water in cylinder of 360 | FerrariChat

water in cylinder of 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zapper/dapper, Sep 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zapper/dapper

zapper/dapper Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    What needs to be done to correct water going in two of the cylinders of my 360 modena

2. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Sounds like a head gasket or worse yet warped head/block surface to me. You can verify it by pressurizing the cylinder through the spark-plug hole and watch for escaping air. Make sure the car is in neutral if a manual trans

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Uhhh....that's not good. First order of business is to find out what is causing it.

4. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    The first order of business is to be prepared to open your wallet WIDE !!!

I agree with vincep99’s assessment that you probably have some potentially serious issues going on.
    Head gasket and possible warped cylinder head seem most likely.
    Warped block is possible, but I would check the head first.

The wildcard in the equation is whether or not you filled the cylinders with water/glycol. If you did, and you started the engine with the spark plugs in, you may have cracked a cylinder wall or bent a connecting rod when the water tried to escape the cylinder.

If you cracked a cylinder or bent a rod, you will be looking at a major repair bill.

Determine what the problem is, and get a firm written cost to repair it. If the cost is too high, you might consider a used replacement engine. While the car will no longer be “numbers matching”, it will get you back on the road more quickly with a cost that could be lower than repairing the existing motor.

Perhaps some of the 360 guys who have been through this can give you a ballpark number on repairs.

Best of luck. Hope it is a minor repair.

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Water in cylinder is never a small issue. Some things will be more catastrophic than others (as above, and this is worth mentioning). Let’s hope it’s a head gasket.

360 Engine Out - so it begins.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?posts/144801583/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I would like to hear how you discovered water in two cylinders. It is not common for this to happen to Ferrari V8s.
    I will be following this one.

JoeTSI likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does the car run? If so how do you know there is water, usually a motor will hydrostatic shock and just stop/sieze if water enters the cylinders. Hopefully a shop just told you that but it's not the issue fingers crossed.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I am a buyer if the engine is toast, just saying....

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Something isn’t right here, that engine would have to severely overheat to warp the aluminum components...and I don’t know if I’ve ever heard of a head gasket failure on a 360. I’m interested to hear the explanation but I have a feeling it will be something out of left field.