Hard to shift when warm | FerrariChat

Hard to shift when warm

Discussion in '308/328' started by Chrill, Sep 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    So I have the opposite problem with my 308 than most others, really nice to shift at all gears, even 2nd gear, when cold but when the engine gets warm it is a lot harder to shift at all gears. I have new bushings and o-rings and use Redline 75W-90ns, and really done my best to adjusting the shift fork in the box, before it was hard to shift when hot or cold so big improvement but not good enough.
    Any suggestions on what the problem could be.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What year/model 308? Is the clutch properly adjusted and releasing well? I.e., if you start the car on level ground when warm with the gearbox in 1st gear, the clutch pedal depressed, and no brakes applied, does the car lurch forward when the starter motor engages?

derekw likes this.
  3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I agree with Steve. Clutch isn’t releasing fully. At low temp the more viscous gear oil may be helping the synchros to match the shaft speeds but at high temp with less viscosity the oil can’t help as much.

4. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Thanks for the quick response. It’s a -85 QV, the clutch is new and I have adjusted it just like the service book says, and it feels perfekt. I thought it may be the cynhcro rings or some of the bearings but the car just have 30 000miles or 50 000km on the odo. The new x-O-rings feels a bit tight and is stopping the gear lever to center, maybe that causing it but than it shouldn’t be so smooth when cold.

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    It's probably the new clutch. Try Steve's suggested test-- on the flat, clutch in, into first, brake off, see if it moves. Might just need to adjust the cable (a bit tighter)

Chrill likes this.
  6. Chrill

Chrill Karting

May 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Christian P Galle
    Yeah thanks I’ll try that first, hope its that simple.
    Don’t know if there’s any other oil that I can try otherwise, maybe a little thicker oil, sense it is much easier to shift when cold = thicker oil? just a thought.

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    That oil is fine-- most likely adjustment or installation or parts wrong in the clutch.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    OK when cold, bad when hot doesn't jive with clutch drag.

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Pressure plate fingers are stiffer when cold so if actuation is at the margin they will flex more when hot and not lift as much.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #10 johnk..., Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    And by the same argument the clamping force would be less so you have a more flexible finger working against a weaker clamping force and it's a wash.

It would have to be very marginal and it could go either way. That is, when hot the weaker clamping force could result in less finger flex.

11. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I would be checking the input shaft/spigot bearing. This is more prone to behave badly when warm and will simulate a dragging/non disengaging clutch plate

derekw likes this.
  12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    John, I once had a refurbished pressure plate in my GT6 that wouldn't release properly right out of the box. I compared it with the old one and no difference except the fingers were noticeably softer. My thinking is that the ends of the fingers are more affected by loss of stiffness due to their thinness.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Installed X o rings this past spring. It took about 1000 miles for them to fully loosen up.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Possible, but I'm just going by what the OP said: Was bad hot or cold; did work; clutch adjusted according to manual; now ok cold but still bad hot.

That is was bad before he did the clutch is why I'm not thinking clutch drag. I accept that the OP knows how to adjust the clutch.