812 Spider | Page 47 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I would save stripe for the VS version.
    812 GTS is an elegant gentleman's express !!

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It looks WAY better in red rather than that blandfest gray.

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Who could be anything but 'Happy' with a new red Pista coming! The GTS by comparison seems to have been created for the boulevard where it seems the right color is more important than the right tires...

4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This solution is not safe, it's pretty clear the higher buttresses are for roll-over protection.

The 812 chassis was not designed to accommodate a pop-up style roll bar like say BMW or Mercedes use, particularly with the roof mechanism crammed into that space. Agree aesthetically lower is a better solution, it's just not possible with this chassis.

Also, for those who object to the set-to-the-outside buttresses, the 488 spider had the same characteristic:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DRYHOLE, Maggio23, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  6. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    We really did like the 812 GTS, it somewhat overshadowed the launch of the F8 Spider.
    Like the coupe though, I wish it was 10 to 15% smaller.
    I think it will be a huge hit.
    It wasn’t the most beautiful car at the event but the competition was tough....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DRYHOLE, stavura, ryalex and 4 others like this.
  7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    This is one reason why I bought a 488 coupe and later declined a Pista Spider and kept the coupe allocation. Having said that, I think the eccentric buttress design works better on the 488 models than the 812. A more traditional convertible top could have been made to work on the 812, and/or the buttresses could have been designed to look aesthetically less heavy and/or maybe centered on the occupants.

Like I said, it’s good to have choices. It’s obvious that many folks love the GTS design. It just doesn’t work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
  9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Is the interior of the cabin smaller at all? The 488 spider was always tight for my long legs ..

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How many are they making? Will it be rare like a 550 barchetta?

11. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    The 550 Barchetta was limited to 448 units. The 812 GTS will be regular production (not limited), but i heard the production is estimate to ~1.200 units. IMHO, Ferrari will go beyond this number (~2.000 maybe), because is a very attractive product (V12, N/A, open top w/ electric hard top, amazing lines, price not so higher than Superfast). So, i predict a huge demand for the GTS.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Maybe a 812 gts aperta one day then?

13. TheLastNA

TheLastNA Rookie

Sep 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ash
    What is a VS version?

14. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    A cheery post

stavura and RamsHmb like this.
  15. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I have always thought if G Silverstone were a special priced paint people would rave, very good value and under rated colour

tomc, of2worlds and deltona like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That would be yes and no. IMO the front is too clutered to sustain one unless it was thin or ghostlike (as a couple F12TdF's were done) yet the rear deck seems almost lonely due to the contrast of all the other usual unnecessary features added on to the rear and the fenders.

kandi likes this.
  17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Any thoughts on how much Grigo GTS would cost extra?

Also, why not just get grigo Silverstone, perhaps with a matte PPF? Very similar look for a lot less money?

18. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    But the Pista Spider has the rear engine to deal with in that space, whereas the GTS has much more room to work with in the region of the buttresses. They could have encompassed the seats with the buttresses.

In any case, I agree it’s vaguely unharmonious but it’s definitely not a deal breaker. I think Ferrari have scored well with this car

Garretto likes this.
  19. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Agree, a somewhat lazy effort. A flush design, even if it meant a cloth top, could have been more interesting, IMO. We're looking at the same buttressess since the 360 spider.

kandi likes this.
  20. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    tomc, Bundy and klinkman like this.
  21. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    I strongly doubt 2000 units. Ferrari's V12 production line is very, very limited and tough to scale. Would this be a V8 I would say yes, but for a V12 they simply can't make all they can sell. Regardless of good business or not.

F2003-GA, maxemus and sidewalk like this.
  22. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The Grey 812GTS on display at Universo Ferrari is specified with a option called 'Back Radar'. Modis Code - 'BRAD'

Does anyone know what this is?

The only thing I can assume is some new form of rear park assist?

23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #1174 Bundy, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Haha! Valid point!

I fully expected to buy a GTS (and hopefully VS) and have liked buttresses on other Ferraris. For me, I think it’s the GTS’s volume, height, shape, and eccentric location that trouble me, as well as a lack of overall design harmony? For example, on the gorgeous 375 Plus below (from IG’s ferraridirk), there is a harmony and a repeated design aesthetic between the single rounded buttress and the prominent front & rear fenders and hood scoop.

Also, the classic 1950’s and more recent Monza SP1/SP2 buttresses are also more rounded, shorter (do not rise above the seat top), and centered on the occupants. In the 375 Plus link below, the headrest is actually incorporated into the leading edge of the buttress. I understand modern safety regs wouldn’t allow this design, and the 812GTS has a functional hard-top roof but...

I also don’t always mind asymmetry, e.g. a single buttress looks even more beautiful to my eye than two, and we’ve chosen an asymmetric stripe on our incoming TM Pista. But the eccentric nature of the buttress location is off-putting to me when combined with its volume and height and lack of tie-in to other design elements on the car. I guess the sum total of the GTS buttress design doesn’t seem harmonious to me.

If I seem fixated on it, it’s because I was REALLY excited about the GTS and subsequent possible VS. I’m not crazy about the SF90 and don’t need an F8 when getting a Pista. Not much left in Ferrari’s incoming line-up for me which is a first. And makes me sad, particularly when future models may be full of a bunch of acronyms that I don’t want either.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://automotiveblogz.blogspot.com/2014/07/1954-ferrari-375-plus-0384-am-photos.html?m=1

KenU, 635CSI, C50 and 2 others like this.
  24. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Rob Gronkowski has entered the chat...