Mercedes to stay in F1 up to 2025 ? | FerrariChat

Mercedes to stay in F1 up to 2025 ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Sep 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Signs are that Mercedes intends to stay in F1 up to 2025, at least as engine supplier.

Williams Racing has agreed to five-year extension of its powertrain supply agreement with Mercedes, taking the partnership to 2025.

Source Motorsport

Williams initially joined forces with the Stuttgart manufacturer in 2014, at the start of the hybrid era, with a seven-year deal that took it to the end of the current Concorde Agreement.

The new deal extends five years into the post-2021 era, and as such is a clear show of faith in the future direction of the sport from both parties. Williams will continue to make its own gearbox rather than join Racing Point in taking a supply from Mercedes.

Williams has always enjoyed a good relationship with its current supplier, in part because Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was previously a shareholder in and director of the Grove team.

That was reflected in the way the Brackley outfit was able to conclude a deal to take Valtteri Bottas after Nico Rosberg’s sudden retirement at the end of 2016.

"We have enjoyed a wonderful partnership with Mercedes-Benz over the past six years of what was originally a seven-year agreement, and so we are delighted to be continuing working with them for a further five years from 2021," said deputy team principal Claire Williams.

"Mercedes-Benz has been one of the sport's most successful engine suppliers and we believe that they will continue to have an extremely competitive engine package going forwards. Over our time with them they have become a real friend of the team, and we look forward to working with Mercedes-AMG HPP in future."

"Williams is one of the iconic brands in F1 and we at Mercedes are proud to count them as part of our motorsport family," said Wolff. "They have been through some tough times recently but that has only served to demonstrate their resilience and strength of character as they battle back to where they belong on the grid.

"I am certain that the outlook for independent teams is bright under the financial regulations that will be introduced from 2021 and we are delighted to continue our partnership with Williams into that new era of our sport."

Mercedes HPP engine chief Andy Cowell noted: "Williams has been an exemplary partner since we began working together ahead of the 2014 season and we have enjoyed a number of highlights during those years.

"We have built strong human and technical relationships to the team in Grove and very much look forward to building on them in the years ahead."

2. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I've heard rumours of some internal shakeups in Brackley. Perhaps results at Hockenheim and Ferrari winning the last two isn't going over well despite leading the WDC and WCC points standings.

Anyone hear anything similar?

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It would be fun if they pulled out of F1 as a works team, concentrating on supplying engines, and thus making Elton redundant. Since all the top teams are full, and don’t want nor need him, he could go to force India or Williams, maybe. Then he could show us all what a great star he is by dragging the Williams to wins and a championship finish that astonishes everyone. Maybe then I might consider buying into the ******** written about the tool on this site by so many of his fanbois

stavura, Nortonious and fil like this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I see Hamilton retiring from F1 in a Mercedes and will not switch to another team.

MB leaving as a factory team and remaining as an engine supplier would not be a surprise at all.

william, kylec, furoni and 1 other person like this.
  5. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    if Mercedes were to quit Ferrari would offer Hamilton a seat so fast it would make your head spin lol!

6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    No chance, did you not listen to your own Demi god that ferrari has never had ANY interest in him? They have LeClerc as a prospect, they don’t want the poncy prat.

stavura and fil like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There are clauses in every contract that allow a driver to be sacked without cause--for a price.
    Lewis will have no trouble finding a drive if Merc leaves.

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If Merc ends their F1 team in 2025, Ham will have retired prior to that. He'll probably be doing some clothing line, or heaven forbid, singing.

stavura and G. Pepper like this.
  9. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Who cares what MB does , what I find way more interesting it that Williams obviously believe they will have enough staying power to be around till 2025 and MB must believe it too , there goes pretty much most of the speculation that Williams is about to go tits up soon

kylec likes this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    DJ.

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I imagine there's language in the contract that addresses such a possibility. MBz are always going to protect themselves and aren't just going to trust Frank's handshake and verbal assurances that the team will still be around in five years.

william likes this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

That would be fun - following Charles around the circuit ;)

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #13 WPOZZZ, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    I want to thank all my fans for coming to this party. Maranello, you're the best!

stavura, Jack-the-lad and Nortonious like this.
  14. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I thought DJs had to have a personality .... where is Elton going to get one of those before he retires? Have you seen how boring the guy is when he drones on about his struggles and gangsta history on the mean streets of Stevenage, hardly south central LA or the Philly projects he pretends it was.... closest he got to being in a gang was cub scouts hehehe

fil likes this.
  15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Name recognition and celeb friends. He'll have guest DJs join him. Welcome, DJ Spin (Vettel), DJ Crash (Max), DJ Smiley and DJ Ice.

daytona355 likes this.
  16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hehehehe.... he will be able to get a guest set with his good friend Bieber! Oh my, I can barely wait!

Nah, I don’t think his idea of music will be my kinda thing, it’ll be music to moan too, and not in a good way, rather than music to encourage bad ideas and decisions, which is what I need!