512BB wheel paint color? | FerrariChat

512BB wheel paint color?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by atheyg, Oct 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Anyone know the color for 512BB wheels?

After I get my car back from the paint shop I am going to have the wheels repainted, what's on there now appears to be a dull grey/silver finish, newer wheels such as on my 328 have a metallic silver with a clear coat which is much different.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Call Bo Pirkle at 770.939.6982. He can give you the exact Glasurit paint code# for the wheels. He has been refinishing Ferrari wheels for decades. He refinished the wheels on my Boxer a year or so ago and I do recall that they are not clear-coated. You can get the emblems/stickers to put on the wheels after you refinish them at www.italiancarparts.com

3. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Thanks Frank I'll give him a call.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    original the color has been silver

I just do a major on my BB and like to get the wheels gold like the racing cars had..
    does soemone knows the color code?

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have always used "Ferrari Argento Nürburgring" Code: 101C-111 (Metallic Silver). Perfect match in my opinion. Appears quite light when newly applied, but will darken over time as have your old rims. Remember to prime the rims according to procedures for either aluminum (Etch primer) or Magnesium (Zinc chromat or similar type). I just painted my bbi rims and they are Magnesium. Zinc chromate primer can't be bought in my part of the world anymore, so I apply a Mipa etching wash primer as alternative. This have worked great on my 308 rims that I painted 8 years ago.
    Best regards

Peter

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you use a 1 or 2 compound primer?

I think forbidden now in complete europe?

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The washprimer is a 2K product with etching and passivating properties. I follow the etch primer with a filler (wet in wet) that I let dry and sand to the wanted surface properties. I like the casting to be a bit rough on the spokes and nice and fine on the outer circumference of the rim. Hereafter the base color is added and immediately followed by a few layers of top coat lack. The zinc chromate might be forbidden in entire Europe now and the states I think as well.

Best

Peter

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I not want to paint the rims, like to powdercoat them. but don´t know if the 2k primer would be ok when the powder will get heated to 180 °C?

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    What is aircraft restoration using now?

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good question david
    just sent a mail to my ex girl friend, she is working as aircraft technician. hope she will answer ;)

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Mostly Dow systems/products. This is a comprehensive fluid system that is used by professionals only. Expensive and troublesome chemicals that shall be handled with care. Never seen any rims treated this way, but it could be interesting if someone went that route. The cam covers on my Dino are made from Magnesium and is treated with a Dow type system only. The treatment is still intact here after 50 years.

Best

Peter