458 - New to Ferrari! In market for a 458, any buying advice?! | FerrariChat

458 New to Ferrari! In market for a 458, any buying advice?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Skypilot23, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skypilot23

Skypilot23 Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rich L.
    Whats going on,

Been lurking on the forums for a couple of months now. I'm officially in search for a 458 coupe (maybe spider). Coming from a GT4 Porsche and Rennlist forums.

That being said, any buying advice that you guys would have? Any specific years to avoid?

Do plan on getting a pre purchase inspection, but just wanted to seek any other precautions before getting to that point.

Thanks! Very excited!

2. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    Get it! great car.Bought a 2015 close to a year ago, I love it!!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  3. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    My advice, scroll through the forums and read through the hundreds of threads that already cover this topic.

I just bought mine a few months ago, trading in a ‘16 GT3 RS. As a Ferrari fanboy who cannot afford a Speciale, the 458 was the sweet spot.

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    As with most models, the later the better. I was told 13-15 are the best iteration of the drivetrain. Earlier DCTs were more prone to failure. For me there was value in CPO warranty because DCT failure is $$$$$$$. I heard replacement numbers in the $36-40k range.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Mid to late 2012 and after and you should be in pretty good shape. As mentioned, there are plenty of threads which are specific to your question.

Everyone has their opinion. Some people say you must have the lift, others say no. Some people say if you don't have the LED steering wheel, you might as well go hang yourself from the rafters in your garage. I will say that a backup camera makes life so much better in the 458. Also you might want to check wheel weights, as I seem to recall the forged wheels are a lot lighter than the base wheels.

Ray

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    2010-2011 with original software a plus.
    Otherwise, 12-15 racing seats and led wheel.

Buy on condition and known history. Miles wouldn’t scare me.

AlfistaPortoghese and ryalex like this.
  7. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    also buy the Spec you want. ...although your not going to get everything you want, but find whats important to you. For me it was the Race seats and full carbon fiber interior, Nero with red stitching.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Agree wholeheartedly with Dustman.

Just like to add that from 2012 onwards you get the 7 year free maintenance perk, although I don’t think that’s reason enough to choose one car over another.

Condition, options/spec and history. The rest is of little consequence.

Being a 2011 Italia owner I may be biased, but don’t underestimate how fun, loud, engaging and special those exhaust crackles/pops on liftoff are. Sometimes I go for a drive just because of them and I smile everytime that son of a gun backfires on me.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Wazmo likes this.
  9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Made by yours truly back in 2016:

(2011 Italia - stock exhaust)

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    Shoot me a PM with an email address and I’ll share my ‘questions to ask’ list that I put together while shopping for mine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

butcher likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you find one from 13 and on, it will have had the 7 year service plan, that now comes with all new Ferraris. Ger warranty on the car. Some of the early cars had some teething issues with trans etc. But anything m/y '13 and on should be fine.

Other than that, not much to say. Don't worry too much about milage. A car that has been driven but well maintained are often in better shape than a low milage garage queen. These cars don't like to sit.

12. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    LED wheel, Shields, and forged wheels are the biggest resale options that almost every buyer wants.

Lift, Racing Seats, Parking Sensors, and Rear View Camera are also desirable options, but not to the extreme of the above 3.

Cosmetic Carbon Fiber are the most expensive and generally most frivulous options in that they hold little resale value. If a car's MSRP is massive because of carbon fiber, you should get a huge discount on that car versus original sticker.

Buy on spec and condition.

Philipnz likes this.
  13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Original NON-UPDATED ECU spec 2010/2011 Italias still in possession of factory run-on have become absolute unicorns -- totally unappreciated and largely UNKNOWN by most! You have an absolute treasure, don't ever sell and don't ever let dealer accidentally perform ECU update else the pops/crackles will be gone forever!! :)

Ash Patel and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    none of us will see and drive it, only you

if it makes you turn and stare at it when walking away, buy it

DefunctNeurons, Ash Patel and Graz like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    True wisdom

DefunctNeurons likes this.