Warning about two 430 Scuderias on the market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Warning about two 430 Scuderias on the market

Discussion in '360/430' started by cozmo920, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I really think we should expose these dealers. A licensed Ferrari dealer should disclose EVERYTHING they know or have reason to believe. Maybe I'm naive, but I do expect more of these guys.

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Gotta say the dealer in CA I got my '03 360 from was not much different from a local Toyota dealership. I expected more too.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  3. cozmo920

cozmo920 Karting

Nov 3, 2012
    The 3rd Scud I eluded to popped back on the market. Not as bad as those other two, but some concerning finds revealed by the inspection. PM me for details if you are strongly interested in it.

Vin: ZFFKW64A980164633

Side note the color is: "Nero Daytona" not just "Nero" not sure why 2 dealers now cant understand this, and really limiting their prospect base...

4. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    That is being sold in GA, a google search turned it up by VIN. Been looking at that one, good to know. What are its issues?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    It's in Georgia? I thought it was at Mclaren Philadelphia. Where did you go to look at it in Georgia?

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Just ran the vin on google, then showed the GA dealer site with the VIN on the page.

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    There yesterday, gone today.......

8. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009
    Thanks for sharing...it's scary.

I guess it's safer if it's Ferrari Certified

9. Sparty21

Sparty21 Rookie

Apr 21, 2018
    Naples
    So the 2nd one is at a local dealer of mine.I had interest in it until i searched the VIN here and found this discussion. Can anyone elaborate on how it was confirmed that it was resprayed? The car is in excellent paint condition and this sounds why it might be. I havent had it inspected yet either.

If anyone here can post more details, i am all ears and its much appreciated. I can get the car sub 180k which isnt awful but if it has a history, i am out!!

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think once it has been tagged in a thread like this, you should walk, unless there is some extremely compelling evidence to the contrary.

Sparty21 and Flea7 like this.
  11. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    i think i mentioned this in another "Shopping for a scud thread", gonna be pretty hard to find a scud in good condition waiting for its new owner. Person who would buy a scud over a regular 430 can already be profiled as someone who is probably gonna cause alot of wear on the car and do a fair bit of "crazy" driving, and i'm being generous when i say this, god forbid he mods stuff on an already "mod-ed" car. (scud is a mod-ed 430, albeit by the people who made the car).

Unless you're prepared to overhaul the car and probably replace the drive train, and money is of no concern, i would strongly advise against buying a scud. Dont be fooled even if it has low mileage.

Manda racing and Sparty21 like this.
  12. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    My understanding is when a car is painted by a machine the thickness is thin and when it’s applied by a human it’s thicker.

13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Usually it's because the starting point is the original paint rather than bare metal.

14. lewishou

lewishou Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    Atherton, CA
    Hello Everyone,

Since I am seriously considering buying a Scuderia, I appreciate threads like this that would steer me from certain cars that seem appealing at a glance. Please kindly post or pm me if you know of cars currently on the market that have hidden history to stay away from. Thank you much!

Lewis

15. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    same here, i will look at the black one in Charlotte shortly but heard some scary things.. all thought nothing exactly. i understand the meaning of preowned vehicles, however i dont want to buy a lemon.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I see. Thanks.

But in theory a conscientious body shop could strip back to bare metal, and repaint? I know this is a question for another thread, maybe another forum.

17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nothing to do with how "conscientious" the body shop it, it is all about economics. No insurance company will pay for a bare metal strip, nor will the majority of owners. Short of repainting an entire car from a bare metal strip, "blends" are necessary to gain a uniform appearance/color to the paint between panels or one long one that transitions to a A or C pillar. So variance in paint thickness is inevitable in a repair.

18. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    Agree with this. However, touch up painting both technology-wise and skill-wise has come a long way. The basic theory is of course the same, but experienced paint shops can do it so its almost non-detectable by the naked eye, unless you view the exact spot with lighting at a specific angle. Nonetheless, you're right of course, technically heh. The bottom line is, if you're paying 80 - 200 dollars for a touch up paint job, you're gonna get your 80 - 200 dollars worth. It wont be a perfect 100% to match what it was before the damage of course.
    My 2 cents, cheers. Bit off-topic heh.

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is not what we are talking about. We are discussing paint thickness, and how you can detect a repainted area, no matter how expertly matched it is, via the thickness of the paint. Stripping it to bare metal, prevents it from being excessively thick, which can be detected by various methods.