BMW guys on FerrariChat? | Page 72 | FerrariChat

BMW guys on FerrariChat?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by DriveAfterDark, May 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They are great cars, especially for commuting. They are more nimble than the previous generation and more engaging to drive, but still not on the level of an E39 chassis. The BMW straight 6 is a gem, always has been, and the new one has some nice power to match. One big drawback---the driver assist is HORRIBLE. Its so bad, my local dealer disables it on loaner cars because they are afraid someone is going to get into an accident. It gets confused by various road markers and will jerk the wheel violently because it thinks you are leaving your lane. If you aren't ready for it, it will scare the crap out of you. The adaptive cruise control is also complete junk in that it drives with all the finesse of an alcoholic. If this is the best BMW can do, Tesla can sleep easy at night.

I also have some gripes with material choices--- the center console cover is untrimmed along the edge so when it is open it looks like a rough cut piece of plastic, the aluminum look is not very convincing and the dash materials have definitely taken a step back, but this is more nitpicking--especially for a daily driver. All in all, its a really good car and an improvement over the previous generation.

GuyIncognito and tantumaude like this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Make sure it has an extended warranty, or you purchase an aftermarket warranty. Nice cars, but when stuff goes south (especially the electronics) your wallet is in for a rough ride with zero lube.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Have done a bit more researching and I really thing BMW was just being lazy and saying it was the transfer case. My symptoms just don't match. Pulled the underbody plastic off and saw this very scored driveshaft.

Image Unavailable, Please Login 20190708_222248 by Alex Eichmiller, on Flickr

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Driveshaft is rubbing on the heatsheild. Move it away, no issue.

Front driveshaft is however well known for u-joint failure. They can be rebuilt contariy to BMW.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Took a look at the u-joint as well. Symptoms I was looking for is the "red dust". There is some rust and corrosion, but i don't see what was described as u-joint wear. How much should the driveshaft move with the car in park?

Image Unavailable, Please Login 20190708_222253 by Alex Eichmiller, on Flickr

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Take the shaft down and check it. It should move freely in all directions. It the only way to know.

Devilsolsi likes this.
  7. DIE_SILBERPFEILE

May 28, 2010
    buenos aires, argentina
    Full Name:
    gustavo
    hi, price???

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sorry man, already paid it forward to bart12

9. 1guy

1guy Rookie

May 25, 2014
    kansas city
    Full Name:
    bill
  10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I do like these a lot. I'd settle for a V8 840i

bart12 likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Love it. And the E38 next to it as well.

I spent this past weekend reading up all about the E46 design failure. So sad as I love the design of that car...last good looking 3 series imo. I couldn't believe why BMW designed it that way...the rear subframe literally mounts to sheet metal (couple of them) and NOT the frame of the car. Hence why it cracks over time and in particular with cars driven harder (i.e. M3). The BMW solution was to inject resin that hardens to eliminate the space between the sheet metal panels, but it still didn't fix the issue as the subframe was still not connected to the frame. The aftermarket "reinforcement" plates don't do much either except shift load and cracking elsewhere on the panel. This is the panel and costs $7k to replace with labor, but will still crack over time: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/rear-sub-frame-support-panel/41117000246/

I've been looking for a 2003+ E46 wagon to do an S54 swap and that is now scaring me. Only solution I see is to weld in metal bracing back there to connect to the frame rails to subframe mounting points...almost like a crossbar/cage just for the rear.

E46 and Z8 both with garbage chassis, but drop dead gorgeous design and nice engines...

alexion, Boomhauer and bart12 like this.
  12. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    My M5 is always ready to give me a smile.

I added a GROM audio wireless bluetooth where all connections are hidden then added a iphone wired charger on the glove box so now its basically a more modern car.

Then i added a LOUD version of a TUBI exhaust and its perfect. Actually, the loud version is not really loud like catless or a ferrari but gave it a growl which I like.

Who cares about depreciation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I shouldn't of, but I did, LOL.

Local guy had a 318is, just sitting, and I couldn't see it languish. Dragged it home, and gave it a detail.

It needs to be 100'% restored.

It irks me when people let this happen to their cars.

I spent 5 hours just cleaning the interior this weekend.

My daughter got home the other day, and goes "Daddy, I looooooveeee your hoopty!"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tantumaude likes this.
  14. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

Thats a jewel.

Bring her back to life!

15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Lol. I can’t! It was dumb. I shouldn’t have. My wife was like WTF!

I didn’t even put it in the garage. It’s under a tarp lol. Banned to the outside!

She semi wrote the ad earlier today. I got the “it’s eBay or basement sleeping” look ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Easy fix.

Clean carpets, reupholster seats and doors.

Buy new steering wheel and shift knob.

Give a $3000 respray

Refinish rims.

You have now a nice cruiser e30 328is.

Do each one every 3 months. In a year, its all done.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have owned several BMWs. 735i, 750iL, some M3s.

Don’t own any now bcuz it is 3.5 hour drive to Denver for service. Now l own Audi S4 and an S5 Convertible as we have a dealer 45 minutes from Aspen.

Also own a 458 Spider. Ferrari of Denver picks it up for service and delivers it back. Actually cheaper than driving to Denver and staying in a hotel. We used to do this when my wife was into Denver shopping. Now she buys things on line.

I do miss the BMWs but not worth the hassle of making the trip to Denver anymore.

18. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I think body work alone and just getting it prepped for paint would cost $3-5K. Then paint cost on top

Rims I could have done for less than $500 maybe.

Brakes, lines and etc. easily $750+

Can’t clean the carpets or headliner. All would need to be ripped out. The musty ness wouldn’t go away. So new interior kit there.

Now the engine and gearbox. To make it “right” I think I’d easily spend another $3-4K here

I think I’d spend $15-20K to have a $15K car.

The rust is the scariest part, once that starts getting fixed, it seems to never end!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  19. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I would do paint work last.

This is a project that to make it worth your while needs to stay with you. Yo dont do this and sell it back, you dont get anything. It needs to be done right.

But this would only work for me if I do it in long stages.

You have a dilapidated car already, what more can you loose?

Its a marathon. not a sprint.

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    The new Alpina B3 looks incredible...wish we got it in the US. But of course any cool wagon will never make it here...

Boomhauer and alexion like this.
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my first car was a black E30 coupe. shame to see that one so neglected. now I feel old :(

19633500GT likes this.
  22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#1797 Bradwilliams, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    I'm probably all in with my 740 short for $18 grand. Still waiting for that breather year or two where I can just enjoy the car without the obligatory issue every 4-6 months. This is year six so 18 over 6 years isnt too bad. The good news is that it is an uber clean no excuses car despite the high miles. Bought it for 7 thousand. It would have been 4 if it weren't imola :)

I really think these are smart buys with higher mileage. If you find a well looked after car with 150,000 or more on it and the motor is still whisper quiet at idle then you'll never have to tear down the motor or do the guides. I don't trust these cars with less. Every time I see a car with the toasted engine and guides gone the car has 120-140 on it. It all depends on how the car was maintained. These cars can go 400-500k on original guides with simple tune ups and no major engine service. The only other option is to buy a cream puff but now you're talking $15-20 grand people want for them, and those cars will need another 15 grand in work in a matter of 2-3 years. Terrible value for a used car unless you're going to use the car for a garage ornament.

23. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Speaking of legendary Bimmers, I stopped in to the celebrity cars in south vegas and got a look at this car which I'm 99.9999 percent sure is a fake. Whoever resprayed it painted the front and rear bumpers matte for some reason and the carfax is the biggest tell of all.

First off there is no police report at all, which would definitely be on the carfax. I talked to one of the salesmen (while playing dumb) and asked him what the story was with the carfax. He looked me in the face and told me "They didn't start reporting accidents and police reports on carfax reports until just a few years ago." LOL! I tried to hide my ******** detector but just said "huh" :)

Secondly, go through the carfax (on the website) and you'll see plenty of service history done at the dealer and a few that are recent. The claim was that the car was restored just recently. Why would anybody restore that car given its value if left in original condition? And why would somebody drive around in a bullet ridden car for 20 plus years and have it serviced at the dealer?

The whole car doesn't back up the story at all and the only proof that the seller cites is that they contacted BMW North America and were given a readout showing death row records as the first owner/lessee. Which doesn't prove anything given that this Suge fellow had a gazillion cars and could easily have had more than one of these. Or they could be simply lying about the document and its fake. My guess is that the real car got parted out back in the 90s or is sitting in some hill-jacks barn in the middle of nowhere. And every couple of weeks he shows it off during a barbeque :)

https://www.celebritycars.com/details-1996-bmw-7_series-tupac_shakur_-used-wbagk2324tdh67073.html

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=EBZ_3&vin=WBAGK2324TDH67073
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    This is why I hate dealers..on all levels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bradwilliams likes this.
  25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Lol at the price listed. "Only $1,750,000"

Yeah, 1000x more than it's actually worth.

Bradwilliams likes this.