Problems with Cali 2011-Need your help | FerrariChat

Problems with Cali 2011-Need your help

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Awadbs, Sep 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Awadbs

Awadbs Rookie

Sep 15, 2019
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Awad Baswedan
    Hello everyone,
    a Porsche guy since 2004 and I just got my first Ferrari California 2011 with 11k miles on it.
    I am facing some issues and I would like to know if these a common issues, if someone can help I would really appreciate it. I don’t want to start with the our local F dealer i need my hands to get dirty:)

- When the car in idle (N) I feel an extra vibration. And the RPM will be around 700/800.

-creaking noice from the hood. Seems like a piece of metal lose.

- The AC air distribution button is not working in both sides!

Your help is highly appreciated!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Those don't sound normal. I'd get it back to dealer you bought it from asap...T

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    While I appreciate your interest in getting hands-on with your first Ferrari you should not try to play with an expensive used car you just bought.

If you just took delivery of a used car and you find issues or unexpected behaviour you definitely do not want to touch the car and risk the seller claim that you did something wrong. You might record the noise and take a video showing the rough idle, the tach. If you place a cup of water on the dash, the water ripples in the cup might be able to document the extra or intermittent vibration.

If you just want to understand the issues that’s fine but don’t touch the car. Leave that to the seller. You should always immediately report problems if you would like the issues, if they exist, to be handled by the seller. The issues you report are obviously not normal.

Chizz and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Awad,

First of all, congrats on your California! Enjoy in good health!

What I’d say may be one of the culprits through experience, although I’m light years away from being any kind of expert in mechanical issues:

1) Engine mount(s) may need replacement.

2) An auxiliary belt may be approaching the end of its life expectancy.

3) Most likely you’ll need new buttons/panel and check wiring.

All simple and frequent interventions. Nonetheless, I wholeheartedly agree with every suggestion and advice Michael and Tom have put forward.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It is a coincidence but another person also just reported his newly purchased used Cali is not running properly, apparently using a lot of gas. That to me is a sign of an engine management problem, possibly due to lack of routine service.

Your car is slightly newer and apparently with lower mileage... however...if the previous owner was cheap and dishonest he could have skipped the annual service... and some unscrupulous people also turn back odometers of used cars.

Your car’s odometer may not be showing the true mileage.

Did you obtain or check the complete service records for your car? Make sure the recorded odometer readings look correct on the paperwork.

I don’t know if you are describing the noise accurately but a loose metal sound, especially a clunking noise from somewhere behind or under the foot well of the passenger compartment is indicative of a broken catalytic converter. The car will also idle and run rough. If that’s the case with your car stop driving it until you have that investigated.

FWIW, humanity has within it a large number of unscrupulous people, with no conscience. Many of those people also handle a lot of money because they rip people off. They also like to own nice things and then skip town when they anticipate having to own up to their own vices, like neglecting service or overdue bank loan or mortgage payments.

Chizz likes this.
  6. Bravo68

Bravo68 Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    DFW, Texas

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Bravo68

Bravo68 Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    DFW, Texas

8. Bravo68

Bravo68 Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    DFW, Texas
    I recently had my 2012 Cali checked at the local Ferrari dealership for the low idle and vibration. I was told that 750-800 rpm was normal for this model year.
    Same for the vibration.

9. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Bravo68,

I gather DFW in the summertime can get quite hot at times, nearly 100 Fahrenheit. Given that cars in general suffer more with the heat than the cold, How does your Cali operate in that kind of heat? Any issues at all?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi Nuno!

I'm also in DFW, and I've had no problems with my 2011 Cali in our summer heat. If I had to hazard a guess, the car seems to be "happier" when the weather is cooler, that may be more psychological than physical. I do my best to go for drives in the early morning before it gets too hot.

T

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you very much for your feedback, Tom. I appreciate it.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

tomc likes this.
  12. Bravo68

Bravo68 Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    DFW, Texas
    I’ve only had the car for about six weeks, so far I haven’t had any issues with driving in hot weather. The only thing I’ve noticed is that the RPMs are higher, at idle, with the A/C cranked up. 750 RPM with the A/C off and 1000 RPM with it on.

Regards

Bob

AlfistaPortoghese and tomc like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is pretty normal, especially if your battery is the original Ferrari battery. They are not very good from the get-go, and over the years, they get worse. That AC does take some power to run.