Buying a 2015 458 for $126K, is it a scam? | FerrariChat

Buying a 2015 458 for $126K, is it a scam?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MacDemarco, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    have your local dealer run the vin to confirm its a US car. then pay someone to go inspect it. if you post the vin here you might find some info as well

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    The vin is ZFF67NFA5f0210042.

I've never done a PPI before, is that what's your saying when you say pay someone to go inspect it? The car is in Poland, which he offered to deliver it to the U.S. Where would I take the car to get it inspected?

I'm just a little suspicious, $126k for a 2015 Ferrari with 4k miles.. WTH? Is there a reason why someone would want to sell below market value?

4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Sorry. Sounds very suspicious. If there's one thing I learned in life and continues to be reinforced is "you get what you pay for and you get nothing for nothing." If you decide to go ahead with it I wouldn't release funds to any 3rd party of the seller's choice. Have the transport company deliver the car to your door, inspect it and then wire the money to the seller if you're satisfied. But truthfully this sounds like it was taken from the SCAM 101 playbook.

DefunctNeurons and VAF84 like this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  6. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Thanks the for the insight. I'm going to ask him what 3rd party vehicle delivery company it is.. that should help with the legitimacy wouldn't it? Curious what could go wrong for me if I do decide to go forward with the 3rd party? That means I would have the vehicle in person and then he gets the money. Maybe someone can enlightenment on situations like this

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    before you do that you shld call the dealer from the carfax i posted and see if they know anything...

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Hmm so there's 12,360 on the odometer and his post and email said there was 4,859 mileage...

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the car was at ferrari newport beach 2 months ago....call them

vraa likes this.
  10. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    What exactly do I ask them?

11. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It's obviously a scam. This scam is rampant across the internet with everything from cars, boats and aircraft being hocked in the exact same manner.

It's really easy to distinguish a scam from an actual sale: "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is." Words to live by.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Come on man are u serious? U have the means to buy a 150k car and don’t know what u shld ask them? Are u a kid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    The problem with this deal Mac is that the seller is picking the 3rd party. Do you know or have access to this party? Not good. Ask him if he'll let your attorney hold the money and release it if you're satisfied with the car. I doubt highly he'll agree to it.

15. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Sorry. I've never done anything like this. Put yourself in my shoe. I call up Newport and ask them "um hi, do you know anything about this 2015 red Ferrari, the vin is ###" how are they suppose to know if the seller wants to sell it privately. It's not their business. That's why I asked you what exactly do I tell them to pin point to this situation.

16. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Makes sense. Thanks Graz

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  17. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    First off, thanks for asking in the forum. The only dumb question is the one unasked.

I agree with the others that it is a scam. The wording is, like others here said, the exact same as other scams. Also there is the mileage discrepancy (and it is not a Km <> miles conversion error).
    He probably copy/pasted the pictures off of the Newport Beach posting

FPFaeth, Ash Patel and MacDemarco like this.
  18. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    95% sure this is a scam.
    I have seen a similar approach with other non exotic cars.
    The tip off is paying the transportation company and not him directly.

tres55 and VAF84 like this.
  19. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Guarantee this is a scam.

Just tell the guy that you've got a friend who lives nearby that you'd like to have come check out the car. He'll undoubtedly make all sorts of excuses as to why that can't happen.

LightGuy and VAF84 like this.
  20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Ya, like he's meeting with a Libyan prince who is transferring gold bullion to his grandmother, and can you help with the shipping costs for a piece of the action?

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ask them if they know about the car being shipped to poland after they serviced it as you are looking to bring it back...just get a general history on the car from them since they sold it new and serviced it

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you pass on the car let me know...this one is worth figuring out from an economic and enjoyment perspective

sampelligrino likes this.
  23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    If it sounds too good to be true....

Viperjoe likes this.
  24. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    It's a scam. 1000%. PLEASE don't engage these "sellers" who just rip off legitimate ads and try to steal your money.

19633500GT likes this.
  25. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    There is a city in Poland which is called Hackertown, because all the hackers sit there. This type of scam is very well known. The transportation company mentioned does not exist, so your money will be lost.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.