aaannd the fun begins...Major Gas Smell Coming into Cabin | FerrariChat

aaannd the fun begins...Major Gas Smell Coming into Cabin

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerrariKnight, Aug 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariKnight

FerrariKnight Rookie

Jul 10, 2016
    Well, I've had this butte for about a month. I'd say I've filled up the gas tank maybe 4-5 times since. Never had an issue and I always use 94 octane.

I did a fill up yesterday afternoon and went on the highway with a passenger. All good so far, soon as I pushed her and the reves went up, major and very potent gas smell inside the car, coming through the bents for sure as both windows and top were closed. Keep in mind I also had the AC blasting at full.

As I slowed down the smell would go away, but soon as I pushed her on high reves the smell came back strong. Once I stopped I opened the rear hood to have a look, no smell or any visible leaked. however I did notice some wetness on two of the rubber hoses, not sure if it's connected. There weren't dripping or anything but I don't know.

The Smell is completely gone now, wondering if the tank was to full.

2. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    #2 Julian Thompson, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First easy peasy job is to remove the right hand side cover from the engine bay, and check out the charcoal canister and vapour venting valves, as well as the disareator rail that passes under the small rear window. This is where the majority of the fuel connections are. This image is of the vapour valves on the right hand side behind the panel. You can also see the rail I'm talking about accross the window and the connections on the end. Charcoal canister is at the back - follow the pipes from the disareator valves to the rear past the oil cooler and you'll find it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 likes this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. Coupe or Spider?
    2. If coupe smell the plastic grill on either side of the rear window above the engine with the rear hatch closed. The stronger smell of gas on one side vs. the other after resting in the garage should tell you which side to consider
    3. If a coupe remove the engine panel as above.. I want to say its a 3mm hex to get the bolts off. If a spider fold the top back partially to get access to the plastic behind the seats and under the top. If you have access panels above each pump you're golden. If an early car you can make a panel or raise the top mechanism.
    4. It's a rollover valve that the plastic has cracked -or- pump plastic that has cracked.
    5. If the former order and replace likely not to result in a fireball, the latter don't drive it until you replace the pump. It could result in high pressure gas spurting around that will burn when it contacts the cat convertor. If you decide to drive, bring marshmallows just in case for interesting spectacle.

4. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Fyi... my Spider's issue was a cracked fuel pump 'hat'.

5. FerrariKnight

FerrariKnight Rookie

Jul 10, 2016
    Thanks Guys, mine is a 360 Spider.

To be honest, I am not that mechanically savvy - reading those replies on what and how to do driving me mental. I need a step by step for dummies.

6. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    I'm right there with you. My 'Step 1' is to take it to the shop :)

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1.

If it were a VW where the replacement parts for making mistakes during the repair was cheap, I'd say do it. With a Ferrari, over tightening things or having parts break being ham fisted during the repair is expensive. Consider bringing it in. If you muck around with plastic parts, cracking becomes an issue. If an early spider, unless the ports are there then you have to dremel them and I wouldn't recommend unless you're handy.

8. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Jeez guys. It's just a car ... designed and assembled by humans and held together by nuts, bolts, screws, and other fasteners... It's not a space shuttle.

I recommend doing some basic investigation (visual, aural, olfactory, touch, etc.) in order to make an informed evaluation or decision. Some basic questions from which to deduce:
    1. Under what circumstances is the odor evident?
    2. Does the odor emanate more from one side than the other?
    3. What parts could be causing the odor? ... fuel pump, fuel lines, evap valves, hoses
    4. Is my vehicle known to be susceptible to a part failure based on production number?
    5. What other F-car owners experienced the same indications? What was their corrective action?

Here's how to R&R a fuel pump on a 360 Spider: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/527191-how-remove-replace-fuel-pump.html

9. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Could be a cracked fuel pump...
    smell the vents after pulling it in... if you smell gas then you know where to start.
    Mine had a crack at the top of the plastic fuel pump holder... could also be one of the vacuum lines or part of the evap system.

VAF84 likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    FYI, usually when I read a post like this:

"To be honest, I am not that mechanically savvy - reading those replies on what and how to do driving me mental. I need a step by step for dummies."

I don't recommend that person go and do the repair. You do know that if his Spider is an early model.. you can't see the fuel components via the access cover right? And the entire top needs to be removed or the panels made..

Its not the car, its the capabilities of the person repairing it!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Working on a car is definitely not for those that are not mechanically inclined. I have a friend who is not mechanically inclined attempted to work on his own car. It was painful to see and in the end he screwed more things than he fixed.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Iirc, he has an early 2001 spider.

13. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If he's not comfortable doing it himself, I wouldn't recommend he start with a fuel issue. Iirc they can lead to a couple of bad outcomes.

14. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Good comments here.....I just went through this after a short drive last weekend and fuel odor issue. I drove car home and then after a hour checked the vents behind the doors on my 2002 360 spider. The driver side was fine but the passenger or right side smelled of fuel. Upon inspection it was a cracked top part to right fuel pump. Left side looks to have been done as screws have some marks on them. Easy repair..... All set and back in business with car running well. Fuel pump had not failed by the way it just was leaking at top head part.....Thanks.

brookliner7 likes this.
  15. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had this earlier this year. Wet hoses too. Tirned out my fuel pumpa were fine but the fuel lines themselves rotted from within and were seeping gas. That and my rollover valves were toast

3 weeks and 2300 bucks later and all was replaced and fine.

Remove vanity panels and see if plastic caps on fuel pump are cracked. If not, you may have what i had