New tactics from Hamilton in future ? | FerrariChat

New tactics from Hamilton in future ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hamilton says he will change the way he races after Monza

Source Motorsport

Lewis Hamilton will change the way he races and interprets what is acceptable in battle as long as Formula 1's rulemakers stand by new precedents being set.

Hamilton was unable to pass Charles Leclerc in the Italian Grand Prix, during which he complained about not being left a car's width while battling with the Ferrari driver and suggested his rival was being "dangerous" after another move.

Drivers have received more leniency since the Austrian Grand Prix, a race in which Leclerc lost victory after being bumped wide by Max Verstappen, as officials seek to allow harder racing to take place without penalties.

Leclerc said he learned from that experience and knew he could be more aggressive while battling Hamilton as a result, whereas last Sunday's battle was Hamilton's time in a wheel-to-wheel fight since officiating became less strict.

Hamilton suggested in the post-race press conference at Monza that the stewards were not being consistent, but when pushed later on what his issue was by Motorsport.com he clarified he wanted to know exactly what was acceptable.

"I don't think there's an issue, if that's how we're able to race then I'll race like it," he said. "As long as we know you're allowed to not leave a car's width, and you don't have to do that now.

"As long as you're not contradicting us, as long as we've got a clear message, that we're allowed to run wide if someone's there and you only get a warning flag.

"Then you only need that once to potentially keep the guy behind you. As long as it's clear, and that's the way going forwards, then it's fine.

"It's just so I know how to go into battle, same for all the drivers."

The FIA has worked with teams to review various incidents from this season and earlier, to establish how it can enforce the rules without being draconian.

It is hoped this will allow more so-called racing incidents to pass without a penalty having to be applied, and one example of this being enforced is the revival of the black/white warning flag.

Leclerc received one of these for moving under braking at the Roggia chicane, where Hamilton ended up being forced onto the run-off.

Hamilton stressed there was "absolutely zero issue" with Leclerc and all he would be interested in should the two drivers speak about their Monza fight would be to establish
    Leclerc is "cool" if the positions end up reversed and Hamilton drives in that manner.

"If that's cool, that's how we race," he said. "You're supposed to leave a gap, and now I don't know if that's the case because that's unsure with the rules.

"It's good we're able to race hard. It was a tough battle and that's good."

ATBNM3, Mark(study) and ktu like this.
  2. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Hamilton knows how to race within the rules, but he is a driver who thinks win first. I don't think his style is gonna change much, the championship is still a ways away. I don't see him risking too much yet.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope quoting this article from Autosport will not be seen as "trolling" by some.
    I thought interesting to have the reaction of one of the main protagonists in F1, after the recent change of attitude by the stewards regarding "the rules of engagement" during overtaking.
    Verstappen benefited from some leniency when blocking Leclerc, and at Monza Charles himself "extended his elbows" to block Hamilton.
    That used to be frowned upon, and even sanctioned in the past.
    Now, it's merely a racing incident bringing a black and white flag.
    Now that it has been clarified, I'm sure Hamilton will adapt to that and turn it into his benefit.

kylec, Senna1994 and ATBNM3 like this.
  4. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    stavura, crinoid, SimCity3 and 3 others like this.
  5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    IMO its just more of the same of him whining. 5 time champion with 6th in the bag, he finds himself a bit out of the spotlight so he will make himself relevant as in his mind no way should he not be winning (probably true based on the car)

Same thing for his Instagram story saying he heard the boos at Monza and it did impact him a little bit (or however he said it). Bro you are a 5 time world champion in the cream of the crop car. My God

I'm beginning to now think about how much better F1 would be withOUT him in it, as Bot in the Merc might make things far more competitive and interesting for RB/Scuderia. And less whining

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    All's fair. Unless you're Vettel in Canada. Then all is not fair.

John_K_348, of2worlds, Bas and 5 others like this.
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehe. Elton cheats anyway, he always drives like a **** when he is behind. Won’t change anything. Leclerc just outdrove him at monza pure and simple

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

John_K_348, Bas, stavura and 3 others like this.
  8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In Monza the 'incident' was not a matter of leaving a cars width. Charles was merely staying on the racing line, which when approaching a corner hardly EVER leaves a cars width. The quotes by Lewis in the article are him trying to sound like he is ok with events but at the same time acting as though he was driving by prior established rules while others were pushing boundaries and the stewards were not being consistent. In other words, he was whining. He has not had to defend a position seriously all yr. If he had to he would likely have driven the exact same way and then acted like it was just racing, normal, and not pushing any boundaries. Of course if the situation had been reversed there would not have been a black/white flag. It's just all smash talk. Hopefully the stewards stay out of the way and not act as though they are gods and responsible for outcomes.

stavura, Senna1994, kandi and 5 others like this.
  9. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    ... He will stop moaning on the team radio? ;)

stavura, VPX, furoni and 2 others like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They ALL moan on their team radio !!

Vettel, Raikkonen, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Perez, etc ...

ricksb, Senna1994, ATBNM3 and 2 others like this.
  11. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Not Stroll . . . . Unless he's complaining about Vettel being an idiot.

Nortonious and william like this.
  12. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    It doesn't appear you understand the theory at play here - why would a driver ever leave (or be required to) a car's width of tarmac when approaching a corner under normal circumstances? This is applicable to going side-by-side with another car - you (theoretically) cannot leave less than a car's width of space if you have a car alongside. It's quite obvious Charles inched Lewis over, closing a gap (which Lewis was already in) by less than car's width - which is exactly why he got dinged with the black/white warning flag.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lewis flinched. Lewis lost. I understand the theory and practice perfectly.

stavura, Picchu88, fil and 3 others like this.
  14. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Again, based on your previous post, I doesn't sound like you do...

Charles took a defensive live after Lewis got the run on corner exits, so Hamilton went to the outside and was alongside. The straightline advantage of the Ferrari saw it inching ahead again as they approached the braking zone, and Charles drifted right and gave Lewis the squeeze. Whether one thinks there should have a bigger penalty, no penalty, or that the appropriate penalty was given is of course going to be completely subjective...

Indeed....and don't forget LeClerc was one of the most vocal this season, particularly against Max in Austria...

william likes this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have no idea why some here seem happy to suggest that the LEADER of a race, on the RACING LINE, need give a damn about what is BEHIND HIM. Elton may whine and whinge, but it is not the job of the leader to give the chasing man room to attack him, it is up to the chaser to work out how to make the leader miss a brake, gear etc, leave the racing line, get FULLY ALONGSIDE and be in a position to make it past. Racing is all about the skill of out braking someone, forcing mistakes with pressure, etc etc. If you want to get past, you have to work for it. Elton couldn’t get himself in a position where Charles had to make sure he never forced him off, but Elton as usual tried to force his way past, and put his car (as he did in Canada) in a place any other racer would have know there was a tightening gap and he would never expect to get past, then thinks if he complained about the closing gap he was aiming for, his steward mates will penalise the naughty driver that made him put his brakes on......

He got himself schooled by Charles, and it was sweet. Yes, he should be embarrassed with himself for not getting past, if you really believe the ******** here about him being great, but the reality is that Charles simply drive a great race, and took full advantage of the one thing we had that weekend in our favour - grid position. The Mercedes is good in the corners, the Ferrari had great acceleration out of them. With track position, Charles was able to protect himself from attack purely with his speed out of the corners, whereas the Mercedes could keep up easily, mount an attack, but never quite had the beans to get past before the next braking zone. For once, they didn’t pass, as they would have bounded off into the distance if they had, as the hard tyres gave Charles no option for taking the fight to Mercedes if he had to try to pass them, but provided great longevity against the mediums from a position in front requiring defence.

Bas, stavura, tonyswfla and 7 others like this.
  16. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Hardly...he put in a valiant fight and put Chuck under great pressure. This was not a winnable race in my opinion baring a mistake from Charles - but he was virtually mistake free and drove robustly when required. Had Lewis managed to squeeze by at some point he would have likely gotten zapped immediately back before he had time to build an advantage and get out of DRS range. Charles had a great defensive drive, and had the right tool for the job on the day.

Why people are incapable of saying "driver X drove great, and so did driver Y."
    No, it always has to put of in ridiculous hyperbolic terms of driver X having "schooled" or "embarrassed" driver Y. :D

NeuroBeaker and william like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sid, i guess some folks got used to canada, and they believe that was a real win for Elton, so in their minds, any driver should just step aside and let mr fluffy pass....sorry folks, it won't happen...unless they put Pirro and Conelly as the sole stewards at every single race!

John_K_348, Bas, stavura and 3 others like this.
  18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely spot on bud. They never admit he failed, unlike everyone else happy to denigrate seb and Charles when it is necessary, we are at least honest in our assessments of our drivers performances

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

classic308 likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Oh, right, as if he never had played dirty before... The other drivers must be scared now.

20. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I think is a cascade effect. Verstappen in Austria led Charles to be more aggressive. The next piece on the domino is Hamilton.

Thinking again, on the current approach, I think Vettel in Australia would have received a black and white flag, not a 5s penalty. And this would not have played a part in his mental crumbling we're watching.

kylec and daytona355 like this.
  21. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Hamilton was right next to Leclerc, not behind but right next to him, on the outside. Leclerc decided to leave as little space as possible which meant Hamilton didn't have much choice other than putting two tires off track and then taking the escape route. Well, the alternative would have been turning into Leclerc and causing a crash which would have been bad for both, getting any points is better than getting none while your main competitor (Bottas) takes the win.

Since this was accepted with just a warning, I take it that Hamilton will in the future do similar blocking maneuvers if there is a risk that a championship contender will overtake him. Before Canada, Leclercs move would likely have resulted in a time penalty. If it had been Verstappen and Bottas it's almost guaranteed it would have been a time penalty.

william likes this.
  22. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The good news would be that Ferrari would be in a position to attempt an overtake of Hamilton during the race for the lead. Let's see that scenario unfold first before we predict what the mods . . . . er, stewards I mean, hand out any bans . . . I'm sorry . . . penalties.

jcurry, classic308 and daytona355 like this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Remember this post when Hamilton is leading and squeezes Leclerc off the track in the upcoming race

william likes this.
  24. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    it will be interesting to see whether Monza and Spa were indicators of improved form with Ferrari or just a lucky car/track combination. And whether Vettel will shape up for the rest of the season. And how stewards will handle similar incidents.

william likes this.
  25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I like this concept. I think he should run into a wall during every race to show the other drivers that he is fearless.

VPX likes this.