A Modest Proposal (Alonso) | FerrariChat

A Modest Proposal (Alonso)

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    While many armchair F1 experts denounce Alonso's presence in a F1 team as "toxic", none can deny his brilliance and tenacity as a driver.
    My question is this: can Ferrari at this point in the season designate Alonso as a reserve driver?
    If so my proposal is this: retain Alonso for the balance of the season as a reserve driver for a retainer of $1(one dollar); give him some Vettel's P1/2 time in the car; if at the end of P3 it is the opinion of the team that Alonso has outperformed Vettel, designate him as the starter for Qualifying. He will be compensated purely by points scored on a scale comparable to those of Seb and Charles. Vettel would have a chance to show us his mettle--or not.
    It ain't going to happen but I would love to see it.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Vettel, who is facing some problems, would be completely shattered if Ferrari was contemplating such a scenario, IMO.

Senna1994 likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Welcome to The Piranha Club.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  4. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Alonslow is not coming back anytime soon...

william likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso who?

crinoid and william like this.
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    VPX likes this.
  7. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Just imagine he would have been driving this season instead of Seb.....
    Can't recall Fernando making mistakes like Seb did, not that stupid and certainly not that many.

Surfah, kandi, Senna1994 and 2 others like this.
  8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It's known that Alonso is heavily campaining to get a seat at Ferrari again, he has made several aproaches but keeps receiving a resounding "NO".
    Ferrari makes some stupid decisons but it this case they definitly got it right!

Thomas S., TheMayor and william like this.
  9. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I think Ricciardo is the most realistic and best option.

Bas, 444sp and VPX like this.
  10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I would be curious to see how Fred would do in a full season of IndyCar. Apparently that won't happen next year, but perhaps later. Only Nigel Mansell did it well and yet he never won the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race.
    My suggestion would be whomever would be Charles' best wingman.

daytona355, Jeronimo GTO and VPX like this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Fern has no interesting in driving in F1. If he did, he'd already be at MB or RBR.

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He has no interest in Ferrari or in F1. He'd only return to a top team, anyway...and that leaves out Ferrari.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry Korr, it's already been confirmed by several people (you can even read about it in motorsportmagazine by Mark Hughes) that Alonso has been constantly trying to get a drive with Ferrari ans still is.

Jeronimo GTO, crinoid and VPX like this.
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And Ferrari still would not have won while Leclerc becomes bitter and angry being held back behind someone who can never be a team player.

There's a reason why Ferrari dumped Alonso. It wasn't his lack of driving skills.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Too many people look at Alonso through rose-tinted glasses.

crinoid likes this.
  17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It’s so funny to me that so many very intelligent successful people who actually own companies or manage a lot of people who forget that one’s ability to do the work or task at hand is only one of the qualifications. They forget that attitude, personality, ethics, and their ability to work in that culture and environment all matter and are essential to that employee having success or not having success in any organization. Alonso has proven that he could only work with Flavio Briatore. No top team would touch him with a ten foot pole when he was available. Hmmmm I wonder if his backstabbing and betraying every single team he worked with had anything to do with that.

william likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Recruiting Alonso on your team is like introducing a virus in your computer.

Anyone with a brain wouldn't do it knowingly !

crinoid likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    We have a few viruses on Fchat as well.

stavura, kylec, Jeronimo GTO and 2 others like this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Jeeeeez... Your modest proposal is so complex that it wouldn't work.

First, Alonso wouldn't drive free, wouldn't accept to be "on probation" and still has some kind of contract with McLaren.

Then, you'd put more pressure on Vettel, and that's the last thing we need now. Even Enzo Ferrari wasn't so machiavelan.

And then going back and forth between drivers would confuse the team and the drivers and waste testing time, so in the end it would hinder the rest of the season.

If you want Alonso in the team, hire him in December for the whole season and don't waste time with experiments. But at this moment I doubt it could happen: firing Vettel is not cheap and the team seems to not be in a hurry to get rid of him. I suppose that if Vettel keeps spiraling down for the rest of the season, he'd may want to retire and leave for free, and then Ferrari would look for a quick replacement: Alonso would be on that very short list of available veterans.

william likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Don't worry, I have them on ignore !

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Are we talking about THE Fernando Alonso? Or is this about one of his progeny a la Verstappen, Raikonen, Schumacher, Rosberg etc? ;)

Seriously...leave the old man alone and stop dwelling on his past. Vettel was once great as well.
    This need to keep going back to the well that has run dry, reminds me of the days when Mario Andretti was greatly overstaying his welcome by wrecking cars every weekend, due to the lore of his golden years.

Ferrari deserves better than washed-up has-been egomaniacs. They already have one. Embrace a new age!
    Perhaps Ferrari should have a reality show, where they find the next great F1 driver by eliminating one every week lol

On that note, here’s some more interesting names than Nando. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/12/sons-f1-drivers-second-generation.html

furoni and william like this.
  23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    False premise. Former brilliance does not mean current brilliance.

Even still, it’s time for Alonso to eye a role more like Toto Wolffs, if he’s as brilliant as alleged.

william likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    He couldn't do it.
    Alonso doesn't know how to interact with people and with him everything become conflictual.

Agent Smith and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Yes, another unemployable genius. We all know at least one.

william likes this.