Brake Problem with my GTC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Brake Problem with my GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Sep 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    just as I expected. can hardly wait! love takin' the KO wheels off to see if I can do this job without messing up something cosmetic. thanx again. s

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Nicely done, Grover. Excellent diagnosis, as usual. :D

3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi Steve,

here is the data for the hoses:
    Front brake hose: Jaguar MK2, S-Type, MK1
    Rear single brake hose: Jaguar MK2, Daimler 250 V8

Rear pads are equal to Jag E S1 (rear and front equal at Jag)

Rear hand brake pads equal to Jag MK1

Front pads are not equal to any Jag as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Chris

steve meltzer likes this.
  4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    great news - !!

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the research christc. Grover was found about 8 yrs ago wandering around our neighborhood; collar, no tags, no chip. I thought he was a good dog, so we took him to the vet....tix, fleas, heart worms, etc. Two thousand bucks later he's still with us! Since Grover Cleveland is on the $1000 bill (which I don't think I've ever seen!), we named him Grover, although it should be "Grover-Grover". s

readplays likes this.
  6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Steve, it is nice to have such company. My help and codriver used to be ‘Schroeder’ - see pic. He is now helping fix old cars in the great sky...:-(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe, readplays and colombo2cam like this.
  7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I have to smile and smile....gorgeous dog...and I love the name. If you took quantum physics you will recall the famous "thought experiment" with a cat that was both alive and dead at the same time...proposed by the Austrian scientist, Erwin Schrödinger. Well, you guessed it, we have a cat named Schrödinger! (and one named Enzo, and one named Colombo!) s

8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    That is nice, a cat named Enzo. Guess he loves racing and is bullying the others ;-)
    Once heard that Carl Friedrich Scheufele,Owner of Chopard had two dogs - Aston and Martin :)
    Sorry for this little detour in your thread.

9. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Love the diversion....I was having nightmares about my time in quantum mechanics! s

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Not wanting to be guilty of failing to follow up on this, I was able demonstrate that the problem I was having on my GTC was that both front wheels locked up, but not the rears. Sent MC out for rebuild, and, upon return I was unable to bleed the brakes, tho' I've done this many, many times before.
    Got a real Ferrari mechanic to check me out, and voilà, same result. Sent the MC back to the builder as they now think it needs to be sleeved. Awaiting that to happen, and will post the list when i can safely stop. steve (oh yeah, all new brake lines were installed....I just used the Ferrari ones, as they were cheap....for a Ferrari part)

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t think that the rebuilder made such a mistake that you not even can bleed the front system

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Steve, does your car have a booster cylinder on the front system? It's very difficult to bleed the front system in the conventional way if you have one of these.

john

13. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    John, no booster cylinder. i've successfully bled the brakes on this car 8-10X....never, ever had a problem. thanx for your interest. steve

14. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Beautiful pup, and nice TR4. I had a TR4A and now have a TR6. And a Golden Retriever named Audrey Hepburn. She likes being in the garage and 'helping' me. She's 9 months old now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jimlt4383 and christc like this.