355 - New carbon trim in, suspension light on.... | FerrariChat

355 New carbon trim in, suspension light on....

Discussion in '348/355' started by Subarubrat, Sep 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I replaced my sticky and peeling laminated dash, center, and gauge trim with the Valence stuff. It looks perfect and was a smoking deal on ebay for a full thousand less than the set goes for from them directly (pulled from a wrecked car). I also replaced my problematic fold out screen radio with a new one that does exactly what I want, no more and no less.

However, after completing the install my suspension light comes on when I put it in sport mode and I am pretty sure it does not transition the shocks to sport mode. I recall that if you move the car with the dash unplugged you can create this fault so I avoided doing that, but almost certainly this was an accidental doing on my part. I searched the forums but can't find the reference to it or how to clear it, anyone recall?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You're probably confusing the discussions about airbag lights with suspension lights. On many F355s, the suspension light will come on if you turn on the ignition 3 times without moving the car and you have to drive the car to reset the light. The airbag light will come on permanently if you turn on the ignition with the binnacle dusconnected.

It sounds like you've driven the car and the suspension light has come on only when you've selected sport, so it's probably coincidence that your suspension light has come on after your panel refit. It sounds like you have an actual fault. You will either have to take it to someone with an SD tool or go through the process of checking all your suspension actuators for movement and broken parts.

WATSON likes this.
  3. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think you are right that I am conflating the two topics, thanks! No airbag light is present. I have driven the car once since the install, I will give it a few more drives and see if it clears, if not I will examine the actuators for the usual faults.

Qavion likes this.
  4. Shurik355

Shurik355 Formula Junior

May 19, 2013
    USA Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Alex Velet
    How do you examine the actuators for the faults?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    You look for broken teeth and other broken components on the actuator and strut, but also the actuator should run through a test cycle when you turn on the ignition: Observe its behaviour with the actuator removed from the strut. Of course, that's a two man job. If I remember correctly, someone also said you can sometimes detect abnormal behaviour with a stethoscope (with the actuator fitted).

If you live close to a Ferrari centre, it may be easier just to get them to check the system (rather than pulling the car to pieces). For the front actuators, you have to remove the front luggage compartment liners. For the rears, you may have to remove the engine bay side covers with a 3.5mm allen key.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That carbon looks really cool with those leather/carpet colours, Scott :cool: (much nicer than with other colours, I think)

7. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks great!

8. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Looks great! Where did you get the radio surround in carbon fiber? Is that valence? I thought they're out of business.

9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    have a look at Ratarossa's video on suspension - a lot of useful info here and some great tips on how to fix cheaply.

10. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    Qavion likes this.
  11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3