FF “AWD” Tire replacement question | FerrariChat

FF “AWD” Tire replacement question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Fugy, Sep 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    Hello!

Just took delivery of a 2014 FF.

Question on replacing tires. I’ve owned a few AWD vehicles before and I understand the design on the FF is different then traditional AWD, but is replacing all the tires in an all-wheel-drive (AWD) vehicle when it is time to change one or two worn out tires still a common practice in these vehicles?

The lecture I always get is:
    If one of the tires is a different size than the others -- because three tires are worn and one is brand new -- the computer will take an incorrect reading and the differential will work too hard. Drive this way long enough and you'll burn out the drivetrain.

Would this be the same if the rear two tires are more worn than the front two tires?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on the FF!

I very much doubt the very slight difference in diameter between worn tires and brand new is a cause for problems. However, the relative difference in grip is a problem. In general, if you have to replace a tire that is fairly well worn, you will want to do it at least in pairs (ie both rear or both front)- and if they are pretty well worn, then you should really consider replacing all 4. This comes down to wanting to have consistent contact patches with the road. If they are not all the same (or what the engineers designed), then you are going to have problems.

With regards to the FF- the odds are you'll need to replace the rears first because these cars tend to get driven with gusto and the FF is more RWD than AWD most of the time. So they likely will need replacing, if the fronts are still good, then replace both rears. If one rear gets damage, and if the tires are pretty new (I would take a guess and say under 2k miles) then replace just the one, but these tires wear down fast. I had about 2,500 miles on my GTC4 and I got a nail in one of the rears- I was surprised how much I had worn the tires down. I could have replaced one but I decided to replace the pair. I like to drive with verve!

Il Co-Pilota, otakki and ANOpax like this.
  3. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    Thank you very much! That was very helpful~ I’m just glad I don’t have to replace all four tires everytime one tire is bad.

Cheers~

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have absolutely no basis for this response other than common sense (and i usually agree with caeruleus):
    u will be fine. as long as the actual tires sizes are consistent, replace as you wish.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I would not be that concerned with the AWD system - when you turn, the wheels will travel different distances on the left vs right side anyway, so it can't be that difficult. However the ABS sensors (which might be used for the AWD system) is a bit of another story, however if you break in a turn - well we are back in the left and right wheels will travel different distances again. No I can not see the problem with tires... Real Life is in the way ;-)

6. Fugy

Fugy Rookie

Sep 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sam Hsieh
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    For this 4RM system, the clutches that drive the front wheels were designed to be constantly slipping thereby allowing the two forward front gear ratios to run smoothly with the four gears they correspond with at the rear. Thus, the drivetrain is unlikely to be harmed with different wheel diameter.

IIRC, somewhere in the manual mentions the system gauging the four wheels during the initial ?1/4 mile. of driving. I'm guessing the system is checking tire slippage, rotation per distance, etc during that initial 1/4 mile.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Your car is set up to work as it should with different wear front to back - it has to be. There's always loads of ways to sell loads of tyres, this is one of them. I don't like the idea of a well worn tyre on one side and a new on the other but on the same axle though, that is noticeable, But cars, especially sportscars, wear front and rear tyres unevenly in relation to each other. Main reason to change all four even if one axle is not worn, is age. It's personal at this point, but i would never only change the tyres on one axle if they are more than 5 years old, especially if the car is sitting a lot. In that case, two years for me as tyres that sit has a tendency to crack.

Caeruleus11 likes this.