430 - 4-1 headers and the noise they make? | FerrariChat

430 4-1 headers and the noise they make?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Zed82, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Since i installed my top speed headers almost two years ago i´ve had issues with the exhaust sound. It was boomy and very noisy then with the stock exhaust and it´s the same now with the Tubi non valved dual muffler exhaust. The car does not sound like a Ferrari on low revs and has a motor boat like sound. A bit like a boxer engine. It sounds better on higher RPM:s but it doesn´t matter when you don´t drive around on high RPM:s all the time. I´ve had several negative comments about the sound and I get a headache from the drone.

I get the impression that top speed headers sound different compared to other brands who provide 4-1 headers? I heard some cars on youtube with top speed headers and s-line exhaust and I hear that boxer/American V8 noise on low rev in their cars also. My friend has a full IPE exhaust with 4-1 headers but his car is quiet compared to mine even with the valves fully open. His also doesn´t drone.

Any suggestion to how to remedy this, will Tubi and Capristo headers with 4-2-1 style sound different? Also I would like to hear others chime in with their experience of the 4-1 headers or top speed headers and sound.

2. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have Agency Power headers installed and i have the same sound. Low rpm growl but sounds better at higher rpms. Its not really the sound i want but not sure what else to do

Zed82 likes this.
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That appears to be the penalty of the 4-1 versus the oem 4-2-1 designed exhaust manifolds, at least when used with the factory oem or some aftermarket exhausts. I will say that with some others, it can still scream like a banshee, even with 4-1. Check into Kline or S-line.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I heard the top speed with s-line. Screams on hi revs but sound like an American V8 on low revs.

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have Capristo 4-2-1 and really miss the power delivery and sound of 4-1. This winter I'm going to sell the Capristo manifolds and go with Supersprint 4-1.

Tackleberry and Dicecal like this.
  6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

what other exhaust do you have with the cap headers and do you have high pitch sound

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think that is the trade off. I have AP headers and s-line, it sounds like an old school high pitched F1 car. I would not say at all it has any resemblance to an American V8 at any RPM level. However there is a small drop off in performance under a tiny RPM range in the power band.

So 4-1 sounds better, 4-2-1 for all you can get out of the engine.

8. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Dont really understand how different people can perceive things differently. Or are AP headers better sounding then TS?

9. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    To the OP, same thoughts here with my fabspeed headers. Am also curious if different headers with the same exhaust after the headers produces noticeably different sounds.

10. Dbacr

Dbacr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 1, 2015
    Ft lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My CS has fabspeed headers, high flow cats and Capristo sound 3 muffler. I get tons of positive comments on the sound. Not a single negative.
    If I’m driving around “normal” mode I get a drone right before each shift. Drive aggressive and it screams. Start up , hammered and idle sounds great. No drone while cruising, as long as I’m not higher range in a gear. 4500 rpms -ish seems to be drone range.

11. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have top speed with stock exhaust and get nothing but compliments on the sound. I think they sold like 6 pairs to people I know just based off the sound of my car.

Some cars have a different sound then others for some reason. I have a 05 and it sounds different then his 08.. he has since added s line and likes the sound better now.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Valve timing can change the sound significantly, even with the same exhaust. When you replace belts degree the cams and you will likely hear a pretty significant difference in sound. Kind of makes the hunt for the 'perfect' exhaust a bit of a mute subject until you have degreed your cams.

13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    430?

14. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

A 360 and a 430 will sound different even with the same set up so we have to be specific which cars were talking about

imahorse and Skidkid like this.
  15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yep, very different

16. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    The 430 has a much deeper tone stock also.

17. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I think the phrase used by my mechanic and the rest of the workshop to describe the sound of the TS headers and stock exhaust was "it sounds like a boat on idle". And it did.

I´m pretty sure the TS headers are the culprit here. They are not equal length and have a different sound then other 4-1 brands.

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you have an F430, talk to mwstewart and see if he will sell you his Capristo exhaust manifolds :)

Zed82 likes this.
  19. benelliwang

benelliwang Rookie

Feb 15, 2017
    Las Vegas
    I have top speed headers without the drone because I have an x-pipe in my exhaust routing. What you need is an x-pipe. An x-pip will get rid of drones in Ferraris, LSx motors, and other cars. Some Exhaust systems has an x-pipe in them, such as S-line and IPE. Other's do not, like Tubi.

20. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    As I mentioned earlier I’ve heard TS with S-line and my biggest objection is the low range burble. Sounds a bit like a boxer engine. Check this out.

21. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Drone is created by the resonance during a certain RPM or frequency that is created. Yes, on most cases a X-Pipe will help get rid of the drone but the amount of exhaust talk/crossover defines that. The 430 in general is known to have that throaty V8 sound in the low RPM and screams when you kick it into gear. That's just the personality of the vehicle and how it performs versus a specific exhaust company. Point being that exhausts without an X-Pipe and with a Muffler will not always drone.

f355spider likes this.
  22. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Get turbos :D

Tubi Sales likes this.
  23. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I can definitely point him in the right direction for that!

24. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Haha no thanks. Might be interested in the Tubi headers though but I’m located in Europe. :)

25. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    #25 radlu, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    I've heard them all. And I agree with the OP ...... they ALL sound "cheap". (doesn't sound like a Ferrari)
    Nothing sounds as good as OEM.