Loose wire near steering column | FerrariChat

Loose wire near steering column

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Cadillacbart, Sep 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I found myself under the dash if my 1988 Mondial today chasing down a noise that developed out of nowhere toward the end of a 200 mile drive (a scraping noise while turning the steering wheel).
    While investigating, I found this disconnected wire in the pic. Everything on my car is working as designed, so I don’t know what it might be for?
    It’s not hot (12v)with key off nor in run position.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the wiring diagram your wire is colour coded BR. This runs between terminal 3 on a coil pack to terminal 10 on the 25 way connector for the ignition module.
    Look alongside your white/ red wire for a GR wire, yellow with red stripe- this is the wire for the other coil pack and runs from ter 3 on coil to ter 15 on the 25 way connector for ignition module.
    ie a mirror image. Also it maybe some one has run a replacement wire and left old one in place as car runs ok i take it. Dont think a coil would work without it.

3. Willie1234

Willie1234 Rookie

Jul 18, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Wim
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    AR (light blue-red) is a wire color historically used for the "key left in ignition switch" switch that runs a buzzer on US version F of that era -- is yours working (i.e., after switching the engine off, if you leave the key in the ignition switch and open the Driver door, does the buzzer sound)?

5. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    #5 Cadillacbart, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Steve,
    That’s not it ( I had to go check, thought you had nailed it). The tone still sounds if I leave the key in and open the door.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the US version 1988 Mondial 3.2 wiring diagram so can't offer any other suggestions for an AR wire in that area.

7. Cadillacbart

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks all.
    Heads down with work for a few days. Will look into it more when I have time and report back.