Rejoining the F car Group | FerrariChat

Rejoining the F car Group

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JrMint, Sep 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    #1 JrMint, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    As a very active Lambo-talk member and having owned many Lamborghini cars(currently have 2015 AV roadster in the stable,) I have purchased a 458 this week. It is a 2011 that I picked up with 3300 miles here in Puerto Rico and so far the car drives nice, looks nice, and sounds very nice! Nothing compares to my Aventador but it does sound great! I should mention that my first and only F car was a 2004 360 spyder.

I've ordered a Forza controller for the exhaust valves. I had some questions regarding this car.

The car was under Ferrari maintenance here until Feb of 2019, so it's been fully serviced. I noticed that the brakes were a bit squishy while driving around some mountain roads yesterday. Much different than the Ceramic brakes in my Huracan I just sold recently.

I got an Adaptive Light Control failure while driving, parked, turned the car on and it hasn't come back. Anyone have any insight on this?

The RPMs on the steering wheel do not work. I went into the settings, car settings and it's in the 'on' position, still not working.

I usually park most of my cars that are equipped with a single/dual clutch trans in neutral, engage the ebrake and be done with it, but I noticed this car goes in car wash mode if I do this. Is proper protocol to just leave in first gear, engage brake and turn car off?

Near the e-brake I see auto park button, can anyone help me figure out what this does specifically?

Car has a New power warranty for another year. Does this cover the electronics on the car? ie: Radio, nav, steering wheel, gauges, etc.

I have searched the forum for answers and quite frankly there are so many threads and the many I read didn't help. Will post some more as I get to know the car more.

I will say this, one of my favorite features is that I can put the front lift down even after the car is off. This is not an option on Lamborghini, nor do they alert you it is up, so I've had to restart the cars many many times to put it down over the years. Thanks in advance.

2. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    151 views and 0 replies?

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just turn the car off when you are done. auto is for auto shifting.
    warranties have been discussed at nausea. math will show you most extended warranties are good for the house and a suckers bet so im not the guy to ask.

4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    1. If the Auto button is like the 430— the 430 defaults and is always in automatic when started up as noted by dash read out. A small “auto” light
    After starting I usually push the auto button once to put car in manual shift mode.

Welcome back to Ferrari.

5. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not asking what the auto button does, i'm asking what the auto park button does. This button is above the parking brake button.

As far the warranty, i'm simply asking if the New Power warranty covers those things as the car has one until next summer. I am definitely in agreement with most on whether or not a warranty is needed, or worth the cost for that matter.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    all 458 have CCB brakes

7. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm aware, hence comparing them to my Huracan CCB. These feel squishy, is this common? I have to press them very hard to get the car to stop and it doesn't feel like it has great stopping capabilities.

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    not sure what you mean by squishy. If you have any doubt about the stopping capabilities try tracking it.

9. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    #9 JrMint, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    The brakes aren't so touchy, in order to feel it stopping when coming from a high speed, I need to press the pedal quite hard and it just doesn't "bite" like I am used to.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Congrats on the 458. Enjoy.

11. Kage65

Kage65 Rookie

Oct 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Joe johnson
    Maybe start a new thread that specifically pertains to your brakes question, with the question in the title - may get more views.
    I'm not yet a 458 owner but been looking at them. For what its worth I drove a gt3 where the brakes felt similar, and some gt3 owners mentioned that the brake fluid may need changing, or that the stock pads were replaced with racing pads. They said maybe the car had been heavily tracked.

12. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    Car has 3300 miles on it and never tracked. Brake fluid changed in April. Taking to the dealer next week to see what's going on.

13. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    My 458 had ~4,600 miles and had never been tracked and I had the same feel on the brakes as you are having. I constantly lacked faith in the stopping abilities of the brakes.I took it to the track to burnish the pads / rotors and it changed the feel. Might give that a shot. The lambos I have driven had much toucher brakes in general.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster likes this.
  14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Best bet to take it to dealership to have it checked out. I’ve owned two 458s and never found the brakes to be “squishy.” They definitely have to be warmed up to work efficiently though particularly on cold mornings (probably not too common in PR). When you stop the car just pull both paddles back simultaneously and brake should engage. Remove the key. It will say “car wash mode.” You shouldn’t have to actively engage the parking brake.

15. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Best bet to take it to dealership to have it checked out. I’ve owned two 458s and never found the brakes to be “squishy.” They definitely have to be warmed up to work efficiently though particularly on coldmornings (probably not too common in PR). When you stop the car just pull both paddles backsimultaneously and brake should engage. Remove the key. It will say “car wash mode.” You shouldn’thave to actively engage the parking brake.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Welcome back from the dark side.

17. JrMint

JrMint Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2016
    We definitely don't have cold mornings here, but Tuesday I'm going to take it to the dealer to see if they are performing as they should. When I stop the car, I have been leaving it in 1st gear and turning the car off and the parking brake engages automatically. When I turn the car on, press the accelerator, the brake releases automatically. I will try this in neutral.

Thanks, however I still have my Aventador and actively looking for a Performante that I can twin turbo. I just sold my Huracan that I had done a twin turbo kit on and was awesome, now I want to do it to a Performante. So far liking this 458, hoping to install the Forza controller this week as it came in the mail a few days ago.

18. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    I love my Pista and 488 before it, but nothing I’ve ever owned sounds like my Aventador.

19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Maybe give the 812 a shot. You might be surprised.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    To park leave in "1" gear and turn the car off. You'll feel it set the rear brake hold.