Past / Current (not future) 458 Market | FerrariChat

Past / Current (not future) 458 Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DoubleD33, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I hope this does not turn into a foreseeing the future thread.

I have been in the market for a 458 Spider for a few months. I see asking prices all over the place and cars that seem to have been for sale for a while. (Looking at Carfax and googling vin numbers to see them for sale at multiple places for a while). All speculative numbers and asking prices until sold. Some dealers have equivalent cars for cheaper than private parties and some used car lots have stupid high prices. It is So Confusing to get a read on the market.

What is the general flavor of what one should pay for a nicely optioned spider (LED wheel, a touch of carbon, etc...) with around 20 to 30k on the clock? (Oddities such as tailor made or unique orders aside)

What is the flavor for mileage trip points in premium pricing. 10k, 20k, etc...?

How long has the market been like this?

Thanks

2. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    In my experience, the 458 coupes and spiders that have been sitting are the less desirable ones and are priced at a premium. No one is picking those up. However, when a nice car hits the market it disappears overnight. This makes it seem like the prices are all over the place. For example, I saw this beautiful 2014 canna di fucile 458 coupe that was at Ferrari of Beverly Hills. It was priced a little high but it literally went overnight. Ultimately it just comes down to how desirable the spec is. I'd wait for the right one to come along. A nicely optioned 2014 or 2015 spider with less than 15k miles seems to be going anywhere from 220-250 depending on the miles. Older models and coupes are usually a little lower. Most well-optioned cars have at least 7-15k miles on them as well. The selling price of a nicely optioned 2015 458 spider has definitely gone up over the course of the year by at least 10-20K, probably because there are buyers competing for the nicer builds (low supply/high demand). I just got offered a premium on a buy back offer for my 2015 spider that I bought less than a year ago.

Caeruleus11 and DoubleD33 like this.
  3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    This was my experience a year ago, and seems to have stayed true for the past year. In my case, there are/were 14-25 white Italias that no one is buying, but when my ideal spec came up every couple of weeks, it was gone in under 24 hours. I lost two before I finally got mine. I paid more than I was expecting and bought it before they even posted pictures online, but a year later you will not find my spec just sitting on AutoTrader/Cars.com. Doesn't happen.

In the end, AutoTrader/Cars.com will give you an idea of prices. If you aren't picky, I'm sure you can scoop something up for $10k less than whatever the posted price is. Just throw out some offers and see what comes back. Personally, I would either spend whatever it takes to get your ideal spec, or spend as little as possible on a very high mileage car that has already taken the bulk of depreciation.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
  6. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Interesting ascertain on the newer models. I never looked at it like that.

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Don't want to refute your point and I actually agree with you, but if that CDF coupe you are talking about was the one with the cuoio interior with race seats and alcantara inserts on the seats - it definitely did not sell overnight. I thought it was silverstone so we could be talking about different cars, but I saw that Italia in the showroom a couple months apart. Apologies if I'm mistaken

8. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I don't think it was that one. This one was different, it had a black interior, black sports seats with white dots, and the tricolor stripe down the middle. It had the tricolor badge on the back end. it was stunning.

i might be wrong about the dealership, i'm helping a friend find a nice 458 and she sends me links from time to time.

sampelligrino likes this.
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Three years ago I was in the market for 458 Italia and missed buying two cars by literally hours. I watched Autotrader like a hawk and when a 2k mile ideal spec hit the market, I bought it same day. And this was after over 12 months of shopping. Well-spec'd, well-maintained 458's have been hot for a while and apparently continue to be so.

Avia11 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #10 PA Wolfpacker, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    If you haven’t already be sure to check non-Ferrari exotic dealerships. They tend to have some cars that are not listed on the internet. Also, be patient and take your time and only pull the trigger when you find what you want. The exotic market is saturated with used cars now and auction prices continue to drop, you will be able to get what you want at a good price.

Good luck.

PS. Here is a loaded ‘15 Spider for sale at the dealer that purchased my car. White/red at a good price. I am very confident you can negotiate a much better deal.

https://www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com/vehicle-details/2015-ferrari-458-spider-convertible-a834a0307ba44947850633ed7d35c4b7

DoubleD33 likes this.
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I agree. It took me months to find the one that checked all the boxes. It does take time and patience to find “the right one” but when you do jump all over it.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Took me 2+yrs to find my 458 Spider...and when it came on market I bought same day. When I went to sell it, gone by dealer in 2 days.
    2015 red/black racing and EVERY option, 4K miles IIRC when I sold. $230k mint.
    You need to call the F car dealers and tell them what you want and have them look also.

13. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just purchased a 2011 458 Italia, full carbon package, led on steering wheel, full 3M bra, 7000 miles, custom wheels, car lift option for $179K. The car never made it to Autotrader. I called the dealership (Marlino Performance Auto Sales) as they have a 2014 458 but I just did not like the red blocks on the seats. When I called him, he told me that he just received a car in trade - and that is the one I purchased.

I know it is not a Spider, but hopefully the numbers will help you.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  14. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I agree with the posts above, as I recently purchased a 458 Spider. Be patient, the right car will come along. Once in a lifetime deals occur every two weeks.

15. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Searched for my ideal spec for a year and a half. I’m picky. Willing to wait and to pay. Lots of low and mid optioned cars out there. A “good enough” car comes along every few months. No thanks. I had the mindset - if I’m gonna do it I’m not messing around

3POINT8 and DoubleD33 like this.
  16. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    I have a real-world and personal experience on past and present 458 market values, despite I am talking about EU and not US.
    I am now close to buy a 458 Spider that is same color combo as the one I bought exactly 3 years ago.
    Buying from an official Ferrari dealer, with Power warranty in both cases.
    The car I am looking at now is better equipped (it has race carbon seats, suspensions lift and cruise control), lower mileage (around 30'000km vs around 40'000km) and 2014 vs 2012, and the price is just a bit more.
    So, as far as my personal case goes, I would say that the market value since 3 years is slightly decreasing, as I would tend to consider the equipment and mileage/year winning over the small price gap. As the market is made by thousands of cases, and I see a big spread in asking prices, I think we can generally say it is pretty flat.
    For those of us who like market models and nice looking market graphics, considering the market value is now under MSRP and flat, we can predict values going up in a few years. I am not sure, so I will first of all try to seal the deal for my new car, and then enjoy it, so capitalizing the fun one day I will resell.

17. Kris Dem

Kris Dem Rookie

May 19, 2019
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    I share the same experience with my recent ( 3 months old purchase) of a 2013 458 spider - market for the last 12 months is flat...
    A nice combo of red/cuoio or red/black + some carbon left and right is between 170-190k EUR in Europe below 30k KM ...

The nicely optioned cars are gone for 3-5days...
    If priced above 200k EUR they stay longer on the market.

White and black ones also stay longer unsold if priced higher.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I had a rosso corsa Ferrari once and everyone should have red at one point, imvho. But for me, once was enough. Never bought red again and never will.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

AD211 likes this.
  19. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    Rosso Scuderia is faster Nuno :)

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Few days ago, the F dealer just kept telling him to trade in the 458 because there is a very strong market for it currently. I politely declined. What a great car. If you see the spec you like, I say just jump! It is not uncommon to see a car disappear in 24 hours. Too many stories like that. I saw a beautiful spider and when I called in 2 days, it was just gone!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Same here. Also have been “courted” informally more than once to hand over my 458. No way, Jose.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I bought mine within a day of the seller listing it and there was tons of ppl calling. He even called me a month after I bought it and offered to buy it back for the same price, that he regretted selling. When you’ve got a great spec, there is big demand.

23. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I don't foresee ever selling it, and coming from me, that's a big deal, as I typically buy three or four cars a year. I had a 2011 Italia and a 2013 spider, and sold them as I thought there will be a better one coming in a few years. Sadly, the turbo era began for Ferrari and I completely regretted selling it. Recently, I found a perfectly specced (for me) 2013 spider, and I jumped on it immediately.

My friend (a well-known motor journalist) appreciated my purchase and called the 458 spider "a moment in time" car. I thought it was so well said. A time when the mid-engine V8 Ferrari was great looking, had all the modern amenities (including a fantastic retractable hardtop), a superb NA engine revving to 9000 rpm, a super fast yet smooth transmission, as light or lighter than any modern sports car (convertibles if we are comparing apple to apples), and makes amazing noises, yet daily-driveable with a large trunk for trips or shopping.

It is my favorite Ferrari of all the ones I have had over the years. :)

We are all lucky to have this car!

Avia11, Graz, Randyslovis and 2 others like this.
  24. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    meanwhile no dealers around here want 488s and 2 dont want pistas!

25. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    well said, agreed