Worth keeping manual 360 as an investment? | FerrariChat

Worth keeping manual 360 as an investment?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by KILOCHARLIE, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Just wondering the general consensus here with regards to manual prices for a 360 Modena.

I've had my car 7 years and despite previously using it as a daily, it now rarely if ever gets used and is a garage queen. Kids and lifestyle changes mean it's now a toy rather than anything else.

I'm half tempted to sell as the value is far higher now than when I purchased but wondered what people's opinion is if they will hold value, increase as they become a modern classic or get pushed down as 458's and newer become cheaper with new models coming out.

The car cost a very minimal amount a year as insurance is low, it's not taxed apart from the summer and maintenance is minimal as apart from an occasional warm up it doesn't get used.

Any thoughts please? Especially in comparison to appreciation/depreciation with other models such as 430/599/458/F12 (just in case I sell, miss it and purchase one of those as a replacement)

Btw I'm in the UK. Thanks in advance

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i think they will be relatively stable and as time goes on it becomes difficult to find clean well cared for examples. id say keep it if you can!

3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    If you're looking at it from a pure investment perspective, sell it and put the money in an index fund or maybe even specific equities like one of the leading cybersecurity providers such as Fortinet. ;) However, if you just want a cool weekend toy that won't depreciate significantly, keep the 360.

2cam

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Couldn’t agree more. I’d like to add that imvho, a manual Modena isn’t likely to depreciate further. I see it retaining its value in a stable fashion. Can’t see it appreciating significantly in the near future either. If it’s not an expensive hassle to maintain, I say keep it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua likes this.
  5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    or you can sell and buy a stock trading at 30x sales......

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh id stay long the 360 stick and short stocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW.SauberF1Team and sixcarbs like this.
  7. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Ok thanks guys although I literally have no idea with half the stuff you mentioned! As a rough guide, what sort of annual return would be average on any of those things and I take it would be riskier than keeping a 360? I only invest in property usually, it's poor returns 7% say but a relative safe option in my opinion.

Also my 360 definitely isn't the cleanest option as an investment car. Mileage is pushing 70k and I've used it a lot originally. The only real things going is a faultless service history and being manual.

LotsOfTime likes this.
  8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Sell if you don’t enjoy it.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    As a fellow gated owner, I can share in your hope, but 2 cam is right, you may see a bump in value, but if the car isn’t “bringing you joy” (isn’t that the new thing?), then you can find investments that have a much more promising return than a car that still, by comparison, is relatively common. Less common than an F1, true, but still not an Enzo. If you ain’t feeling it, let someone else.

Caphill likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Keeping a ferrari and making investments are 2 separate decisions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The sobering truth.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think 3 pedal 360s will hold value but only the Stradales will see significant increase in value over the years.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    And 7% a year is nothing to sneeze at! Equities have and will go down big again

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I LOVE my 360 3-pedal (dare I call it a "manual") and at 67k miles as a euro I won't be getting top dollar.. but will probably at least break even and maybe make a few dollars. That being said, if the car is paid off and you don't owe money on it why not just keep it? Will you make more money than a stock investment: probably not. Will it suddenly be worth $200 USD? probably not. I'm keeping mine because why not. I'm not going to get the driving experience again from a newer Ferrari and I don't want to deal with the various idiots "will you take $35k for the car? It's a euro and has high miles.. ?" Umm No. Go away.

I'm not thinking the Straddle will skyrocket soon. It's a really cool car but I can't see why I'd buy it versus a DCT car.

OTOH, if the market crashes and we sink into a recession you might be able to repurchase your car for the same $$$ if not less. :)

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Bonhams just sold a nice looking 32000 mile one for Stg 62K incl premium with FFSH to a dealer.

I would keep it ,unless it start to require big $ servicing etc.Then again if you really not that excited anymore maybe let it go.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hold value, but lose ground to inflation in real terms.....which would be as good as people with regular incomes could hope for.