Buying a 2015 458 for $126K, is it a scam? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buying a 2015 458 for $126K, is it a scam?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MacDemarco, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and it newport knows the current owner is they shld let him know his vin/car is being used in a scam

2. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    I think the OP wants this to be true and he is going to get a "great deal".

The seller is a "doctor" and too stupid to know market value. Shipping companies ship goods they don't act as "intermediaries" in transactions.

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Scam. Period.

Demand to open an escrow for the transaction and ask him for the location of the car and say you have a friend nearby who can check out the car. Better yet, tell him to FaceTime and show you the car in real time.

So many ways to validate the ad and the seller. Don't let your desire blind you. The scammer and con artist rely on the victim having one thing to succeed - greed.

You always get what you pay for.

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mac,

You’ve been handed precious, solid, lucid, mature and prudent advice. A wiser man than me once said something along the lines of: “A wise man learns from his mistakes, but a prudent man learns from the mistakes of others”.

In this day and age, selling or buying a car to/from a private party is radical sport. Don’t know where you’re based, but I guess wherever you are, you don’t need to risk it this much to buy a 458. I’m sure you’ll be able to find a properly sorted out car near where you’re based, that you can visit, inspect and even perhaps test. Unless you’re in my country (Portugal), where there are just 3 (yes, three!) 458s for sale. And even so, a less than 2 hour drive gets you to Spain and a nice stock of cars.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

ScottS, EastMemphis and soulsea like this.
  6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    That is awesome, Nuno.

Another one is good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

AlfistaPortoghese and Elisesko like this.
  7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    This is a scam through and through.

We get this nonsense all the time, ask any dealer how many calls they've had asking to export a car.

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ve seen those exact pics on other listings. I am kind of a car shopper nerd. I have hundreds and hundreds of vehicles that I am following online. I get alerts when prices get reduced or cars get sold. I have seen those exact pictures multiple times. Red alert.

greg328 likes this.
  9. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Yes dude its a scam. Dont get your hopes up just move on.

10. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Ditto on seeing these exact photos in other ads. Two years ago before I bought my 458 I saw these exact photos on Autotrader and, I think, Car Gurus. Total scam.

11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    He wants to import a US car that went from Cali to Poland back to the US. What do you think?

12. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    Really? A discussion about whether this is a scam?

Alcav5, greg328 and AD211 like this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I could swear I saw them in the Fchat classified section. If I remember correctly the seller had a white McLaren 650S at one point.

14. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Scam scam scam. That’s a $200k car. You couldn’t buy a 2010 with 50k miles for $126k unless it was in bad shape. Run away and don’t even look at ads that aren’t in line with others on price and in-country (unless buying from well-known dealers.) And even that can be risky. See Champion Porsche and GT3 RS.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Avia11 likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    If it hasn't been said enough, this is a scam...

17. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I'd mess with them a little and say, "This sounds amazing, definitely interested! I've actually planned a trip to Europe next week and can come look at the car in person!". Guessing their next move will be to ask you for a deposit to hold it.

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Makes a change from Nigeria i suppose:rolleyes:

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I agree - everyone is so boring!

20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Y'all should consider that screwing around with a scammer can have no positive outcome. Dealing with criminals, on any level, is bound to cause some sort of undo harm to you or your family. The more they know about you, the more they are interested in you, the more they will dig into your personal affairs. So unless you have a title like "District Attorney" or "Special Agent", I suggest going 100% quiet.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I take the other side. We shld try and figure who owns the car and let him know his car and vin are being used to steal money.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  22. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    You don't answer your phone to scam calls with "Hello, this is the FBI"?

I do. :D

IloveGT likes this.
  23. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  24. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Aint that the truth... When I first put my Mondial up for sale, it seemed half the population of Nigeria was interested in buying it, judging by the number of emails I got on a daily basis until I was fed up and removed the ad.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    All you seasoned buyers of exotic cars may think it's silly to use an intermediary or broker to buy a car but for me, it was a no brainer. When I was ready to buy, I contacted Mike of Yellow Compass Group to find me the perfect car. We worked together for a few weeks and at the end of the process, I had a car that fit my requirements for the amount of money I wanted to spend. The process was simple, straightforward and de-risked significantly from me just going out into the world and trying to trust people I don't know.

While the OP may think he can get a good deal on his own, since he didn't recognize this as a scam within minutes, he's apt to get himself skinned. Do yourself a favor. Contact Mike or someone like him and let them help you navigate these difficult waters.