94 512TR 66,000 mile major | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Well, here we go again. After 36,000 problem-free miles, the venerable flat 12 has begun to leak a bit of oil (from the rear transmission drain plug). Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zeff and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    So I guess it's time for a major service. The last one was done by me at home in 2005. I am interested to see the condition of the belts in comparison to the new ones. I guess the next service will be at 100,000 miles, but by then I'll be close to 80 and too old to do this again. Not much of a leak after a 120 mile jaunt and letting it sit for 2 days.

I will try to bring FChat along in this process. So far I have opened the drain plugs on each radiator and flushed the coolant with fresh water (engine running) and then blew some compressed air in the tank to get a little more liquid out. The drain plugs are rubber at the bottom of each tank and are removed with a stubby flat blade screwdriver (position and style different from workshop manual. Don't lose the o-rings.

First step was to remove the air filter boxes and the sturdy bar they are attached to. Use a hex socket and a 17mm wrench. A few taps with a hammer and a piece of wood will free it up. Reassemble all parts and put it aside for later.

I have already obtained a major service kit from T. Rutlands, as well as a 29 mm shim kit and some Hill Engineering tensioner bearings from Ricambi. I will change the belts, all seals and gaskets, water pump seal, new crank sensors, ac and alternator belts, check valves, re-paint (or powder coat) the valve covers, new hoses all around and hopefully remove and check the gas tanks and fuel pumps. At least that's the plan. This will take a while, as other pursuits (golf and bass fishing) are also a part of life. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Got to be one of the highest mileage 512m ever. Beautiful to see it driven; great work u are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe, JPMD and Zeff like this.
  4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this thread is worth more than gold and diamonds!

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry, don´t know, but I would use newer/other connectors and fix it so

the whole forum I would say ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  8. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just so we're clear, you went 14 years and 36,000 miles between major services?

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    He did. Ferraris dont melt in the rain either!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

TODDZTR, BOKE, peteficarra and 6 others like this.
  10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    14 years between majors... kudos for you. I went 10 years... :)

328GTSID likes this.
  11. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Driving a car in the rain and going 36k miles without a major service is hardly a comparison. I am thrilled to hear a guy actually uses his car this much and can go this long between services!

MrAwilson and 328GTSID like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ummm i wasn’t being literal lol

MrAwilson, BOKE, E_Man and 1 other person like this.
  13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Yes, 36,645 miles between majors to be exact. You are selling me on the gold connector kit...

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Once I get the engine out, I'll see what else crumbles before making a decision on the Gold Connector kit for $2362.70. I can certainly make some new weathertight connections with modern fittings.

328GTSID likes this.
  15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Sorry for the double images, they were OK in the preview.

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    If I was buying a Testarossa and saw non OEM electrical connections, the first word to come in mind would be “hack”.

Regardless of the installation quality.

Nothing worse in a used car than a hacked electrical system.

If Dave can find them.... so can you.

Here is a good place to start. Send ‘em a pic and ask for help!

https://www.digikey.com/

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would do a great major because I imagine the car, inspire High miles is worth a lot more than when u bought it;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I got the car in 2000, I believe, with 11,000 miles on the odometer. I bought it from a doctor who was getting divorced and needed to sell it for cash before his wife got out of rehab the following week. I remember him saying "either she gets half or you get half". That got my attention. He had bought it less than one year before from Shelton Ferrari in Ft Lauderdale and put just over 1000 miles on it. He had insisted on a '94 and the dealer did the major service before delivery. I think he paid just over $150K. I got it for $80K. I spoke to the salesman who sold him the car and he offered me $120,000 on the spot so I figured I couldn't get hurt.
    Some of the updates since new are chrome 512TR wheels, converting the rear to a round-tail light 512M style (I just think it looks better and all the 512TR parts are still here and can be put back), replacing pre-cats and cats with straight pipes (and disconnecting thermocouple ECU's), new custom headlights with harness and relays to take the high current circuit away from the steering column stalk, Dave Helms fuse box, new front AC fans, replacing all lights with LEDs', modified shift gate, replace dash pad and rewire dash, front and rear radar detectors with front "jammer" (I don't think it really works), new window lift assemblies, new door moldings, re-dye interior, remove interior and coat entire floor with rust-proof paint and install new sound deadener, new stereo with I-pod hook up (pre blue tooth), new starter, alternator, ac compressor, expansion valve, evaporator motor, dryer and so on.
    It really is a pleasure to drive, although I'm sure the purists would consider me a heretic. C'est la vie.

20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Remove asbestos heat shield on transaxle (10 mm nuts x 3 with washers)
    Next, remove coolant overflow tank. Four 10 mm acorn nuts with washers. Be careful not to lose the spacers sitting in the rubber grommets). There are two hoses, a large one on the bottom and the smaller overflow hose. Disconnect and remove tank and set aside. Remove starter. One plastic connector, one large wire from battery (? 15 mm) and 13 mm long bolts x 3. Reassemble hardware and set aside. You should be looking like photo 2 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Now is a good time to remove hood. Mark hinge area for reassembly. Put a towel between edge of hood and roof. Pop the spade electrical connectors off the bottom of the hood struts (one each side). Find 2 strong friends and have them hold hood while you remove the 6 mm allen bolts (2 each side), and then pry out the retaining spring on the bottom of the struts and pop them off. Place hood in safe area. Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Remove the black cover piece at the front of the engine bay under the rear window. Four 10 mm allen bolts. Reassemble and place with hood.

23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Remove the coil packs (leave all plug wires alone) and use a tie to secure them to the fuel rails so they are out of the way. Four 10 mm bolts each side. Remove the two multi-connectors attached to coils Image Unavailable, Please Login and bring those wires to the rear of the car.

24. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    On the rear of the engine are two electrical cables on the left and one on the right with a vacuum hose. Disconnect, feed through any grommets and lay on rear of engine. One electrical connection on each side goes to the exhaust thermocouple ECU. Since I took out my cats, I don't need the thermocouple, so my ECU's were previously disconnected and the connection taped. If you just remove the thermocouple, you will get a CEL (very bad). Here you see the two cables from the coils as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino