812 Spider | Page 48 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Before the 812 Spider was launched existed already five Ferrari models with front V12 engine using the GTS designation after the model number. They are the 275 GTS (1964), 275 GTS4 (1966), 330 GTS (1966) , 365 GTS (1969) and 365 GTS4 “Daytona” (1969). Curiously all the Vin plates of the Daytona spider cars show type 365 GTB4 and perhaps someone is able to explain the contradiction in a car that is officially the 365 GTS4.
    Below there are some views of the 812 GTS next to some of the predecessors, just missing the 275 GTS4, showing the evolution of Ferrari GT spiders design in the last fifty years.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan, R J, 4_Eff_Sake and 10 others like this.
  2. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Boy, if only they could have built a Ferrari cabriolet like in the old days...:(

ag512bbi, MDEL and Bundy like this.
  3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Ferrari's V12 production line had 30% reserve capacity recently, which is why they started to move some Portofino production to it as well. 812 SF demand fell off and that's why the GTS was introduced to create demand, only time will tell if it's there.

4. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    rumours of an 812 spider was discussed here during the time of 812SF's unveiling. so it was pre-planned

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    The 812 GTS seems to be in the "looks" category of the 575 SA more than these 'real' convertibles.
    812 is more of a targa.

6. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It seemed the same to me with maybe a few mm less headroom with the roof up, but I have no trouble getting in and out!

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Ohanoune

Ohanoune Karting
    BANNED

Sep 29, 2016
    Paris/ Milan/ Dubai
    It's a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy beautiful car.

F2003-GA likes this.
  9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #69 is a REBODY...………..done in America, not Italy.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, KenU, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Thanks, Marcel. I wasn’t aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nelsonc275 likes this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I fail to understand "demand dropped off", in April I spoke to many USA dealers and the 812 "order stack" was deep at many and most were very frustrated to only be receiving half their expected allocations. The only reason for "demand drop off" was Ferrari stopped providing sufficient allocations. But it does appear that 812 for EU/China were receiving more than expected allocations.

Further, the GTS was created because this is quite likely the end of the line for front engine V12s and they needed to do something as this will be their last best opportunity so they rushed this together. Remember, GPF regs came out just as the 812SF was being revealed and also, remember, the original 812SF design did not accommodate an open top, and the result is a reminder that the 812GTS is a "forced design" not exactly what they would of wanted to do otherwise but they may not be producing V12s after MY2021 (because of previously known EU emission regs and expectation Ferrari will no longer benefit from SVM status (small volume manufacturer, i.e. producing less than 10,000 vehicles per year regardless of destination market) so the EU regs will no longer be deferable through derogation, etc

GTS production is currently set to be about a year from now (so will be MY2021) and that will be the final model year of the 812 because of EU changes for CY2022 (CY=calendar year) will require redesign of the 812 chassis (different windshield tech, extra pole side impact zone) if it were to continue and make it even more complicated to build a spider/targa/open top car. Except for "end of life" overage allowance of approx. 10% of prior year's builds (just like why Pista can continue into CY2020 without GPF, because is end of life, that's why the super rush to build as many Pistas as possible). So I expect 812SF/GTS production to continue into CY2022 before it completely ends.

However, 812GTS was put into design/development before the CY2022 EU regs were announced, but once they were, Ferrari had to speed up 812GTS reveal to hurry up its production because now the writing is on the wall, there is no doubt that any 'carry over' model from MY2021 to MY2022 will have to be redesigned. That's a leading reason why the F8 is a short term model, it is likely the SF90 will also be short term since its chassis will also require redesign and by then Ferrari will have figured out that using YASA 'weakling' electric motors was a bad idea and will switch to a more capable motor (130mph max hybrid mode speed is certainly not 'Ferrari grade') plus if any useful advances in battery tech by then will be implemented as well.

Busy time in the automotive world!

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I am not a fan of the 812 coupe, it doesn't flow right to me with that swooping arch up the side and I don't like the "rancor monster" snout intakes.

But somehow the revised buttresses and decklid on the GTS really change the back end to the point that, surprisingly, I like it. I don't know if I would choose one over an F8, but it ticks a lot of boxes...

Adamas likes this.
  13. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I love them all right now, F8, F8Sp, 812GTS! Awesome stuff from Maranello!

14. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Our fellow members across the pond may not be familiar with this name.:D

of2worlds and Elisesko like this.
  15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

Jump to 1:00

Hmmm...

16. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Probably best. An American football player with a penchant for references to the #69 won't help our cause for being civilized.

KenU likes this.
  17. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    crinoid likes this.
  18. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Confirmed GTS deposit.
    812 ownership is/was the bar.

19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Very cool! Congrats
    Any idea of spec?

To confirm, your dealer said 812SF ownership is a prerequisite for GTS purchase? Is this dealer requisite or Head Office?

20. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks. No idea yet, I like my 812 spec a lot, but I think Argento is going to be too light. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/finally.601562/
    I'll go with something darker I'm sure, maybe the launch color. But it's months before those decisions, for sure.

He didn't specify, my impression was this was a factory requirement, and I think that lines up with what a lot of the European folks have said.
    He just said, "You're in as you already own an 812."

C50 likes this.
  21. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Same

of2worlds likes this.