FERRARI 288 GTO | Page 526 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 288 GTO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That Modena plate MO79978 is fantastic. It's a plate (or at least, the original one) done in August 1962.

I took a ton of picture of that plate: owning a GTO with the original Modena plate is my dream.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great photos. Thanks for posting. #3445GT is my favourite 250 GTO!

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #13129 bert308, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    I came across these 1984 factory images that I had never seen before.
    Interesting comment on the cars under the "umbrella": "Waiting for parts.....there was a shortage of certain parts for the GTOs and many cars had to be stored under canopies until they arrived and we're fitted before delivery"
    Copyright unknown, source www.facebook.com/Dominique13270/posts/995728307264006 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Ak3, tomgt and 3 others like this.
  5. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Acacg and NürScud like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #13132 Marcel Massini, Sep 14, 2019
    bert308, bernardo66 and joe sackey like this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #13133 Marcel Massini, Sep 14, 2019
    bert308, bernardo66 and joe sackey like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Amazing pics

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    London - 56775 belongs to long-term owner Mishal R. Al-Sabah ergo the MRA 1 plate.

bernardo66 likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    With its third UK owner, used to have another plate before.

Marcel Massini

bernardo66 and joe sackey like this.
  12. Acacg

Acacg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2013
    Dallas Texas
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I wonder of the neat rows of cars under the canopy are simply completed cars awaiting delivery?

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #13141 Albert-LP, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    I know of Pat Lobb car, from Texas: nice, very nice. I have put two pages with some pictures of his 288GTO prototype-preproduction engine and gearbox (those are 100% genuine Ferrari factory precious parts) on my book about Ferrari Turbo eight cylinders, so I already saw (some of) those very nice pictures.

Yes, that car hasn't the chassis number and this will be always a very (VERY) big problem for that "assembly", that cannot be solved by anyone. But it looks made by original parts, made by Ferrari or by its official suppliers. So the car in the worst case will be an assembly of original parts. In my opinion (and this is just an opinion, I never saw it nor I can prove that nor anybody could do) that car could have been a chassis to be scrapped (and so with the VIN plate removed) but that wasn't scrapped. Once Ferrari scrapped many things, for example crashed test cars, mules, test engines and so on. Sometimes it happened (many years ago) that who had to take them to the scrapyard "forgot" to do that and the item was "temporarily parked" at his home…

Now Ferrari has a much more severe control of waste items, so this doesn't happen anymore (I think...)

This said, Mr Lobb asked my help to complete that car with original Ferrari parts: I'm always available to help anybody that is a Ferrari enthusiast, but I warned Mr. Lobb that his car won't ever have the value of a 288 GTO, nor will be close to.

Talking as a technician and a Ferrari historian: that's only an assembly of 288 GTO parts, even if with some parts very precious like the #003 prototype engine and the #001 gearbox prototype.

Talking as an enthusiast : in my opinion (O-P-I-N-I-O-N) the chassis of that car comes from a scrapped (but saved instead of scrapping) crashed 288 GTO prototype/early test car, as there are too many things that LOOK to have been produced here in Modena many years ago. Unfortunately, this being true or not, it will remain a without Ferrari VIN car, VIN that (maybe) was moved on another car by Ferrari itself. Or maybe not, who knows.

But I like this project, whatever it is.

ciao

Page and pictures ©: Alberto Mantovani (under Pat Lobb license)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  15. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I am guessing that the body has been taken from a replica that was originally assembled by Bob Norwood, he purchased the panels back in the day direct from Ferrari, they came off a prototype 288 hence the indent for the licence plate. The replica inc that style body was for sale on here a couple of years ago. I think the chassis of that car was a mix of 328 and 348, I doubt its using that chassis now though. Only the body appeared original 288.

My assumption is that Pat Lobb was the buyer in order to put the panels together with the original 288 mechanicals he also probably owned and construct this toolroom type copy.

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Maybe you are right, I think all you wrote is possible. Even if you aren't right, that car will forever be a private assembly and no more, won't ever be a Ferrari produced car, we all know this. I agree about the body panels. I already wrote all I knew, so I will seat here and read and learn what others will write: what came (and will come) from Italy are just original spare parts for a 288 GTO (or come from 288 GTO prototypes). I have no idea if the chassis is an home made in the basement.

Ciao

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Just curious, have you seen Ferrari SpA documentation supporting the engine & gearbox's claimed prototype status?

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lobb contacted me almost two years ago.
    Some photos.
    It may be an assemblage of some parts but certainly this is NOT an original and complete factory built 288 GTO and it has zero chassis number and also no body number.
    At the time I strongly recommended that he brings his stuff to Ferrari Classiche in Maranello where they will tell him what he has and what not. I understand he did not want to do that.

Marcel Massini

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I have and those numbers are not on that documentation.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and joe sackey like this.
  20. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #13147 PAUL500, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    of2worlds and Albert-LP like this.
  21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Here in Italy you can be prosecuted if you post without permission anything about your customers: it's called "EU Privacy rulement" and means you cannot post nor talk about what anybody asked or shipped you as you are a professional consultant or a firm and so on. I have no idea how it works in Swiss.
    So I won't write here what Mr. Lobb wants to do with Ferrari Classiche even if he wrote me that three times already and sent me a lot of pictures: privacy is privacy.

With the word "prototype" I mean something that differs from the standard production: maybe you call them "pre-production" or "early production" or "test production" instead of "prototypes": I won't be offended at all if you want to call them in a different way.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Mr Mantovani

To keep the facts straight: Please be informed that this man is neither a client nor a customer of mine nor did he ship anything to me.

Marcel Massini

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #13150 Albert-LP, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Mr Massini, EU Privacy rules applies from the moment you receive something from another person, customer, friend, wife, son or whoever he is. It's not necessary he pays you nor anything else. EU Privacy laws protect personal data and info, nor only customers: I think it would be useful reading and knowing it, just to avoid any problem.

Have a nice day.

ciao