Noob Maintenance Questions | FerrariChat

Noob Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SpeedyOmega, Aug 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi everyone!

I read this forum a lot and you guys honestly know so much it blows my mind. It's really hard for me to find CORRECT answers on car things because there's so much advice thrown around on the internet-- so I'm hoping you can assist with your expertise.

1 - what's the best way to keep all those black rubber parts from drying out? (around the windows and doors). I've heard that isn't rubber and so any oil products are actually bad for it. Haven't found a Certified Expert Answer™ yet, tho. I really want to keep that stuff looking fresh!

2 - my car is new to me and I expect to store it in a garage for extended periods of time between use (especially winter). Should I disconnect the battery leads? Is a battery tender the right move? I'm a bit worried about electricity in my garage (it's very old), but should be fine.

3 - I get anxiety attacks when I send the car to get detailed. What are the BEST products to use so I can do it myself? (soap, wax, buffer, whatever else you use). Do I need to tape off all the black parts and lights?

4 - for the winter, I am afraid of mice. How is there not a product that's like a car cover for the bottom that you drive on and tie the corners together? Should I go on Shark Tank, or is there one out there I don't know about?

Thank you all!!! (I know some of these questions get asked, but I've been through so many forum threads and these are still ones I think I need real authority to weigh in on.)

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes! I had heard about this a long time ago but couldn't remember the name. Okay great that's super helpful to know thank you!

Qavion likes this.
  4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Q2 - unless you tell us what the car is the answer may vary - newer cars always tender - older cars easier to turn off

5. SpeedyOmega

SpeedyOmega Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave
    *adjusts fake moustache*

okay look, hear me out. It's a 1995 Nissan 300ZX. BUT! I have no good user community. It's all teenagers with Autozone bodykits and bolt-on turbos. My car is PERFECT, it is 100% stock, everything works. Last owner had it a few miles from one of the best Z shops in the country so that was easy for him, but I am more isolated. I need to know what the top-of-the-line people (you guys) do. Don't kick me out! I joined because I want to get a 308GTB also, but need to get my knowledge base higher first.

6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yo Ω!
    Dude you're worried that electricity but a car with a tank of gasoline is ok?

Anyways, my mice issue (and it was really bad) was solved with sealing the openings in the garage using the expandable foam you buy in a can and sealing every crack (especially the ones at ground level). Good luck.

7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    19633500GT likes this.
  8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
  9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
  10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    So, do you have a Ferrari or not? If this is all about the Datsun....... just leave it outside, it will be fine.

If you do get a Ferrari, it's just a used car. Do what you would do when buying any car. Due diligence. You said you want a 308, but you are in the 360 section. Talk to the 308 guys. They will give you specifics on that car.

Cleaning a car. Seriously? Surely you know how to clean a car at this point in your life. Ferraris won't melt.

The mice thing. I think there is something called a Carcoon that has a floor.

11. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mid '90s 300ZX, Pretty Car. Club where I attempt to play golf, member has a pristine red turbo.

Mice. Based on my vast experience battling mice here in the "country". Nothing beats Victor Original Traps. Bait with peanut butter. Check on a regular schedule.

12. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I use mothballs and bounce dryer sheets in my boat when it goes in a barn in the country for the winter

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Layered defense would be recommended. Add some baited traps as well.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Took me years of living on the woods in New England to come to the same conclusion. You must be diligent in the fall. Check them every day or 2. I put them all over the garage and around the car. Unless you have empty baited and loaded traps on the floor for a week or 2 you aren’t over the problem yet. And you need to keep checking and rearming traps.

Also get them early before they reproduce and then the fun really begins.

Hate mothballs, my daughters tell me makes the car smells like an old person. Dryer sheets and mothball keeps them out of that particular area, but they just go elsewhere where you didn’t put the stuff like under the engine bay covers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

f355spider likes this.
  15. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    1/ Mopar makes a product called weatherstrip lubricant, it is a silicon based flourinated lubricant, 1 oz for over $100 if you want something more economical just use a silicon based grease, usually sold as a brake lubricant (brake rubber parts are similar material) just wipe on and wipe off it will absorb into the neoprene moulding and prevent it from sticking to the glass or the body

2/ Ferrari usually have a battery disconnect under the hood - always disconnect that when storing , a battery minder is a good idea also it only sends a small trickle charge to keep the battery up it will not overheat the battery. A 2 or 10 amp charger could damage the battery after extended periods a dead battery can freeze and that is damaging it could also sulfate which is also damaging, a battery minder prevents all that. An automatic charger will also not damage a battery because it monitors itself ( a good electronic one)

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Strangely, the OP hasn't been back since Post # 5 on Aug 31 of this year. And his question was for a car other than a Ferrari.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    Only Ferrari's get mice and dead batteries? These are common issues for any car in storage. Other people actually read these posts like me and you.

BOKE likes this.
  18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was hoping that he would contribute more. At least add a photo of his '95 300zx. I always liked those and they've aged really well.

Interesting about the weatherstrip lubricant. Makes sense. Years ago I used pure glycerine for the rubber headlight trim (molded surround) on the TR-8 I had. It worked well.

19. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    They were a really nice car. Like he said he was learning how to take care of his future Ferrari, maybe he'll be back when he gets it. I use silicon based lubricants a lot for applications that don't involve oil. It doesn't degrade rubber or neoprene. After reading this thread I noticed an article at one of those natural household solution sites that said to repel mice you cut irish spring soap into chunks and spread them around, apparently they can't stand the smell of it. I wonder if that works well for a car. A lot of Ferrari's already smell like that from the driver.

BOKE likes this.
  20. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Dave, you are welcome here- it is safe.
    Besides, we like anybody who likes 308's ... :D

BOKE likes this.
  21. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you have a GTS rub it on the rubber top seal and rubber pins and latches. You can thank me later.

BOKE and f355spider like this.
  24. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Next time Im in TX, I plan on 'dropping by.'

:)

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For door/window (rubber) seal preservation.