288 GTO clone from a 308. stretching the rear end? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

288 GTO clone from a 308. stretching the rear end?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Carsonp, Oct 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain

well i dont plan on touching 1200hp! :eek:

Ideally i would like 600 or so RWHP on 91 or 93 octane pump gas (not too much 93 in my area though). and have a curb weight of under 3000lbs (shoot for 2750)

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    In my car with 420 rwhp with pretty wide tires (285), a down shift and stomp at 65 mph will smoke the tires, 1st gear is about useless. It's pretty fast.

To make 600rwhp you'll need about 26-28 psi and a REALLY good intercooler. Porting and more cam would help and may be required to hit the number with pump gas.

A 348/355/360 engine/trans can be put in a 308.....I guess a 512TR could to (I almost went that way), but you'd need to change the wheel base. The more you start with, the less boost you'll need.

IMO, more than 15 psi from a turbo is not a street engine, but there are plenty who would disagree. As a reference, a 355 at 12 psi with a good intercooler makes about 600 rwhp.

3. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    all those motors are REALLY expensive... Im worried about how the factory motor would do compared to the cheaper LSX motor.

And you may be right... depending on how the curb weight ends up 450 RWHP might be PLENTY

Thanks alot

4. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    needcash, are you still looking for/considering a project like this? If so, you've got a pm.

5. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Dont let desire308 find out that you're in the market for a rebodied 288/308GTO, he'll advise you to buy a "Rice Burner" instead!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181662

6. SkipH

SkipH Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a Chevy V8 conversion which I am now driving in Raleigh, NC. I stretched the wheelbase 4" with no expense other than labor. It's a lot easier than you think. I'm using a ZF transaxle from a pantera. Will gladly share details.
    Skip

7. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
  8. Toro01

Toro01 Rookie

Sep 2, 2019
    Hi SkipH,
    Hoping you are still active on the forum.
    I am very interested in learning how you stretched the wheelbase.
    Please do contact me as soon as you can.

If anyone else can please advise of what methods there are for achieving the longer wheelbase of the 288 GTO modifying a 308 chassis.
    I did find from some earlier research someone describing extended/modified control arms for the rear suspension, however I cannot find that information now searching for it again.

Also interested in details of extending the rear body panels, and chassis extensions required for mounting of panels in the rear.

Any advice on achieving this would be very much appreciated.

Thank All.

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For extending the wheelbase can’t you just look at a GT4 or Mondial? That’s pretty much it right there isn’t it?

10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    if memory serves there are a few of stretch 308s that im aware of. one in europe with a decent looking home built 288 body on bespoke A-arms. the other is an USA gts originally modify with a longitude pushrod v8 mated to a zf box. this car i recall later was replaced with a 355 drivetrain. bob norwood had stretch 308 chassis for his 288 body cars as well.

you may be able to take short cut without a re-engineering the entire rear frame by reverse the stock asymmetrical lower a-arm. You may be able flipping LHD to RHD or vice versa to stretch the wheelbase while using the exiting pickup points.. i haven't measure them but i reckon its close to 100mm or 4 inches to get you closer the 96.5" if you flop them.

on the symmetrical upper arms you will have to relocated the pick up points rearwards. its important to note the upper pick ups are NOT in line like the lower ones.. they are located about 2 or 3mms outboard from the other. the chassis drawings should have the dimensions. im not exactly sure why they added this to the geometry. i reckon its either for some sort design in binding anti squat, combat bushing deflection under load or dynamic toe during the suspension travel. if somebody knows please chime in.

last thing need is to relocate upper damper mounts rearwards. most likely the existing "Y" support member would need to be removed or altered for the dampers or halfshafts path. this Y member leaves a lot to be desired anyhow. micholotto gr4 cars reinforced it and a redesign was used in the 288 and mondial

I believe the 288 put to use some mondial suspension arms to help push the tracks outwards and minimize the scrub radius in front. but that would entail re-engineer on a much larger scale...

it would be interesting to see how your project pans out...

Best of luck!