360 - First Legal Ride in my Azzurro California 360 Spider | FerrariChat

360 First Legal Ride in my Azzurro California 360 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by EastMemphis, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Today I finally got to drive my new to me Ferrari legally. It's taken a week to accomplish and now it's done. I had the top down, A/C blowing and heart going about 150 BPM as I cruised around for about 10 whole miles.

This wasn't my first ride, not by a long shot. I did a test drive in New Jersey, then drove it with a home made "In Transit" plate up I-80 to I-287 to I-87 to Kingston, NY, about 100 miles, one week ago. That ride was absolutely nerve racking since I was expecting it to blow up on me or to be stopped for my creative registration. About 75 miles into the trip, I couldn't get it out of 5th gear and had to drive the last 10 miles on 87 at 50mph. Pretty stressful. I expected to have to turn the car off once I reached the toll booth and an amazing disaster would unfold. Snarled traffic, cops yelling at me, impounded car, well, the imagination works wonders under stress.

As I approached the toll booth, I slowed down to about 20 and tried the shifter again. It miraculously slipped into neutral. I paid my toll and zoomed off like it never happened.

Turns out, the problem was the silly mat. It had bunched up under the clutch and prevented it from going to the floor. Fixed that yesterday.

I put my 360 on a UHaul trailer in Ulster, NY, and drove it back, along with some items from my father's estate, to Memphis. A fun two day trip.

Here's a picture of my beauty I took during my first ride:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Raconteur, Dewinator, ryalex and 9 others like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice color. Glad the problem was only the floor mat.

3. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Beautiful car!! Congrats and thanks for sharing the story.

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Beautiful color in a 6-speed manual awesome. Enjoy her with lots of miles

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I forgot to mention the wildly impossible coincidence that happened to me at the DMV. I overheard the guy next to me trying to decide if he should get antique plates (car over 25 years in TN) or not. As I concluded registering my car, I asked him what he was registering. He had a '71 Vette. I mentioned my car was a 360 Spider and wouldn't you know? He had one too. His is Rosso Corsa / tan. We yucked it up for a moment or two and went about our day.

What are the chances that two people who own Ferrari's would run into each other at the DMV in Memphis? It has to be close to a billion to one. Weird.

kes7u and energy88 like this.
  7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Gorgeous color!!! I was thinking floor mat as I was reading, how funny.

Enjoy!!

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have them already. The screw thing had ripped out. I fixed it though and now have the mat secured.

Having a new Ferrari reminds me of when my first and only child was left in my care. I always worried she was going to die on me and every pause in her breathing brought terror to my heart. After a while, I calmed down and she's still alive today. I hope the same is true of my new toy.

kes7u likes this.
  9. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    A&P Mechanic trick: Safety wire your floor mats to your seat rails. Discrete and effective.

RANDY6005, E60 M5 and EastMemphis like this.
  10. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I have the floor mat plugs and rings but the carpet still comes off it too easily. The safety wire tip is a good one! Twist tie maybe?

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Why would you have to drive 50 if you’re stuck in 5th? Should be good for top speed of the car close to 180.

12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I was having a problem and didn't want to compound it. Just like in an aircraft, best glide to a safe landing.