Timing belt goes poof | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Timing belt goes poof

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ttforcefed, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Brave man :D

Very rewarding car, but a prima donna.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

ttforcefed likes this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Don't know about the "earlier" part as my attached schedule clearly states 198. But yes, nonsense. And the workshop manual states 25k miles (at lease my version of the WSM). The point is that Ferrari said what ever they needed to say. I was also told by my local dealer, back when it came out, that the 3 yr/15k mileage recommendation for all V8s was a move by Ferrari to stimulate service because dealers were complaining of lack of service income. I have no idea if that was true, but it was told that by the service manager.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So... as of this point one person who has experienced a timing belt implosion? I want to say I've read of 3-4 or so in these hallowed pages..

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh and after 30 years isnt it weird no one has come out with a better made timing belt???

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Fixed it for you.....

Would be really cool to DD a 355 though.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Sure they have....it's called a chain.

LARRYH and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #32 Wade, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    From what I've seen, it's rarely the belt (materials are improved over the years) but the bearings and [lack of] talent instead.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They have, and did. The 550, 612, 355 and 360 all have a pretty serious timing belt compared to say a 308, TR, Boxer.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    While not in a Ferrari, I had a belt go at the 10 year mark, with approximately 25K miles.
    The Jensen Healey was my daily driver, far from a garage queen, but a gently driven SOCAL car it’s whole life.
    Luckily, it was on start-up so only banged one cylinder worth of valves.

I wish I had done the belts every five years, at the time the repair took money I couldn’t really spare.
    With the Spider, the same failure now would cause less financial pain, but it would still sting.
    So I figure every 5 years is a good compromise.

11. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    When I owned rubber belt Ferraris, it was a concern. Not so much the belt itself, but the tensioners even more. I changed both every 5 years and I always did that regardless of mileage. But I’ve got to tell you what piece of mind a modern Ferrari is in terms of maintenance: easier, faster and cheaper. Plus: metal chains instead of rubber belts.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here's a post I made in the 612/599 forum a while ago -

My 2003 Harley Deuce turns 17 years old in August. It has 38K miles on it and the drive belt looks fine. Two years ago a buddy of mine changed the drive belt on his 2002 Softail after 15 years and over 80K miles. He said the belt looked great and he only changed it because he was doing other work on the bike and figured he would just do it while stuff was apart.

I would say the the belts on my Harley and his have been regularly subjected to stresses much higher than the timing belts on my 612 OTO. We both do a lot of hard acceleration in the lower gears, and both bikes with riders weigh close to 900 lbs. Now there are two things to consider. One, the Harley belt may be of better strength/quality than the Ferrari belt. And secondly, if a drive belt breaks, well no big deal.

I just did a belt change after 5 years last year. I'll probably change them again 2023, but then maybe I'll test their longevity. Hey, I'm not risk adverse! :D

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Yes but it would take a drive system the size of a Harley to be comparable. The belt gets flexed a lot more going around the small crank pulley(s) and tensioners on an engine.

Not much room for 10" cam gears and 5" crank gear(s) :)

Still, I know of many Harleys making 125+ at the wheel that continually destroy drive belts. Many convert to chain.

14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'd like to state that the 308 GT4 I owned and did a belt service on in the spring, had a date coded belt on it, from...1981

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't know what the mileage was in 1981, but based off the books, probably less than 10,000 miles, and when I sold it, it had 52,xxx miles and had been to Europe and back, driven all over too.

Pretty damn good longevity on that rubber.

15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Not sure why that double posted....

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Didnt know u can put a chain in a 355 or 512tr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Really? 355 has a 5yr belt interval no?

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari went to 3 years across the board except for the 612 which 5 years regardless of miles. Which is weird considering the 612 uses the same engine as the 575.

In all reality, these cars could easily go 7 years between changes. They do use very high quality belts, hoses etc..and if the tensioner bearings in the past were replaced with the hill units.

ttforcefed and Nospinzone like this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So where does the paranoia of belts going poof come from. If anything id say this thread paints a very different picture and we all know how the internet cultivates doom and gloom. But at least so far, its not widespread.

flash32 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Can only speculate, but I think it comes mainly from the knowledge owners have of what happens when a belt gives out and/or a tensioner goes to meet its maker. Most of the time that’s a sure recipe for a new engine, a hefty bill and the loss of the matching numbers premise.

Most folks don’t want to risk it and imvho, rightly so, so they end up replacing them much earlier than the item was actually designed to withstand. Not that the material can’t take a beating, so I think it’s not a matter pertaining to the items per se or how long they’ll last or how much punishment they can take, but more of a reflection of an owner’s zeal or risk exposure personality times 1.000, and you have a widespread fear of timing belts.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

ttforcefed likes this.
  21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    ttforcefed likes this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

23. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Also good for keeping termites away.

When I was a kid, my dad used to pour used motor oil around his shed to keep termites away. Fast forward to when I was in law school - I was renting a basement apartment from an old man. One day, I changed the oil in an old diesel Mercedes I was driving. I asked him where I could take the oil. He said to just pour it around his house to help keep the termites away. Lol.

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And I'm sure that's endorsed by the EPA. :D

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    isnt it Ferrari that recommends the change interval? If so, there’s your answer.