3X8 warning light bezels. Modification to make them easily removable? | FerrariChat

3X8 warning light bezels. Modification to make them easily removable?

Discussion in '308/328' started by cheesypeas, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    After much frustration and "tool building" I have managed to extract my warning lights so that I can get to the instrument panel screws.

I believe that the bezels are impossible to remove without damaging the tabs. You either end up by braking their pivot point or scraping their backs against the aluminium instrument panel.

I tried the dental floss trick but this only helped with one of the bezels. It already had both tabs broken.

I had to make a special tool to lever out the other three. Yuck. (I will post pictures and details later)

Two of the remaining bezels had one tab broken. The last had both tabs intact.

Before I put new bezels in. Is there anyway of modifying the bezels to make them easier to remove in future? I don't want to go through this horror show again. :mad:

2. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    There are aftermarket light bezels made by Herb Magister from more flexible plastic that can go in and out without the tabs breaking. I think Herb is on fchat so he may see this. If not PM me and I can give you his details.

I wrote up him bezels here:

http://308restoration.com/2014/06/replacement-bezels/

Regards
    David

cheesypeas likes this.
  3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Yes. I have several of these new bezels. They are very well made but I think will suffer from the same difficulty when removing. I was wondering if there was a modification that would make them easier to remove like....

1) filing down the size of the tabs
    2) filing a flat underneath to allow something to get under to lever them off

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I have a pair of angle nose pliers that I pull out the circle lens and the with a straight pick push the interior light socket out. The screws are then accessed without removing the bezel. Just saying......

cheesypeas likes this.
  5. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Put a very thin o ring on the bezel....on the body right behind the “collar”. It does two things. It is easier to remove because now there is a space between the metal and the plastic. And secondly, it prevents the lock tabs from fully engaging, but they still hold the bezel in place.

cheesypeas likes this.
  6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    just use dental floss. Wrap it around the bezel a few times. Pulls out without any issue, or damage.

cheesypeas likes this.
  7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    This is a good idea.

8. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    I had originally rejected this idea because it would prevent the lock tabs from fully engaging.

But as you point out that's an advantage! :)

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    And this worked - but only where both tabs on the bezel had already broken. For that bezel it was easy however the other 3 bezels still had at least one undamaged tab which was fully extended and solid. I will try to remember to take some pictures to show this.

Thanks for your reply. :)

10. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Hi I am the one making the bezels the best way to get them out very easy is to break the sharp corner on the holes inside of the panel with a counter sink tool you can do this by hand the panel is very soft,this way the angle of the bezel will not dig in when you pull,i did that on my panel and there is no damage after many removals.you can not change the bezel angle that surface is under load when in so the bezel will not rattle or fall out.

cheesypeas likes this.
  11. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Excellent.

I am also thinking of relieving a small amount behind collar on the edge so it’s easier to slide something between the bezel and the panel next time.

For now I’m going to use the grommet method because I’m running out of time and am going to open it up again soon.

12. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Karting

May 28, 2008
    england
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Break the tabs off and use a rap of electrician's tape to snug each idiot light in its hole.

All Problems Solved.

[DON'T do that to your OEM bezels.]