mystery switch | FerrariChat

mystery switch

Discussion in '308/328' started by snowsports1, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi i am restoring a 1979 308 gtb UK spec. On my centre console there is an extra switch hole (location circled on a library picture below) So i have a bank of 3 switches which are fan, wiper speed and hazards and two individual switches. one of them is the electric aerial switch. Can someone help telling me what the other switch is for? I am returning this car to standard. It may be spot lights but i dont think there is wiring for spot lights. Also it doesn't have a fog light

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Originally, there’s supposed to be nothing there.

ferrariowner likes this.
  3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Yup
    Just empty space

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Whatever you put there is going to be under the parking break handle which is why its blank to begin with.

5. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My car does have the optional driving lamps on the original order, would this be the mystery switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  7. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I've seen sometime this extra switch on markets which propose rare option, but I think it is very exceptional. (You also have an spare extra yellow light on the dashboard).
    Can you post a picture of it?
    The front fog light option is "normally" fit for the flashing facility (then you don't need to turn the stick to open the position light and put the headlight up). But not as a separate fog light. There is no switch for it you just have to pull the stick, or someone did a modification to use them its way.
    In UK car, you should have the rear fog light switch, near the parking brake.

8. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The picture isn’t my car, my car is right hand drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Sure, the picture is a US car.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would delete it.

Although the amber lamp on the dash says "Spare" in the OM , it's actually connected to the Choke lever in the Bezel in console

11. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    It is a little bit different for Euro car (and then UK RHD), the orange light on top left is for the fan, and the top right yellow is a spare. The choke has its own light at the bottom of the tach.
    The US model (& AUS+JAP) has the orange light on top left is for the fan (as Euro car), and the top right yellow for the choke. At the bottom of the tach, you have 2 big lights for the brake system (Euro car only have one small for the parking brake).

dflett likes this.
  12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Can you not just follow the wiring to its destination? Presumably it wont be inside the main wiring loom and so should be easier to trace.

Rosey likes this.
  13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Someone added something to yours...additional switch for the antenna, disco ball, daytime running lights, something not ordinarily there. My U.K. GTB has nothing there...