Glickenhaus' SCGs | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Glickenhaus' SCGs

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Igor Ound, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What a great video!

What's interesting is he explains a bit about the styling of the cars. Some have criticized them as being "retro" and stealing from the past. But the US regulations REQUIRE him to do so because the odd ball law he's under was set up really for replicars and not totally new designs.

Good to see Jim here just being himself. He's a funny guy.

NürScud and 9nb like this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Baja Boot
    SGC says all five of its two-door Boots for this year are already sold out, ..... Once the two-door models are set, a four-door version of the Boot will follow for 2021.
    https://www.motor1.com/news/365357/first-sgc-baja-boot/

so many completely different projects going at once, it's crazy, but, he's getting it done.

NeuroBeaker and 9nb like this.
  4. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Very impressed and love what he is doing.

9nb, NürScud and BJK like this.
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Wonder what the relationship between Jim and Jalopnik is like

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Jalopnik needs content and gives exposure, Jim provides content and gets exposure. win/win
    All Jim's SCG content appears on his Twitter and Facebook feeds.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Might be wrong but by the way they always write about him was of the impression he provided them with something more than just content...

8. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    You mean the way a major manufacturer does so through paid advertisements and trips to exotic locals w/ gourmet dining and 5 star resort stays for drive events? Does he do the same for all the great coverage from R&T and the euro mags? Maybe he just walks in their offices w/ a shy grin and a stuffed Halliburton Miami Vice style. Doubtful. I know some folks aren't Jim fans, and they may even have legitimate reasons personally or professionally. Fine.I get it. But what he is accomplishing is nothing short of amazing. I have to follow through random FB posts due to his no longer being involved in Fchat, which sucks. I'm excited for his production cars, race cars, and the bad *ss boot. Rock on SCG!

johnhoughtaling, Hugh Conway and BJK like this.
  9. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nothing very different from manufacturers who treat journalists with regalia and the occasional "spy photos". Par for the course if you want to build cars and have people know about them.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Jalopnik usually does a “full disclosure” paragraph when they get freebies so was wondering about Jim

11. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    MK1044, Pawilly and G. Pepper like this.
  12. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    The rear wing is original NSX-ish, they seem to have raised it. Love the idea of a manual 3 seater though! Hope to see them getting built soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    The car uses many design elements from some great cars of the past, much like any modern design many things have been done before. I think its a super fresh take and certainly the best looking exotic to ever be thought of on American soil.

ross and 9nb like this.
  14. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Congrats to Jim and Co for an amazing showing at the Baja 1000 and handing it to Ford in the Class 2 spec race to take the win. Certainly this truck has a bright future and should be an instant want for any off-road gear-head. Doesn't look too bad either...... Great shots, credit to the photographer Boyd Jaynes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tenney and 9nb like this.
  15. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    9nb likes this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I could easily be classified as a JG nayser... but even I have to admit... this is a nice looking car. I think the program is ridiculous... but its a pretty car

rob lay and G. Pepper like this.
  17. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    What program? NHTSA status?

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    His whole NHTSA status and the engines and sales program he is running

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #171 Igor Ound, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    they won in a class of 2 after the others retired?
    Of the 124 finishers they weren’t last overall for about 10 seconds. Hardly a success imo
    Reminds me of the class win at the N24 in which they were the only ones running

technom3 and BOKE like this.
  20. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Humm tough crowd. It’s a stock car, it finished, that’s 100% success In a race like that. If your car was the first to DNF then that car is last place. Can you cite how many cars DNF? The fact you don’t see it as a true accomplishment is lost on me but you seem like a rather salty character. The Ford did not finish nuff said. There is no one else willing to try a Baja run in anything remotely street-able. Doesn’t exist. I think it’s an amazing thing....

Running a personally engineered car at n24 and finishing is an amazing accomplishment. Getting to 1st OA for many hours is incredibly impressive. Surprised you think that doesn’t matter.

With the sports cars, small manufacturers use sourced engines for a time in almost 100% of the cases. These small blocks make sense. They were good in Vettes, they may very well be legendary in this body. An LT5 is quite a potent package don’t let it fool you. The fact it uses old school engineering is endearing and a nod to America’s motoring history. They will likely never be repeated either going to Turbos now. The LT5 May be the pinnacle of supercharged engines.

21. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    88porsche944 likes this.
  22. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    There were two cars competing in Class 2. One was Ford Motor Company with a plan to promote the accomplishment of winning for one of its most important product relaunches for the company. This was a full Ford Motor Company effort for the Bronco. The other car was from Glikenhaus, who was hoping to do the same. The soundly beat Ford in the contest over 1,000 miles. You may think it's not much of an accomplishment, but Ford Motor Co disagrees, as does the guy that beat them. Plenty of enthusiasts are impressed. It's ok not all are. They never all are.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Tenney, 88porsche944 and rob lay like this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    All about survival. SCG had a broken spindle, then brake caliper. HOURS of repair time. The Ford just had more problems than SCG.
    TOTAL STARTERS: 264, TOTAL FINISHERS: 145 (54.92 percent) (cut-off time of 34 hrs)

Igor Ound likes this.