456 Front Bonnet Gas Struts | FerrariChat

456 Front Bonnet Gas Struts

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by FlyingHaggisRacing, Sep 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Would anyone know the "lbs" rating of the gas struts that hold the front bonnet up ?

Has anyone used the struts from "Lifts Support Depot" on Amazon as a supplier of struts ?

2. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just bought the gas struts for my 550 from Ricambi. I see that Ricambi appears to have struts for the 456, too. I didn't even shop around, but I'm wondering how much less than about $40 per side can be saved using an alternate source?

The struts took about 1 minute per side to change.

3. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Be careful. There are two different ratings, based on the production date. I got the wrong ones at first (1995).

4. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Without doubt Ricambi is an excellent choice.

But I'm in China, and there is a shop that sells gas struts not far away.
    So if i knew the 'lbs' or 'N' i'd try one.

5. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

How does it differ? Length? Strenght?

I replace mine, the old ones did not hold the bonnet up, but the new ones are bit tough to close. No other problem than that I just need to push the Ferrari emblem as I close the bonnet to latch it securely. Being a Jag-man as well I am quite used to giving the bonnet a firm but delicate push to make it go all the way. :)

6. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

Strength. A good new pair should give you quite a bit of resistance when closing, so it sounds like you have the right ones.

Attached is a picture of the marking on the wrong (weaker) ones. Not sure if it helps in any way.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  7. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Apparently, somewhere in 1995 they changed the laminate schedule of the 456 bonnet and with it the weight. They issued other (weaker) struts accordingly.
    I've got 2 bonnets here, one from 1995 and one from 1996 and there is a distinct weight difference between them while both look exactly similar.

JimEakin and tantumaude like this.
  8. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

That's interesting. It might be good for all to know this, is it not documented anywhere in the spare parts catalogue? (I've got one, so I can of course try to find it in there), my car is build nr. # 18683.

The bonnet does have a Pininfarina nr. # as well on the inside, maybe I will go and see what it is, just for documentation.

Cheers!

9. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Fascinating. Which one is lighter?

10. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The 1996 one is lighter.

11. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Good photo.
    I would have guessed something in the range of 300-350N

12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hi,

So if that’s wrong, then I hope this is right. :) 350N instead of 280N.

Also my bonnet is marked ”F.116” and ”A/R 1009”. I do not know if it’s the lighter or heavier one or earlier or later, but I would like to know. (But it did well in a deer crash this Sunday! Not any damage to the bonnet or front of the car. The deer died however) :(

Cheers!

13. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    But it did well in a deer crash this Sunday! Not any damage to the bonnet or front of the car. The deer died however) :(

I was not so lucky and it is the reason why I now have two bonnets, one with some damage on the front left... Also the front bumper (left corner) is damaged so if anyone has a non-M bumper please let me know...

14. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

Glad to hear you're okay. Deer can be really nasty if your car goes underneath the body.

My correct shocks are the same as yours, 350N. My bonnet is no. 996 (car assembly no. 18643, not too far before yours!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I checked both bonnets for marks and found them different.
    My 1995 bonnet (original to the car) has an unreadable plate on the left hand side and no other marks. The much lichter replacement bonnet, presumed 1996, only has a mark near the front of the car.