360. It was the MAFS which I ordered off Ebay (they stated they were Bosch MAFS - and they worked) and shipped to the US from Germany in about 3 days. I had the same multiple cylinder misfire codes. I replaced both MAFS. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged as a weak battery messes with the car's computer and can result in all kinds of CEL codes.

PS - if you do a search about MAF cleaners you will figure out that MAF spray cleaners work as good as snake oil. If a MAF goes bad, most of the time it is due to an electrical problem within the MAF and not that they are dirty. If the car was ever overfilled with oil, it can mess with your MAFS as well then maybe a MAF cleaner spray would help.

12. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    When the cats in the manifold give up you will find chunks all through the intake system these chunks float around in the valves and cause random misfire, have take the throttle bodies off and have a good look inside the plenum see if any white chunks of cat are in there

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Humm...interesting, please can you explain how this may be possible?

14. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    I can only guess how it gets into the plenum, when the cat breaks up the chunks get into the cylinder possibly because too high backpressure and back firing. You will get intermittent random misfires, backfires when cold and yes check the plenum for small chunks of catalyst if you find white dust up there you could also find particles large enough to cause valves to not seat properly. I would guess if the intake sticks open and backfires that could explain how. The air pump is also blowing air into the manifold which is full of dust from catalyst, that may have something to do with it. Im not talking about huge pieces but dust with some larger than sand pieces.

15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Sounds like rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Misguided explanation of a known issue. I highly doubt you will see "white chunks of cat" in the intake plenum unless Fluffy got too close to the throttle body during a non-filtered rev. I think the issue you are referencing is the breakdown of the pre-cats in the MY2000+ stock exhaust manifolds which can end up in the combustion chamber, and typically cause much bigger issues than just a misfire. Thank God I have a 99.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't think it migrates to the intake side of the engine. The broken up pieces of cats will end up in the combustion chamber and cause an expensive problem. However, you will likely get an CEL code way before that happens.

18. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    That is what I am referencing didnt they guy say that he just gutted the pre-cats because of a missfire issue? Often the issue is repaired before it causes more severe issues but it is a random missfire and shops often can figure out the issue, they clear the codes and it comes back in a week they keep doing this until they find the pre-cats are the cause, after a long time yes the dust from the cats gets into the whole intake system. It causes valve guide issues, sticking valves, burnt valves and even yes you should inspect and clean out the plenum if you find anything in there, I did on one vehicle that actually had valve seating issues. Had to sent the heads out and I did find the material in the plenumn. I would say if you just gutted the cats because of a missfire issue and you STILL have a missfire issue how long does it take to remove the throttle bodies and look to see if the engine is dusted?