488 - GPF exhaust solutions for Pista | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 GPF exhaust solutions for Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Soup Nazi, Sep 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #26 Shadowfax, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    It only opens them so to keep a static balance in the pipe between the gates and valves. No CEL apparently doesn't mean the AF ratios haven't been altered to compensate. The pressure sensor upstream will trigger that for sure. Down stream there is none in Pista which is likely why no CEL but in saying that how many Kms have you done and how hard have you pushed and, for how long? A change in flow and pulse direction will also trigger so I'm told. In race the valve operation is very smooth and seamless I've found. In 488 you could really tell when the valves were opened. Not near as much in Pista where the valving and wastegate system feels far more seamless in operation overall.

PS its a good sign you havent triggered a CEL with the valves in full open.

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and 458-Italia like this.
  2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I haven’t even broken the car in yet. Will let everyone know if I get a CEL. Easy enough to put back to stock. Interesting that the techs I’ve spoken with act as if it’s perfectly fine. Another case of great information flow from Ferrari.
    I pushed my previous Ferrari’s pretty hard as far as rev range including the 488s. Did not have any CELs. Will query service some more .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Soup Nazi=> not sure why such name is allowed? I know it’s a Seinfeld episode but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT and ttforcefed like this.
  4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Yes it is from a Seinfeld episode. A very funny episode at that. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as a screen name, IMO. Much bigger things in life to get upset about than someone’s screen name on a forum!!

5. Soup Nazi

Soup Nazi Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, however do not have time, unlike many of you who are retired, to take time out of their day to take pictures with news papers besides their cars to prove someone on a forum who I never met or care to wrong.

With that said, here are a few pictures of my cars together that I already possess. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login \ Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Now regarding the thread subject, thank you for the input, however if there is no GPF, why is there no contradistinction as to the different manettino modes and the exhaust note, and furthermore why does it sound very nice upon warm up and quiets down after that?

6. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    To answer your question, that's because of the OEM valved muffler. I don't want to say all but most new cars with a valved exhaust system have a default open position so that the Catalytic Converters can get to operating temp faster. This is what we call "Cold Start".

Just a warning about plugging your vacuum line to keep your valves open. The Portofino checks vacuum during start up so if it doesn't see the required amount the vehicle will not start. This does not apply to the 488 and the Pista from what I know, but who knows all it takes a software(ecu) update for Ferrari to make this a thing.

That being said we do have great system available for the Pista!

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Soup Nazi

Soup Nazi Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    Any solutions, aside doing a full exhaust with race cats and software, which would void warranty?

8. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Just doing the exhaust opens it up a good amount.

9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Beautiful Pista OP, funny how people thought you were trolling by proposing the 488 sounded better lol. I bet it's just at lower cruising RPMs where the 488 is very deep and boomy, but once you get on it you'll hear the iconel exhaust and engine come to life

10. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Thanks for your original post and pictures of your beautiful cars. It always amazes me how some self appointed guardians of the galaxy make false diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Boomhauer, spyderman and Ash Patel like this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Nice paint! Sorry for mistaking you as a troll. Just too many of them. You have no idea... Wonder how F8 will sound compared to Pista when everything is warmed up. Maybe the Pista is going to be much better than the F8 already! I don't have a Pista but was just at San Diego dealer yesterday. They are asking for 100k above. Launch spec. Really lovely in person. Congrats on your collections!

12. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I'm curious to see how much the F8 will actually be toned down by the GPF.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's not saying much...

What about this? An 18 TPI cobalt saw blade has rarely let me down

Ray

Katonk and IloveGT like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sorry I'm unable to answer for your techs - can only report on what mine informed and he's head problem solver here. Keep in mind this engine works completely differently to other turbos where the waste-gates dump all the excess boost and, where its beneficial to have no back-pressure post turbo. Fwiw he also explained how F8 will be impossible to play around with due to having a pressure sensor between the turbo and GPF as well as sensors upstream. So if any of these sensors detect even the slightest change in back-pressure or flow and pulse then the engine just won't run properly. So fun times ahead there for the aftermarket boys. Looks like you may have to put the hacksaw away this time Ray!:D

of2worlds, 458-Italia and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Recirculate all the gases! Should be an fun car to get started on.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I was at the F8 launch in Sydney and unlike the launch of the Pista in Melbourne they let the car idle and rev it a LOT. Never really got to hear the F8 properly.
    Tomorrow is the reveal in Melbourne . This time ill be telling them to start it and rev. The wastegate info is correct ( built an engine with a guru family in Turbos ) We were able to control by gear , ECU with a wastegate and blow off valve in tandem. Love to see the whole engine setup.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Soup Nazi

Soup Nazi Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    Will the exhaust skew with the vacuum lines and back pressure?

18. Soup Nazi

Soup Nazi Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    Thank you, gentlemen.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That has got to be one of the most beautiful Pistas I’ve ever seen either live, or on the internet/magazines. Glorious spec, very nice taste. Extremely elegant.

Enjoy in good health, my fellow Seinfeld fan!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SECRET and DGPF like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Nice Pista! Congratulations! My Pista sounded noticeably less loud than someone else's where I am having the car detailed and clear filmed and the owner told me he thinks his exhaust has opened up/ broken in/ around 800 miles or so. Both cars were just run a bit so I don't think its the case of one with a real cold start.

I think the best move here is to live with the car, put some miles on it, see what you think. I've learned not to rush to judgement when it comes to these newer cars, they often take a little time to get to really know all the subtleties- even though you can get the basic sense fairly quickly.

21. Soup Nazi

Soup Nazi Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    Thank you very much for the kind words, given I drove it today, I'll snap some pictures and make a new thread.

Perhaps I will wait it out, don't have more then 60 miles on it yet. Thank you for reminding me, 488 exhaust only opened up when I hit 3k miles.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Definitely take pics and enjoy it! :)

AlfistaPortoghese and Soup Nazi like this.
  23. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Soup- what color is that interior?

24. Soup Nazi

Soup Nazi Rookie

Jan 18, 2007
    It’s ‘07 formula 1 Ferrari red, same as the stripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Gorgeous spec! Bianco italia?