Cam pulley bolt NO sealant ? | FerrariChat

Cam pulley bolt NO sealant ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by plip, Sep 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi

slowly getting to the point of reassembly after changing cam oilseals, OR, Tensioner bearing etc.

Car had quite some sealant when disassembled :

Oilseal carrier :

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Cam pulley bolt :

Am not very inclined to put RTV on either ORs although have to say engine did not leak b4.

How are you mounting the cams and the pulley OR with or without sealant ? If sealant any specific recommendation (have Hondabond 1216, Three Bond 1194, Permatex Ultra Grey and Dirko ) ?

Do you happen to know the exact dimension of the pulley bolt OR (forgot to order with other spares at Ricambi) ?

Many Tks

Gianni

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I use hylomar on o-rings. It stays fluid.

Lots of folks here disagree.

Keep all solids (silicon etc) out of the threads in the cam. Hylomar will flow thru a cam bearing and in very small amounts will do no damage. Next time... a small amount of hylomar on the outer threads of the cam will be ez cleanup. Still though - try to ensure the threads in the cam have nothing on them. Clean and dry. Try to keep all the hylomar in the o-ring area.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this red RTV is a little too much. but I also always put some RTV there
    where the blue RTV is I also put it on before putting in the screw and never had then leaking.
    but always a terrible job to remove :(

you mean the pulley on the cams?

for what you need this? you can use the old ones without any problem - when they still look ok

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No sealant

plip and tbakowsky like this.
  5. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Well...they're not precisely in good shape

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry, missunderstanding or missreading from me
    I thaught you need new srews and not OR ( have just now recognized that OR means o-ring )

sure, use new ones

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You don't need to use any sealant on the o-rings. Just have to make sure that they are the correct size (thick enough to compress under the washer) and that the washer that secures the pulley has the cutout to clear the pin in the sprocket/cam is over the pin.

I have seen techs not align the washer correctly and the pin holds the washer away from the sprocket, causing the o-ring to not seal and leak oil.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    plip likes this.
  9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Not to mention all that flotsam inside the cam just waiting to plug off the oil supply to a cam bearing.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you only put a little sealing compound on the O-ring then this sealing never will go to the thread from the screw as we see it here on fatbillybob´s photo and so never wil go into the camshaft and block some holes

until now I not have seen such bad work and for me it is hard to believe that a mechanic/technician work on ferrrai will do such a work :(

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #11 vincenzo, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Depends on how much goop was used.

That same thread goop (fatbillybob) is embedded into the cam’s internal threads. You can bet your bottom dollar that many (most) techs will NOT spend the time to extremely carefully clean out those internal threads. I’ve spent well over an hour on cleaning those internal threads. An internal camera is a must. Very time consuming.

The ’next’ tech installs the bolt and pushes that goop deeper into the cam.

The US car repair industry is driven by flat rate techs that cut every corner they can to get it done more quickly and to prevent a customer from returning with a problem (leak). That cam will not fail ‘this time’ - it will fail ‘next time’....... somebody else’s problem.

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Tks for the hints. On a separate note, any of you have got the tensioner bearing loose on the carrier ? One mounts with the correct interference but the other just slide in. Incidentally this is the one which fall apart soon as tried to take it out. Seems the carrier are quite difficult to get....any of you mounted with loctite or similar for bearings ?

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

1RedHead and plip like this.
  14. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Many Tks indeed Vincenzo. Yr help always highly appreciated.

vincenzo likes this.