Question about F430 exhaust bypass valve controller | FerrariChat

Question about F430 exhaust bypass valve controller

Discussion in '360/430' started by saudio, Sep 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It appears that one can disable the exhaust bypass valve by simply disconnecting the vacuum hose and plugging the hose.

It also appears there is a solution that allows one to control this action remotely:

http://forzacomponenti.com

I looked at a Youtube video on installing that thing and while not difficult it does require some time and effort and cost.

My question, is there any reason why installing simple inline shutoff valves in both vacuum hoses wouldn't be a cheap an elegant method to toggle back an forth from ECU controlled bypass to always-open? Has anyone already done this? On such an analog call it seems like an analog solution. Not as convenient as hitting a button but still easy.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought about that but think it would wear out the hose with repeated use. But good idea!

4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I did the forza valve controller.... works great.

5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Inline shut off valves would work great except you cant operate them from the drivers seat. Unless you route them somehow into the cabin.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agreed, very simple install...about 30 or 40 minutes, even for a first timer. I would add a few wire ties to tidy the cable routing. That's it!

7. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agreed. Here in my city, we now have some very strict noise ordinances implemented this year. Having the remote fob of the Forza Componenti to easily switch back to "normal" mode when I see the police nearby, is awesome.

8. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OK I'm convinced, on second thought being able to change the setting from the cabin is important. I need to be in stealth mode when I drive through my neighborhood and I don't want to stop and get out of the car. I'm going to get the Forza and give it a go.

f355spider likes this.
  9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Agreed or the post before yours (#8) would work just as well.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on e bay, usually some used ones about after people change cars and remove them.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Good idea! Just make sure which model you are buying, as they offer several now, and which version. There are early and late types with different capabilities.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it was not for the special connectors, i bet you could modify a £40 garage opener remote system.

13. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Could you tell me if you had to unbolt anything to make the connection on the drivers side? That seems like the trickiest part. Also did you fit the control box in the drivers side compartment?

14. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I glanced but couldn't find anything. For $385 I suppose new is OK.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    All I had to undo was the left side most rearward engine side panel. This is the smaller of the two on each side. I don't recall if I needed to remove any heat shields or not. Then it was simply following the instructions to disconnect the oem connections, and route the new cables. I placed the box, wire tied, under the left side engine bay panel that I had removed. Once I wire tied the new cables in place, I tested operation, then reinstalled the side panel. Taking great care and double checking everything, it took me all of 40 minutes tops. I am sure I could do it in under 30 minutes now.

Purch23 likes this.
  16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    PM the seller here on Fchat. He might offer you a discount code. Many vendors will do that. But even at full price (what I paid) it was more than worth it.

Purch23 likes this.
  17. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! I saw one video where a tank had to be unbolted to get access to the relay, and another where the person was able to feel around and make the connection without unbolting. I'd prefer not to unbolt anything unnecessary since this will be the first time I apply a spanner to the car.

18. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm afraid I already ordered, but thanks and I'll remember to check here before ordering other Ferrari bits. Not that I plan on ordering many bits ;-)

f355spider likes this.
  19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Unlike our president, I have smallish hands...no unbolting anything for me. But even if you did, I'm sure it would not be a huge deal

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Totally possible to make up a simple harness and feed the wires up to the drivers seat. But I really don't have the time, or inclination. But I have seen folks do it, and even our local dealer offers the service. But by the time you source the connectors, make up the harness, weather proof it...install and feed the wires up to the front, and source a Ferrari switch to install on the dash, so it looks stock...way more hours and dollars than I am willing to invest. And you still have more functionality with the Forza Componenti product, as it adds the ability to keep the valves always closed if desired. Also, the added switch on the dash is a ding for those that show their car in a concours, as it will be spotted as a non stock change. I was able to breeze through concours judging, who never spotted the Forza Componenti installation. I simply removed the remote fob from the console and put it in my pocket. ;)

Purch23 and Red 27 like this.
  21. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    :)

22. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I installed the Forza unit today, and I love it. No major problems with the install, other than dealing with making a connection by feel. It works like a charm and I love hearing the full roar of the exhaust when I want to, plus being able to go stealth.

Bob in Texas and f355spider like this.
  23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    f355spider likes this.