V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 4 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Cirorsi and Crowndog like this.
  2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    They look great Mark! I’d like something a bit deeper with the low offset from deeper spokes and not a deep mounting section. Not easy to find a deep forged blank.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks.
    My biggest issue in getting a nice center "drop" was the stupid 430 rotors and calipers I added. The wheels only clear the inside corner of the caliper by a few mm then turn in, but with that point fixed there wasn't a lot I could do with the turn in to a drop without it starting to look a bit...well wrong. The OEM wheels have a very smooth curve and dropping in too fast really seemed to upset the look so I when as aggressive as I thought I could but but still ended up with a lot of whats effectively a spacer on the back.....but the brakes fit so that's something.

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I still just find it remarkable that someone can conceive and design an idea in a virtual format, transmit that design to someone else half way around the world who can use the design to build the physical thing and all in just a few short days.

Crowndog likes this.
  5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    You can get it done in a few days locally but for a lot more cash. My quote in the UK for some Vitaloni door mirror brackets was the same as the cost of 7 from China!

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    it is amazing how small the world can be but then how fast it become big again. I just got a shipping update. Its 3 days factory to port, into a container for the next ship, then 25-30 days but Im not sure if that includes US port to me. 5-6 weeks I guess total. The wheel will be leaving port on Wed 8/14 so mid Sept. to me. So it will take longer to ship them than it did to design and make them :)

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    And of course no driving at the moment...but every set forward is a good step. the engine should be going back together in 3-4 weeks, then I think I'm going to setup the dyno and test everything before it goes back in the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 milano and G. Pepper like this.
  9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    derekw, G. Pepper and Cirorsi like this.
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Oooo Oooo Oooo!!

FANTASTIC!

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #86 mk e, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Thanks!
    Thanks!

Here's one the car. The center caps fit nice which is great. There is no rear on the car because they used the front bore so it doesn't fit, I'll need to correct that. I remember you pointed out the error in the china drawing and they said they'd fixed it...nope.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    looks awesome

Crowndog likes this.
  13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  14. reggazz.stevenson@gmail

Sep 15, 2017
    cedar creek austin texas
    Full Name:
    regis bragg stevenson
    mk e,,,long time no see,,,Thank You Moderators for opening this thread

15. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Very nice Mark, that color looks good too.

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks. Over-all I'm pretty happy with the result. A couple little thing like they ignored my 67mm rear hub dimension and made all 4 at the front 58mm bore size so I had to fix the rears, but they fit fine now. The valve stem holes are setup up fine for a rubber stem but had spec'd dimension to also work with most metal stems...so my metal stems won't fit. I'll fix that next but don't have the right tool, it will be here in a couple days.

Those are pretty normal prototype kinds of issues so I'm happy. If anyone wants a set of these or something similar let me know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    They look great Mark but will the rear tyres be inside the fenders? I just paid for the design work for some coffin spoke 17” wheels but if the renderings look crap I’d like some 17x8 ET11, 17x9 ET15. If Brexit happens (which it won’t) I’ll be outside the EU dumping duties on wheels :)

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    They should fit inside the fenders but that is always part of checking. The 550 wheel were 10.5" with ET 32, theses are 10.0" width ET 32, so these are moved in by 0.250" vs those thinking the 285 was pretty tight on the outside and I'd need a little more to fit a 295...but I also have plenty of meat ion the hub to add more offset if needed which will move the wheel in more.

The fronts are 8.5" with ET 15mm...pretty much exactly what I had with the 550 wheels with the spacer. Again the is PLENTY of material to increase offset if needed. With the old setup the 225s fit, a set of 235 slicks I had rubbed so they were right at the limit.

I know how much you want coffin spoke wheels so I hope I don't end up selling you anything :) The other guy asking about those same sizes wanted a more OEM look ...on mine I remover 1 step/ring which makes them look more modern and open as well as saving about 3lb per wheel. but that means less original looking. They can be done either way though.

19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Had to make a little change to the valve stem hole to fit the stems I wanted. The way I did the design there wasn't room for the stem in the stock location so its between the spoke pointing in....which can be a problem as the valve trying to open at high speed due to centrifugal force. Motorcyles have the same issue and they make cool and very light 90 degree stems...perfect.

Still waiting on bolts I ordered from Hill Engineering, 360+25mm front, 360+20mm rear before I can install these. I didn't want to order bolts before the wheels were in hand and I could measure. The brakes meant everything need to move out, but I didn't want to sink the bolts as that would change the look....so longer bolts needed. Almost there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'll share this too. The bellhousing I bought to let me mount the dyno brake to the engine arrived and looks right.....well.....nothing about a GM bellhousing on a ferrari engine look right, it looks quite wrong, but it does look like it will let me mount the dyno so thats good I guess. Doesn't help most 308 guys but for those of use with a proper engine in their cars its perfect :)

The dyno is older and came with everything to mount to older GM and Ford engines...the pre '86 GM bellhousing means it bolts right on, the 400iA trans adapter worked perfect.

The dyno also has a "clutch shaft" type adapter designed to plug into a GM clutch. I found a little racing no clutch needed part for $60 that fits the dyno shaft and I'm sure I can get bolted to my flywheel pretty easily....just need a running engine now.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Crowndog likes this.
  21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Tires on, waiting on bolts
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Crowndog and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The wheels look really nice and imho much more of a “proper” look for these cars be it V8 or V12. Very well done project.

308 milano likes this.
  23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks. I can't wait for the wheel bolts to get here (UPS says today) so I can set it down for a proper look...its got the rally car look going on up on the jacks, plus I want to confirm I got the offsets right for fender clearance....I tried to err on the metal safe side so they should be sticking too far out if anything because I'd way rather need to cut a little off the mounting face than need to add spacers.

Crowndog likes this.
  24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Reg, you getting close to running? I think you've been down as long as I have.

I started this a couple years after my oldest was born so he's never seen the car drive, he's 12 now.

A few years ago the 4 or use were driving and I saw...a 430 I think behind us and I said "look, there's a ferrari behind us!"

The kids looked. turned back and I could see the older was thinking..."Dad, are ferraris supposed to drive on the road?"

me - "of course, thats what they are made for! they also make race cars but most are for the road and wonderful to drive"

Son - "oh....confused pause.....Is your ferrari supposed to drive?"

me - sigh.....yeah, it is........