F8 - Interior Carbon Fiber: Gloss or Matt? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Interior Carbon Fiber: Gloss or Matt?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dicecal, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #26 Shadowfax, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    It wasn't the price for matte that put me off. The finish gave it a confused look insofar as what material it actually was (as in, is it plastic or is it??? ...ah ok I finally got it; it's unfinished CF ...sooo, should be cheaper?). It isn't bad or anything but for what it is it's definitely over-rated (visually). Not too many would argue that - other than those who (thought) they were buying into some sort of exclusivity over and above the next guy.

It seems to be a clear case of "charge a bit extra for something and it must be better", but guess what it really isn't. In the pursuit of an edgy and/or bit more of a unique look instead of offering the run of the mill gloss CF (which clearly works) the end result of the matte just didn't seem to hit the intended spot (dammit), so they, (Ferrari) must of thought heck let's just put higher price on it and see what TF happens - I mean what have we got to lose? So they did. And, do you blame them? I mean how good can it be getting paid more for dealing up less? Not often opportunities like this come along! And, if they buy into it, it's a win win!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you want to save weight, avoid Mexican food the night before and it should be the same effect. :)

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Eliminating the high gloss finish on the CF will result in a weight reduction of almost 2 ounces. Similiar result by shaving, getting a haircut and clipping your nails prior to driving. Better still, leave your cell phone or watch at home and for those high rollers, do not bring your wallet into the car. When tracking, fast the day before and do a cleanse.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This ones a $10K haircut and one you'll wonder about for some time to come. But look at the bright side - you lost 2 ounces.

5. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I thought it was the other way around?

7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #32 ScrappyB, Sep 14, 2019
    Interestingly, the Senna came standard with satin finish carbon. I spent a small fortune to switch everything to gloss and have zero regrets.

That said, I find the mix of satin and gloss on the interior doors panels of the SF90 with AF pack to be a nice contrasting touch.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ha! True

simchanova likes this.
  9. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Gloss simply looks better and is better for resale, if that is a priority.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    There’s a dash piece around the instrument cluster offered in carbon fiber for the Pista, but is only available in a matte finish. Glossy carbon is N/A. Thought that was interesting.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #37 MalibuGuy, Sep 14, 2019
    There is also color carbon to choose from—blue, red, yellow and even green.

Weight savings is something that Ferrari is always mindful about. Titanium lug bolts? I never went in for that but many do.

Alcantara? Personally I always preferred a leather wrapper, even if it is slightly heavier. But Alcantara has its fans.

Carbon rims and undertrays are other pricy options.

And the SF90 has titanium springs.

13. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I wanted and specced gloss carbon in my Pista but Ferrari made it matte and made me pay for it. Maybe I’m rationalizing but it is growing on me. It seems to match with the alcantara to my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Lagunae92 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm pretty sure the matte finish CF is not unfinished CF. I think it is similar to matte finish paint, the difference is in the clear coat. They charge extra because they can.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The carbon fiber options seen in the street cars came from Ferrari’s racing traditions. Obviously in racing weight savings is extremely important. So carbon is used extensively both on exterior and the interior of the race cars. Most of the interior carbon had a mare finish rather than gloss. The gloss finish that appears in the street cars was done for aesthetics. On the more track-focused models Ferrari wants the cars to be closer to the race cars, so using matte carbon is again a nod to that tradition. If you follow IMSA just look at the interiors of those cars. Cloth door pulls, roll up windows, no carpet or sound insulation, carbon seat backs are all part of that effort.

Speaking about saving an ounce, Porsche substituted a sticker on the front bonnet of their race inspired models instead of the usual plastic badge.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With Ferrari you could go for painted shields instead of the enamel ones - it's not lighter than having no shields at all though, but your wallet definitely is afterwards ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Some swear by the painted ones. They are a bit larger and can look more proportional on larger fenders. Also if you won’t have to worry about the possible misfortune of returning to your car only to find that some thief has prised them off.

18. dvelez2

dvelez2 Karting

Jan 20, 2016
    Full Name:
    Daniel A. Velez
    Where’s the data for that comment? I think it’s all a matter of taste. Some don’t mind scratching their gloss CF areas when cleaning it, some do. Some like the shine some don’t. The weight argument is also not a sound. My two cents, I like the matte finish.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I’ve gloss in the 488 but opted for matt in the pista
    The overall interior theme strongly influenced my decision.
    The photo does not accurately demonstrate the difference between the two materials, but in person I felt the matt made for a more unified design scheme. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Costs are actually dearer with matt composites

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No the matt is in the epoxy resin itself.

Might not worry anyone who are holding their cars for a few years but gloss carbon will yellow. Fact. Its an Epoxy. But hey its what you like.

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

If you have the race seats they will be gloss, I would use gloss carbon then.

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Also the only standard carbon part the insert the length o f the dash is carbon. Available in matt also .

Im trying to find out if they can paint it the same Grigio Canna di fucile as the dash, so as to eliminate all / any carbon.

FYI the standard aluminium color of the dash parts is grigio nart.